Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: early "toilet learning"

Great topic.

I'm thinking of TT Ela who is now one. Any pointers and tips as per SJ's thread above would be greatly appreciated!

I'm due in mid October and we're keen to try EC (at least part time) as well. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Tish

Wanting to do EC for the next one. DS has been toilet learning for a while now, I wouldn't call it TT, cos we haven't pushed it at all, he's just shown his own inclinations and awareness Can't take any credit for it except for buying a potty and a toilet step!
    Definitely interested in those split crotch pants for the next kidlet.
    I agree, TT and EC and toilet learning are two distinct processes.

thanks for that ..do they have books on "how to sit your toddlers butt on the potty and keep it there" coz hes a worm and wont sit on a toilet or a potty ....
    You don't have to sit them on a potty or toilet - you can also just hold them over it, or another larger receptacle. If only I'd known then what I know now!!! At least now I know why he wakes up overnight and seems upset.
    I've been reading Diaper-Free Babies and getting a lot more inspiration for the next one, and for getting DS night-dry - I think I missed the ideal boat with that one, a few months ago he was waking up night after night for a couple of weeks, with a dry nappy and now he's not

we have still been dong part time learning.
    MJ now wakes at night if she has a wet nappy, wanting a change, and if i put her on the potty after her 11pm feed (which is not really a dream feed as she has to wake) she will do a wee, often she will wake with a dry or near dry nappy and do a massive wee on the potty.
    She often does her first poo of the day on the potty too.

Just recently she has started to realise that she is weeing, when on the potty - maybe more due to the sound - she will stop mid stream and look up at me as if she realises whats going on. i then have to wait another minute for her to finish!

What i do for those that are interested...
    Fisrt thing in morning - get up and sit on the potty.
    Wait for a few minutes or until she protests (dont want to force her to be there) - regardless of whether she does something or not LOADS of praise for sitting there.
    If she does something there is extra praise and clapping and we often will look at it and say 'yay wee wee/poo poo on the potty" and clap.

I repeat this after feeds and just before bed, and before a bath.
    Also if she looks like she wants to poo i quickly take her to the potty and often she will finish the poo there.
    LAtely i have started the night time one, purely cos she protests to the wet nappy overnight, and she n longer sleeps through, so is up anyway.

We started when MJ was about 5 mths, could sit on the potty with minimal assistance.

The aim is to ovioulsy have her TT early, but also i figure if its not going to be, she will not resent or be frightened or not want to sit on the potty as it is something that she always does iykwim

HTH
    Last edited by Sammiejane; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12