Thread: Nappy Changing Nightmare!!

Default Nappy Changing Nightmare!!

DS has turned into a pain when changing his nappy. It has only really started to become a pain over the last few days, he flips himself over and cracks it big time when I turn him back. Tonight I had to get hubby in to try and help me hold him down while I put his nappy on!!! Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to lie still!! We have tried toys, stickers and music/singing, they work for a while but then the novelty wears off!!
    TIA

It's a pain isn't it? I've been using a toy- a wiggly giggler- that i only use for nappy changes. I shake it to make the noise then pop it on ds's stomach for him to grab... then change the nappy *real* quick!!

Oh Lee

I TOTALLY hear ya. It doesn't matter where I change DD - on the floor, on the bed on the change mat on the chest of drawers and it doesn't matter what I give her to play with, she's just a complete wriggly worm.

So at the moment, I'm doing it in two stages. I take the dirty nappy off on the floor and attempt to do a clean-up.

There is no way I can hold on to her long enough to get a clean nappy on so then I let her wander around for a few minutes with no nappy on and once I've got some energy back up, I put her on my knee and put her new nappy on.

When do they start wearing pull-ups?

I give Pip things to hold for me. Like his pants (put them on his face, takes a while for him to pull them off) and the cream and stuff. Otherwise if I blow a raspberry on his tummy, he giggles for a while and that lets me change the nappy. On really bad days, I use the safety strap on the change table.

Ummmm and I also put a small hook up on the wall next to the change table, *just* in reach if he stretches for it. I put a different thing on there each time - a sock, a toy, a pen, anything that gets his fancy.

Good luck - isn't it a pain?

There was a time when I could change a nappy while dd was on her tummy!! Tricks of motherhood

ATM dd is into her shoes, so I just pass that to her while I do her nappy. I have to be honest, she is a WHOLE lot better than about a month or two back. She still wiggels, but will lay still just long enough for me to get the nappy on ... getting dressed takes place ALL OVER THE house and in different positions ... again I am a wizard in dressing a child upside down

I do sometimes use my power as a grown-up and HOLD her down. That usually goes together with tears and big "if looks could kill" stares, but I have a thick skin .. so I tell myself

Other than what the ladies suggested ... have no idea. What about giving him a carrot/bone to chew on?? Not easy to bite, so less chance of him choking, but might just keep him still for about 2 seconds longer ... I hope that is all you need ...

I have no tips, only sympathy. DS does it every time. He is also really strong so theres no hope of my holding him down. I get DD to hold his legs so that he doesnt kick me at least.

I hear you ladies! DS actually tries to get up and run away. He is so strong and kicks so hard that I have little bruises on my thighs.

Yep i am joining the bandwagon on this one too! lol
    DD kicks me and screams... but only ONCE HER NAPPY IS OFF..... she is good to let me take it off but wont let me put on BACK ON!

rar!!!

i have a mobile above her head and that calms her for about 30 seconds lol

And lately give her her toothbrush (kill 2 bird with 1 stone lol) to brush with. but i am sooo slow that she is over it.

Perhaps we need training in super speed nappy changes! lol

paradise lost Guest

DD is past this now (or at least out of one phase and not yet into the next?) but here is what i was doing...

If it is just wet then i put a clean nappy, opened up, with 3 fresh wipes on it, onto the change area (mat, floor, lap, wherever). I lie DD on the nappy so it is directly in position to re-fasten. I undo the current nappy, holding her ankles firmly, whip off the wet nappy and drop it out of the way, pick up the wipes in a oner (i used 3 to get maximum coverage, but 1 would do for a smaller bum) and wipe her bum, drop her hips, wipe the front and fasten the new nappy. Then i release her, put the wipes into the wet nappy (i use sposies), roll it together and bin it.

If it is poopy but not sloppy i do the same as above but with more like five wipes underneath and leaving at least one covering the fresh nappy while i do the clean-up. If it is sloppy all bets are off and i just do my best to pin her down, usually by changing her on the floor and holding her feet in one hand and pinning her arms with my toes...

It does pass, don't despair!

Bx

I'm still waiting for DS to grow out of this.. at the moment he flings himself around everywhere and kicks my ever growing belly (which really hurts) and I have to use all my strength to hold him down. Its hard when I'm here by myself, but when DH is home is a little easier because he entertains him...

I've been waiting for him to grow out of it for about.. ohhh.. 7 months now...

pegasus Guest

Ever since she could roll, being on her back never lasted long. What i do now is give her books to read. Or I talk to her and tell her what I'm doing. Eye contact is key, so try to look at bub as much as possible. I'm using cloth 70% of the time (sposies for dad-times) and that is a little more difficult (I prefold the terry squares).

What I do is, get all the bits and pieces I need and about 5 little books. I lay her down and open up the new nappy. I get wipes out and pull her pants down. I put the new nappy under her bum and open up the old one. I use the nappy to wipe any poo off her in one swipe and leave it folded in half under her bum. I wipe her clean and remove the dirty nappy and wipes, straight on the floor (all soils are inside nappy) and cream and do up new nappy. The whole time I'm talking to her and she's reading.

Over time she's understood that if she just cooperates, I let her play. If she's naughty, by the time I've changed her, she goes into the cot for some alone time. So she knows now that she can play after I change her.

You can certainly put bub in pull-ups as soon as they fit. There's no reason why you can't use them well before TT time.

I've made a layby with a site to order a bunch of cloth pull-ups. I'll start using them at the end of the year, or possibly when she turns 2yo, whenever she starts fitting in them.

Good luck. I find giving her something I never let her play with, occupies her more than her own toys. Like I give her my phone (keypad locked).

Thanks for all of your suggestions!! This morning I tried the toothbrush and the remote for his radio, and it worked a treat!!! But I guess after a little while he will get bored with that and want to roll everywhere again!!!!
    I guess distraction is the key.
    Thanks again!!

paradise lost Guest

A word of warning for those eager to go to pull-ups - they are FABULOUS to get on, but when they are full of poopy they are not fun to get off - you tear down the sides but they are just always messy here, whatever i do. Also they are much easier for bubs to get off and nothing seems to be more interesting than making poo pictures on the walls at 4am when mummy is asleep...

Bx