Thread: teaching patience on the toilet

Default teaching patience on the toilet

We are in the process of TT'ing DD. She is not too bad with wee and indicates when she needs to do a poo, her main problem is that she is just not patient enough on the toilet. For example last night we were having a bath, she kept on saying poo, so I told her to get out of the bath and go to the potty or the toilet seat. She ran to the toilet, I could hear it flush and she came back, then went on again about needing to do a poo. This happened a couple more times, until she ended up pooing in the bath. Very frustrating as she is so close, but she needs to spend more than 2 seconds on the toilet and relax, how do we keep her on there for longer?

My SIL used to sit at the toilet door and read her dd a book... We've just started tting using a potty, and I've sat ds in front of the telly sometimes.

DoubleK Guest

Krystal is the same!
    althought we arent at the stage of her telling us she needs to go, i sit her on the loo a few times each day

she is more interested in putting her little seat on, sitting, getting some 'paper' then 'wipe bum' which means put the paper in the loo, hopping off, closing the lid and flushing.. turning off the light, closing the door and washing hands.... we do all this in about one minute i think!

mum suggested giving her a book to read, or reading to her.

Thanks for the tips - bit of hit and miss so far. Really depends on timing, time it just right she is happy to watch herself, other times she is still not patient enough and does not want me to read. Oh well lets hope this gets better.

Astrid - Lucie (and Ned) are TT atm and she is going great (touch wood) after a few false starts. I have found what works really well is after each wee and pooh we do the 'wee wee' dance or 'pooh' dance. God I hope my neighbours can't see/here us but we make a big deal of it and all jump up and down and dance and go silly. It has really worked and now she will go by herself and then come and find me and say 'wee dance?'. Let's hope she doesn't want to do it when we are out at the shops! Patience is hard with #2s though, but it seems to be coming together with the 'reward' of a dance waiting!

like the other have said read them a book but I am finding with DD2 that she just wants the book then jumps off and does a wee on the floor!!!

I used have the potty for my DS in frount of the TV so that when he was watching his shows he would just sit on that and then jump up if he did anything but this did not work for DD1 so each child is different..

All kids like to get a prize so maybe play her fav game or craft every time she does something in the toilet that way she will want to stay on there longer to get the treat iykwim.. Star charts are also good if she get a mths worth then she gets to buy something she has been wanting...

Its a bit harder for me ATM as mind still cant talk so we cant tell when she needs to go, So I am thinking of waiting a bit longer for DD2