Thread: wants nappy off but wont toilet train

Default wants nappy off but wont toilet train

DS is constantly taking his nappy off and saying he doesnt want to wear it.
    But he also doesn't seem ready to TT, he wants to sit on the toilet (wont sit on the potty, has to be the potty seat on the "big one") but apparently only because he thinks its fun, and likes to fluch the loo. We've stopped letting him fluch unless he does actually go.
    I tried putting him in undies, but he just hid when it was time to go ,and kept playing, I only found out whne I decided to try dsit him on the loo that he was soaked thru.
    H has told me before when he wants to poo, but not urinate, and I think only when he's slightly constipated does he actually know..

How am I going to know when he is actually ready?

Would he see training pants as undies? Like pullups or cloth training pants? They would probalby save a lot of clean up for you if he's not quite ready.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. We're planning to TT at the end of this month (possibly). So far he's only telling us after the fact that he's done a poo or wee.. but at least he's aware of it.

They kinda don't know they are ready till they do a wee on the potty/loo. So until he actually does it he will continue to have accidents. But you know what... thats ok Its all part of learning how his body functions. Have you thought of doing a potty party? We did this with Paris, and spent a day on the potty/toilet and I fed her all her favourite special drinks milkshakes, cordial etc to get her to stay there, we ready books and played. I also ran water (not something you could probably do now unless you have plants to water LOL and recycle the water ). Then when she went we blew blow out thingo's and had a big PARTY! We rang daddy, and then "Belle" from beauty and the beast rang to tell her how fantastic she was (a gf ) then after that a smartie every time she did a wee in the potty and then a sticker and eventually she was pretty much self taught. We only ever had one accident after that because mummy had forgot it was time to go!

Zavier is doing that too!!! Pulls his nappy off constantly, says wee wee, and goes straight away on the floor!!! So he knows its coming, but just a little too late!! Hang in there, it sounds like his getting close to TT, and he'll go properly soon enough!! All the mess is just great, isn't it...! I'm putting a few cheap potty's around so he'll catch one, and then we'll be off!!

He has gone a couple of times on the toilet, when he's woken up dry and I have put him on, but not when he has asked IYKWIM? I think we may have made it too much fun, in trying to make it not scary.

Hi rayray... my son went through the same thing...it took him almost 2-3 months of just "investigating" in the loo (flushing, playing with paper, lifting the lid etc) it drove me insane but he hated the potty.... Although not the nicest thing i found when ever we wanted to go we would take DS with us and tell him what we were doing... "mummy has to wee etc" DP found it hard as DS would try and touch or stare at his bit while going but he soon caught on that thats where you do it... wee's were no probllem and has been using the loo for 8 months now but has only just in the last week started doing #2's on there... He would hide and do it in his undies or do it in his nappy (night one before i had a chance to put him in undies)

I've been told by many parents that boys are the hardest to train and it has taken a long time but were finally on the right track... My DS hated the pull-ups as he thought it was still nappies....

Perseverance is the key but i would say... Once he wants to start dont go back... I did in the begining and it makes it worse and takes longer... Just stick to it and be patient it will happen just takes alot of time (and dirty undies)

Good luck

Imran is doing the same thing - he takes his nappy off and sits himself on the potty every time he gets a chance but he's just as likely to wee on the floor as in the potty.
    I think that in Imran's case he's trying to be like his big brother as well as being a committed nudist. On the ocasions that he's weeed in the potty I've jumped up and down and praised him and if he wees on the floor I pick him up and put him on the potty even if he's finished so he associates the wee with the potty.
    Does Milo have any signs/cues that he's about to go? Both my boys start to hold their penises when they feel a wee coming on so if I notice them doing it I try to get them to sit on the potty.

ETA - yep we had no luck with the pull-ups. It was only when I took the plunge and put him in undies that we made headway with Yasin. I think he thought the pull-ups were just a rather useless nappy.
    Last edited by Phteven; January 2nd, 2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: ETA

Tallon has watched us on the toilet for as long as I can remember LOL.. so he definitely knows where to go. Even today he was saying Poo! Poo! and I asked him if he needed to poo, but he'd already done it. Think we made the mistake of putting his training seat together.. he wants to use it! We're going away for a weekend on the 12th Jan, I don't want to be training him while we're away! LOL. It's a shame, coz he'd probably start now.