Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had a premmie ?

nicadela Guest

Default my prem bub

Hi there

I am new to this site. My name is Nichole, am 25, have been married for nearly 2 years. I had a c-section on 3.2.05 and my daughter Isabella was born, 9 wks premature. I developed pre-eclampsia and had extremely high blood pressure and was admitted to hospital. They only discovered this as I had a checkup at the hospital, so did not let me go home. The next day I found out my placenta was low lying so had to have her by c-section. I was in ICU ward for 3 days and maternity ward for 3 days then went home. Isabella was in hospital for 8 weeks which was very stressful for both of us, she had her ups and downs, each day was totally different. She had to have a blood transfusion whilst in the nursery, due to her red blood cell count being low. She also developed jaundice twice. But she overcame her problems and went home on 1.4.04. She is now a healthy bubbly baby and is growing heaps.
    Parenting is getting easier, although it has its moments. Isabella usually sleeps between 5 and 7 hours during the night and other than that she feeds every 3 hours usually. She is our first bub and her entrance into the world was very surprising.

I am hoping to meet other mums of premature bubs, as well as mums of bubs born around April (as 9th April was her due date and bubs born in April will be similar to her in development)

Nichole

Hi Nichole,

My second born - Emily - surprised us by arriving at 27.5 weeks following Premature Rupture of Membranes (first born was full-term). Emily was born in March this year while her due date was estimated at June 10. She is still in Special Care while she strengthens her suck-feeding ability, and other than that is going really well. It is anticipated she will come home any day now!

mum2four Guest

Hi Nichole, just wanted to reassure you that premmie bubs do turn out to be thriving healthy little kids, i gave birth to triplets 27 weeks in jan 99 birth weights 785gms, 1120gms and 1310 all had setbacks and the usual roller coaster ride in NICU we spent 4 months in total and I never in my wildest dreams believed that they would grow up to be just like the other kids and suprise they are, one of the boys has some learning difficulties, but not obvious, i know it can be a really tough time and that unless you have been there you can not understand. now my kids are 6 and the nightmare has been put behind us and the are deffinately not affected in any way from their early start, i will be praying for you and you little bub.

firstly
    congratulations Nichole and Berry on the birth's of your babies. One of the first things that I found that went out the window when my twins were born prem, was the fact that their birth is not a celebration nor happy event at first.
    So YEAH!!! =D> Congratus!

I bet you are both counting down till they come home. You may be surprised how quick it all happens when they are ready. My twins got out of Isolette one day, off gavage and demand feeds next day, and home they next. So in three days, from no hope to outta here.

The only good thing i found about special care, was that by the time my babies were ready to come home, I was so much a professional at it. It was almost like i got eased into, rather than just given a baby and see you later.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions etc. someone here has always been through something similar and may be able to help or reassure you.

I believe that prem babies become the most determined, strong willed children and then adults. They have had to fight for every breath and that strong mindness carries on as a great strength for the rest of their lives.
    keep strong and keep well. You babes will be home in your arms in no times
    take care
    odette
    mum to 2 1/2 twins born 31 weeks
    DS 10% chance of survival
    DD 20% chance
    fighting fit and no long term problems or repercussion
    Miracles can and do happen!!!!!!!

nicadela Guest

Default my prem bub

hi

thanks for the encouragement. I am also a member of essential baby and all the other mums that had bubs in april, which was when isabella was supposed to have been born, well their bubs are like way huger than isabella. I originally thought isabella would be about the same size as them, thinking she might have caught up to them but not yet. My whole experience was awful. Here I was thinking I would have an average size bub and go full term but nope. I hadn't even heard of pre-eclampsia, i mean how many pregnant women really know what it is??

Well I have to say that the whole time I was in the ICU ward I was depressed.....I was on morphine and magnesium so I was totally out of it most of the time, and plus I could not even see my baby, it was like I had not even been pregnant or like someone had stolen her from me. She was only around the corner from me, in NICU yet I could not see her, and they only brought her to me once - in the humidicrib. But she couldnt come out for long as she needed to be warm and under the lights. She had all these tubes hanging off her - feeding tube, antibiotics and the other leads to monitor her heart rate, oxygen and breaths.

It was okay once I got onto the maternity ward, as I could get about and go see her. I stayed in hospital 7 days and after that, I would go visit her and stay most of the day then I would go pick my husband up from work and we would go home so he could shower etc, then up to the hospital again at night, then come home and have dinner then to bed. We did this for 8 weeks - it was like a routine to us. It was so awful having to go home without our baby.

Each day was different too, not the same. Between her forgetting to breath, getting jaundice twice, having an infection, problems with trying to breastfeed, bad reflux and needing a blood transfusion - it was hell. Our emotions worked like a yo-yo, tossing between sadness one day and then happiness the next as she would progress, back to sadness if she slipped backwards.

I will never forget my experience, our experience. All I can say is a huge thank you to all of the staff in NICU and SCN. They are truly gods angels working hard.

We were truly happy when our little princess came home and now we treasure every moment and every day with her.

Nichole

Born 3/2/05, 9 wks premature

Hi again Nichole,

If you haven't already joined Austprem, I can really recommend it as I have found it is great for support and advice re parenting a prem (a NICU nurse told me about it)

I can truly relate to the emotions you describe as it is such an emotionally trying experience for the whole family. But also, my husband and I have found it an incredibly enriching experience and we too have found the NICU and special care staff absolutely amazing in what they have achieved.

Emily had two blood transfusions while in NICU and I found that distressing, and also - like you have said - quite traumatic to see all the interventions required early on and to see her at times just stop breathing. However, now she is approaching home time it is fantastic to see how well and gorgeous she is.

Take care and very best wishes to you and your family.
    PS - Isabella looks just gorgeous in your picture!

hey,
    i feel really lucky! I had my bubs at 37w, but he was 3610kg!! (7lb 15 1/2oz) He was grey when he came out, due to the cord being wrapped about his throat and it strangling him as i gave birth and i was so scraed as he wasnt breathing. He had a few troubles in the start (bad jaundice to the point is eyes were yellow and blue!) and his breathing wasnt that great, and he had to be monitored for 24 hours, but i got tot take him str8 back to my room after a checkup. my first was 2w overdue, so if felt weird to have one so early!!

Hi Berry!

I was just wondering how Emily is going??

Bet she is just beautiful!!

Best wishes

Hi Kelli,
    Emily is going great. She has been home since June 12 (came home on my birthday - 2 days after she was due to be born!). She is over 8lbs now and looks just like a newborn.
    Here is her page if you are interested:
    http://beautifulemilyjane.tripod.com/emilys_photos/
    Thanks for asking how Emily is! All the lovely thoughts have helped me cope with her extremely early arrival.

Berry,

Emily is such a lovely little thing.
    She brings tears to my eyes everytime i see her. I think it is wonderful how well she is doing.

When i was at the CYN clinic on Friday a man brought in his baby girl and she was born at 28 weeks. She is also doing very well.

shell77 Guest

hi
    my baby amelia was 7 weeks early due to PROM she didnt need any help with breathing she did have an iv coz i had an infection due to having no waters she was in the nursey for 20 days we would have had her home earlier but she had jundice really bad they did all the test you could think of but they would all ways come back with good results so they ask me to stop breastfeeding for 36 hours too see if it was breastmilk jundice sure enough it was why didnt they do that earlier anyway she is doing really well now it tolk 10weeks before her jundice went at birth she weighed 3lb14oz

berry-wow 27weeks how did you cope?she must be a very stong little girl
    she is beauitlful too

take care

shell

Premmie babies are such a miracle especially the really little ones.

I helped my mum raise her sisters premmie after her sister died from complications resulting from pre-eclampsia. Sadly, my aunt never got to hold her little girl who was born 12.5 weeks early (at around 28 weeks) weighing in at about 800g. I remember the wonderful staff at North Shore NICU were fantastic with all the stressed families there, watching their tiny babies struggle.

Thankfully my aunts little miracle is now 12 and an absolute joy. When I look at her I remember her mother who was such a beautiful person, she was a joy to be around.

I like to tease her that they had her wrapped up in foil (well, foil like materials) like she was a little chicken and she laughs and laughs and thinks I am a little mad.. but its true! I thank God that she was a fighter!

AMEN for miracles!!!

odette
    mum to Ariel and Immogen (born 31 weeks)
    5/12/2002

hi

i had Briella at 35 wks.

i was induced as she was in distress and not responding as she should have when i was on the ctg monitor.

my labour was 1 hour and 4 minutes long, she was 44 1/2cm long, 5 pd 5 ounces and 31 cm HC.

she did remarkably well at the start and didnt have to go into special care thankfully, but over the following 10 days, she continually lost weight until she dropped down to 4 pd 9 ounces. at this point, she was readmitted to the childrens hospital and fed by a naso gastric tube for 5 days. when she was discharged, we had to feed her 2 to 3 hrly around the clock, that was hard.

since then she has had "failure to thrive" and at 6 1/2 months old, weighs only 5 kgs. and recently she has experienced a number of illnesses that have really knocked her down. about a month ago, her ear drum ruptured, and then a week later she got bronchiolitis and gastro at the same time and was in hospital for 5 days in an oxygen head box, on a naso gastric tube and also on a drip.

but out of all this, as least she is a happy little baby

kirsty Guest

Berry have just looked at Emily's page & realised she was born at Monash, have to ask is that the one in Clayton??

I only ask coz that is where James was born & they were all just fantastic. Glad to hear that she is doing well now.

Hi Kirsty,

Sorry for not replying earlier - I have only just noticed your post!

Yes Emily was born at Monash Clayton and they were great there - fantastic care of baby and mum. Top doctors and nurses. Yummy food. I didn't want to leave!

kirsty Guest

I so have to agree with you. We found them fantastic as I was 5.5hrs away from home, family & friends.

I have just had a really good look at Emily's site & can so relate here & there to a few of the things that you guys went through. We were luckier in that James wasn't born until 32wks & weighed 3lb 13oz (1738g) at birth so had less of the complications that we were expecting with him coming early.

Hope that Emily is continuing to thrive in her home environment.

Thanks Kirsty,

Glad that James is going well and emerged with flying colours from the prem experience, that is wonderful!

Emily is going really well now - on track for her corrected age with growth and development (apart from weight which is a bit under but steadily moving up the chart as her appetite grows).

I have been wanting to update Emily's web-site but our computer is too slow this month...

Take care,
    Kerry

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast