Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a question

Default Just a question

Hi Girls

I had a missed miscarriage this week, a d&c on wednesday. I can't go into how devastated I am right now, but i do have a question, sorry if TMI. I'm not bleeding anymore, but I do have a yellowish discharge. I was pretty out of it at the hospital, but I don't remember anyone saying anything about yellow! Now I've got myself all worried that I'm getting an infection or something. I don't really want to call my doctor at 9am on a sunday if it's nothing. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Hmmmm - I remember after my D&C I went a little yellow, then brown again, then yellow, then red, then brown. It all dragged on for a few weeks to be honest!!
    Just remember to be careful re sex and tampons - keep using pads, and I think the big one to indicate any problems would be an unpleasant smell from the discharge or pain in your tummy. Like bad cramps. But I think at the end of the day if you are at all concerned then contact your dr regardless of any advice you recieve here. There are only a coupleo f medical professionals on this site - and even then there is nothing better for your mind than a drs reassurance.

I'm so sorry for your loss - I had a missed miscarriage too, and it is heartbreaking. Please let us know when you are ready to talk about the loss, many of us here unfortunately understand the pain

Fi

Hi Sezjm
    I'm sorry for your loss. I, too, have just had a missed miscarraige so I know how devastated your feeling. I'm having a D&C tomorrow. I can't put into words how I'm feeling at the moment, just wanting it to all be over. If you want to PM me, please do so, otherwise I hope all goes well for you and your well again soon.

Just a thought, maybe you could ring the hospital where you had proceedure done and speak to them to ease your mind.
    Sorry Sezjm, I've had to edit this again as I didnt realise that we need to be platinum members to PM.
    Last edited by lilylou; July 16th, 2006 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks so much for the advice girls. I think I will call the hospital. I'm so sorry for both of you. All the best for tomorrow lilylou, just remember that you feel better each day. I'll be thinking of you. I will definitely be back to talk later.

Thanks Sezjm,
    I'm glad to hear that each day you feel better, so once I have this currette, I'll be looking forward to just getting back to normal. I'm a little scared right now as I'm spotting and have strong back pain, just hoping it all holds off until tomorrow. I'm also worried that they wont let me have a D&C tomorrow because it's starting to happen anyway, they may say 'just wait' (sorry if this is TMI) I really do want a D&C regardless. Hospital wouldn't do it on Friday, which I was devasted about, having to wait another 3 days has been a nightmare.
    Last edited by lilylou; July 16th, 2006 at 11:44 AM.

Lilylou - I had a similar experience. My brown very light spotting started on a Tuesday, and it was Thursday before I could have a scan and find out that my little one was gone, and was dated 9 weeks, not 11. I was told to fast for Friday morning and come in about lunchtime for the curette, and ended up being bumped off as I wasn't urgent. I decided to do on the Saturday adn luckily there were no emergencies overnight.
    My bleeding got a bit worse on the Friday, and the cramps got worse too, so I knew things were going to start happening on their own, but I too didn't want to be bumped off for the curette. I wanted it all out of me!!
    If its any consolation, my hospital gave me a couple of tablets to insert up my vagina that actually act like the abortion pill. According to them, the more things had started "coming away" the easier it would be for them to get it all during the procedure.
    So I dont think you should worry about them turning you away becasue you have started miscarrying naturally - I would be of the opinion they would want to get up there and do a clean out anyway.

I know alot of peopledo think itsa better idea and more natural to miscarry without the d&c, but I for one didn't feel that way.
    One good thing about a curette is it leaves you more fertile for about 3 months - so a good chance of trying again if you want to.
    Good luck for Monday - I hope things are as good as possible. For me waking up was the hardest, but I had a lovely recovery nurse who held my hand and stroked my hair as I cried.

Fi

Thks for this info Fi,
    It's a sigh of relief to know that I still can go ahead with D&C even though miscarrage is happening naturally. I've been stressing myself sick. I, too, was thinking they may bump be off as well because of this, but I really want curette for the same reasons as yourself. I have been told of tablets to soften cervix. It's good to know that it's easier for them to get it all if things have started already. Very relieved to read your post. I've also heard about a curette making you more fertile. I've noticed your pregnant now, congrats, how early did you try after curette and how long did it take to fall. (not long by the looks of things). I'm under the impression you need to wait until one af before trying again? Did you wait?

Yep - I was very lucky that AF returned 28 days after my curette. God I was happy!!
    We tried that month, and no luck, but the next month was the winner - so I had my curette at the start of Jan, and end of March/beg April got a positive result.
    Trying again was really, really stressful. We were at it hammer and tong as if we could replace what we had lost. DP ended up with "performance" issues, but dont let him know I told you!
    I think it would have broken my heart again if I had lost this one.
    For 2 months I had all the thoughts going through my head - what if they damaged something during the curette, and what if I can't get pregnant again. BUt we must be pretty fertile as I fell pregnant twice breastfeeding, and each time its only taken 2-4 months. So all good there.

I personally think its a good idea to wait one cycle. My first AF was very, very heavy and clotty after the curette, and it certainly felt like my body had cleaned itself out. I dont know why, but I would have felt like I wasn't providing a clean slate for the next baby if I hadn't waited for that. Does that make sense?

I was crying before when I typed my post about the recovery, and DP came through and asked me what was wrong. He hasn't seen tears about the m/c for a while, so I guess he was a little shocked. Its amazing how much it still hurts - even months down the track and with another baby growing healthily inside. I maintain, if you haven't been through this, its hard to know how devastating it really is.

Fi

sezjm,
    I am very sorry to read about your loss. Do take care of yourself.
    Debbie

Liliylou,
    I was wondering how you were going. So sorry to read of your M/C. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
    Big hugs,
    Debbie

Thks Fi for all the info, really does help with it all. Thanks Deb as well, I guess this one was not meant to be. Looks like I'm back again.

Sezjm, just wondering how you went, did you ring the hospital, what did they say? I can understand your concern with infection as it was explained to me as well, although rare. I gather if it was an infection, it would smell perhaps?
    Last edited by lilylou; July 16th, 2006 at 04:25 PM.

Lilylou, I think everything is okay, just a bit of paranoia! No smell or cramps, and I started spotting again. I can so understand you wanting the d&c. Fortunately, I didn't have to wait long, just overnight, but I couldn't wait to have it done. I also continued bleeding, but there was no question on the day, he just went ahead and did it. You just can't explain it, but the feeling that your baby died, but is still inside you is just too sad for words. My OB has asked us to wait two cycles before ttc. Which feels like forever, but I'd do anything to prevent this happening again!! Just too traumatic, for both of us. I had some spotting on Monday, but didn't freak out too much because I'd heard it was quite common ( and it stopped almost straight away), and I had an OB appt that afternoon anyway. By the time I saw my OB the ultrasound place had closed, but he wasn't too worried, he just wanted to put our minds at ease. By the time we had the ultrasound the next day I just knew something was wrong. I can't talk about the ultrasound yet, it was the most traumatic part of the week. Just rest up after the d&c, your hormones will be all over the place, but have a good cry if you need it. What time is your op?

sezjm - very sorry to hear about your situation, it's very painful. I've had eight miscarriages and with every single one, after my d&c's I always have various blood colours so it sounds normal to me but if it really smells for your own peace of mind get it checked out.

Most of my d&c's have still been performed even though I've started bleeding, it seems more painful when you have already started bleeding than not, going by my experience. I hope in time you'll feel comfortable sharing your feelings as I found this forum to be a very comforting place hopefully you soon will have that baby in your arms.

All the best for tommorow Lilylou, to both of you!!!

Thanks Deb for your support, it means alot to know there are people who understand what this is like.

Thanks so much Fi for all your info, esp about your first post d&c af. I'm sure you can understand that I'm very anxious for that to come. I just want to pregnant again. Just a query, does anyone know when they say to wait two cycles does that start from now? Or from the next af?

Thanks Kim, my heart goes out to you. You must be a very strong and brave person, I hope that you are holding that little bubba so soon.

aww thanks! I think I would have lost it without my boy hopefully he'll have a brother or sister eventually

I'd wait til you feel up too it, hard when your keen as to get pregnant again, follow your gut instinct, you know your body better than anyone

Kim, I agree with Sezjm, it must be hearbreaking for you to have gone through this so many times. I's sure Arden will have a little brother or sister soon. The forum has been a big help for me, I've been really struggling yesterday and today, sharing experiences and getting answers to questions helps with the healing.
    Sezjm, I understand you being paranoid, after something like this, it would be hard to not be parinoid. I need to be at hospital at 8.00am, they do D&C 1.30pm. I am feeling exactly how you were, there are no words to describe the feeling. I pleaded for the hospital to do it on Friday, so upset I couldn't have it done, I haven't been able to sleep. I had a feeling that something wasn't right with this pregnancy. A week earlier, I had even commented to my dp that I didn't think I was pregnant anymore, all of my symptoms just stopped, on Thursday I was driving into work, I ended up going to doctors instead. I requested an ultrasound. During the u/s, I was hoping all was OK but as soon as she said the date, I knew. My heart dropped. I imagine it would have been worse for you as you were not prepared. I, too, will try as soon as I can. The hospital said I could try as soon as I have one AF after curette. So, I guess your ob's is saying wait until you have two af's after curette. Like Kim says, see how you feel yourself.

Lilylou - I had the same thing. I had a severe bout of gastro at about 9w, and after than I never felt pregnant again. I mentioned it to my dr at my gastro checkup (I had been hospitalised for saline etc) and she said "Oh you are probably just getting to the end of the first tri". I knew something was wrong, and when the bleeding started she still didn't really get that worried. She wanted to refer me to a scan the next week!!!!! but I insisted on a scan the next day.
    When you know soemthing is wrong - its definitly wrong
    Take a iPod or soemthing like that in so you can chill out listening to nice music in hossy. I was very lucky that I had a whole shared room in orthapedics to myself, and my daughter to distract me. It would have been too hard to be in the gyn ward which is shared with the maternity ward. I also had a friend who is a theatre nurse, so she was great, and the midwife from when Jenna was bornwas keeping an eye on me too. Its so important to have people around who support you during this time, cause the last thing you need is people who dont understand!!
    Either take in an old pair of knickers that they can cut off and dispose of during the surgery or be prepared to wear their $hitty disposable ones that wouldn't hold a pad in a dream! I was bleeding pretty heavily and had really bad cramps by the time I was wheeled in, and all I could think of was that I was trying to hold the pad in tact with my knees!! Its so silly the things you remember later huh?

Sezjm - liek the others said - its all about your body, but if your OB is suggesting to wait 2 months, best listen to them. They have your interests at heart. I never actually talked about it to any medical professional as I didn't want to be told longer than a month. Aren't I naughty??
    I knew at least 1 AF was a smart option, but I wasn't prepared to wait any longer than that.

My Ob has really been wonderful, so I will definitely listen to him. I mean what's one more month? (Check back with me if four weeks time and see if I'm still saying that!)

I'm going back to work tomorrow, which I'm quite stressed about. The people I work with are lovely, and will be really supportive, but I know that it's going to be hard. Last time I was there I was pregnant. It sounds stupid, but everything is going to remind me of the fact that I was finishing at Xmas, and now I won't be. And out of ten of us, I'm the only one without kids! I know that it will be good for me, otherwise I'll just mope at home, but it's still going to be a hard week. We were meant to have our 12 week u/s on thurs.

Lilylou, I think an ipod is a really good idea. Or something to distract you. I don't want to stress you out further, but be prepared for it to be a really long day. Time drags. I'm sure you won't feel like sitting in front of the computer tomorrow night, but please let us know how you've gone as soon as you feel up to it. And any questions at all, or if you just want to chat, we'll be here. I will be thinking of you. And when you're waiting in theatre, just remember that you're in my thoughts. Wishing you all the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast