Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums #6

Carrie, I was with the High Risk obs at Monash, they were pretty good. I only had three different obs through the entire pregnancy with Ned, which for a public hospital is pretty good. I had fortnightly visits from 16 weeks. Only real issue was the cost of parking!

Best wishes with #2.

HI all
    Bec- Great to hear frpm you! I know I haven't been around much lately, DH had a month off after xmas and we had my sister and her family down from Adelaide, so I let my BB time fall by the wayside . THat's great to hear that Josh is walking. I ditto what Tiff says...I think you need to send some walkie vibes this way!
    Wow, 28 weeks already! I really hope that the little one holds on for the next 12 weeks for you.

Tiff- Poor Ivy and Noah! I hope that they are on the mend very soon for you.

Nickers- Poor you and Nixon too. I hope the Dr can help tomorrow. I understand the feeling though (after Kyla's 3 bouts of gastro last year!) It's awful to watch them when they're sick and know you can't do much for them.
    What's this about Sydney???

Willow- The ice-cream cake sounds great!! I bet Willow will love it. Hope you all have a great day

Divvy- Thanks for that. I just don't know how it works in the public system. Last time around I was private with an ob - I payed heaps and then ended up having Kyla in the public RWH due to the circumstances. So I'm thinking that maybe next time around I'll just go to the woman's and go public.

ETA: Just a question - when Kyla stands up, due to her lack of muscle tone her ankle (especially the right) is majorly pronated...it doesn't seem to worry her but gosh it looks like it would kill to me! Has anyone experienced this with their bubba's -if so, has it corrected itself, or how did you deal with it???
    Last edited by Carrie; February 19th, 2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Addition

Default Gemma

Hi Ladies, I looked through the last few pages of the thread so I feel like I already know something about most of you
    Tiff already knows my story but I'll just tell the rest of you about my little Gem. She was born 29-7 at 33 weeks, 1800g, and is now nearly 7 months old. We don't know why she was premie....her placenta was on the small side of normal so best guess is that she just outgrew it. I had PPROM & my doctor advised a caesar because she was a posterior breech & u/s showed compromised doppler flow to the placenta. We planned it for 2 days later but I went into labour that night.
    She was born pink & healthy and never had any problems other than sleepy feeding. She was discharged after 2 weeks & we spent the next 2 1/2 months trying to get her to feed properly. I had no idea it was going to be such a hard slog. I really wish she had been kept in NICU just a bit longer, with more tube feeds for a week or 10 days, so that she could have put on more weight and fed better once she got home. Even expressed milk in a bottle had to be squeezed down her throat. I was sooo glad to return the breast pump in early November!
    She is now doing very well, rolling both ways and trying to be awake as much of the day as possible! I've never had a baby who slept so little.
    I posted a few weeks ago about iron supplementation. I contacted the NICU liaison nurse about that & she promised to pull her chart and get back to me. NOTHING...I am very disappointed. I had waited to make an appointment for her 6 month visit until I heard from the nurse, but I've made the appt anyway now and will ask the GP to take a haemoglobin level. I've been able to get her going on rice cereal the past two weeks so she is getting some iron from that.
    She is asleep now & probably won't be for much longer, so I'd better get a shower before the rest of the day slips away!

tiggy Guest

Hi CAstle!
    Welcome welcome to our little group!
    Sorry to hear that Sue hasn't gotten back to you. She sounds about as slack as the medical professionals out here in woop woop. (Read GP and Pead) OMG I have had my fill of doctors to last me a LIFETIME ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! I must have done something bad in a former life.

Can you give her a call again? Send her another email, just to push her along?
    I hope that Gemma's heamaglobing is good.
    She sounds as though she is doing very well.

At this point I almost don't care. G will see the GP on Monday anyway.
    I was wondering who the ENT is that the twinkies are going to see? Is it the paediatric one, first name Paul?

Did you ever see the movie Red Rock West? The 'bad guy' keeps trying to leave the town but ends up reentering it over & over, for various reasons. I started to feel like that about the JHH. I went out a few weeks ago to visit someone who had had a new baby, in NICU recovering from the ventouse. It all seemed way too familiar! even the smell of the meals.

tiggy Guest

Why Castle, I do believe you are spot on but we are not going to see him until the end of March. We made the appointment in December, so have been waiting a long time for our visit. How did you guess?

I had to travel all over the country side today just to confirm that Ivy has a middle ear infection, have it documented and get different antibugs. She's been on long term amoxil, now we are going try Augmentin Duo for five days. Blurgh, I am so over all of this illness. Our paed is proving very difficult to get any kind of help when I need it, I ask you, why become a paed if you don't want to deal with the clientelle?

OOOHHH, know what you mean about the NICU and the John. Everytime I go back there, it's like it was yesterday.
    Let us know how your gorgeous one goes at the GP, won't you.

Tiggy, about the ENT, LOL I lived across the street from him for 3 years!! He is the only paediatric ENT in Australia, which is why you've had to wait so long. He is supposed to be very good at his work. Can't you get the paed to hurry things up? What kind of middle ear infection can wait for 4 months to be seen?
    Is your paed using a pneumatic otoscope? They HAVE to do that to get a definitive diagnosis. I continue to get ear infections as an adult so this issue is close to my heart! Personally I think long term Amoxil is worthless. MY paed had ME on that for months in my early teens until I was referred to an ENT who promptly took out my adenoids & put in grommets. Made a huge difference to my life--esp the adenoids.
    Amoxil is fine if you are jumping on the infection in the first day or so. After that it probably needs something stronger. My guess is that the Augmentin won't do it either. But, definitely worth a try. PLG. (poor little guy/girl).
    Must go, dh wants on the computer.

tiggy Guest

OMG Castle, you are surrounded by doctors!! LOL, I don't know how you survive them!
    Look, I know he's good, he told me so himself!! We saw him to have Noah's frenulum ligated and he told us point blank he is the best in the business LOL! God complex, much?!?!

Seriously though, I know he's good, I asked for him but for goodness sake, why can't he just squeeze us in?
    I think you are right, the Amoxil does nothing and everytime the Ivy girl gets a cold, she gets a middle ear infection, fever, miseries and what's worse it HAS to be interferring with her hearing and thus her speech. Also right; on the Augmentin Duo, she has been on that SO many times it's not funny, I'm sure whatever bug is growing in there is resistant.The only antibug that knocked the infection on the head was Erythromycin, however, the GP (who I finally tracked down in Newcastle)said Aug Duo. *SIGH*
    Her current temp is 38.5 degrees. Low grade for her.

As for the paed, that was my expectation, yes, that he would see her distress ( and mine) and pull some strings so that the kid can get grommets now. She has had recurrent otitis media since June last year, averaging one every 3 weeks, 3 perforations, numerous antibiotics.
    Enough is enough! All my kids have needed grommets, adnoidectomy and tonsillectomy (bar one with the tonsils), it IS a familial trait, what is the big deal???

But NO, I can't even get in to see the paed, I can't talk to him,get hold of him when I need some advice, blah, blah, blah, am just over it. I have a better relationship with his receptionist! I miss our old paed. She was brilliant. Having her on my side is a good argument for moving back to Sydney. However, Michael is SO much better than our discharge paed- at least he listens when I DO get to see him!
    Last edited by tiggy; February 21st, 2007 at 08:59 PM.

They are reluctant to treat otitis media aggressively, as it should be treated, b/c of the publicity surrounding that study which showed that many cases did OK untreated. HOWEVER, my argument is, were those cases actually diagnosed properly in the first place?? Was all wax removed so that the eardrum could be visualised? Was a pneumatic otoscope used? Or did someone just look in & say, yep, looks red & bulgy. Which is NOT a definitive diagnosis.
    A very, very good paed whom I knew about 10 years ago told me that the child has to be seen immediately, started on amoxil. Then you recheck in 3 days. If not cleared up, then you have a choice of 2 antibiotics, and recheck in 3-5 days. If still not cleared, then you have to go to a heavy hitter, one of those one-a-day (non-PBS probably) antibiotics. He told me in no uncertain terms that there was NO ear infection which could not be properly killed!
    As an adult, and your kids will probably have to do the same, I'm very careful if I ever get a cold. It's worth it to use an OTC product when a cold starts to try to dry up some of the discharge, or at the least to keep it running freely. Personally I think some of us have very very short Eustachian tubes. Then, as soon as I get the first niggle of an ear infection, I call or race in to be seen. In that way you can avoid perforations. The ENT told me that most perfs are from a strep infection in the ear. They come on very, very quickly so it's even more important to act right away for those. My last perf was when I was 26. We were out to dinner with friends & I felt it start. I swallowed the first erythromycin 3 hours later but it was already too late. Also, I've found that if I don't feel nearly 100% better 24 hours after the first dose, it will clear after a week, but will recur within 6 weeks. Early action is the key.
    About the god complex...he is SO like that. I purposely said nothing about his personal attributes, but GAG. We used to joke about it, "Saw him putting the bins out & he looked at me," or "guess what, he said hello to me today."
    OK, off my hobby horse now. Need to investigate why son 2 hasn't come down for breakfast...

tiggy Guest

LOL, Castle, I think you ARE a doctor and you are just saying not! OMG you are a wealth of information!

With the middle ear infections in my kids; We went round and round the mulberry bush with the first set of twins, long term ABs, hospitalisation, the works. Finally the first one had grommets in at 18 months because of glue ear and barely any speech. How niave was I? I just thought she was a quiet kid! The second one wasn't until she was four, they finally conceded, after a particularly nasty rupture, leaving permanent scarring on her right drum.

They told me it was low socioecomomic status that caused otitis media! I was beside myself! Not only did we NOT fit into that status, I couldn't believe that they suggested poor living conditions were at fault.

When Lily started down the same path I took her straight to the ENT and she had grommets in by the time she was 8 months and didn't look back.She went on to have her tonsils and adenoids removed later, as did the others. However because of all the antibiotics she had in her first year of life, her molars started errupting, already rotten.

By the time Lily had her tonsils taken out they were saying it had nothing to do with how poor you were and more to do with short eustatian tubes, flat bridge over the nose and that there was a familial trait, so if One had it, it was more than likely that the others would get it too. Which has totally been the case in our situation.
    So far Noah has been spared but poor old Ivy is rotten with it. I shudder to think what the consequenses of the antibiotics are doing to her.

I hear you on the early action Castle, I really do but sometimes it takes days to get into a doctor out here and to even talk to the paed takes a better part of a week. I have every known antibiotic script here in my medicine cupboard but if I treat and then tell the doctors what I've done, I get in strife! I am hoping that our friend God will put Ivy in ASAP, thanking my lucky stars for staff private health insurance that was thrust upon me some years ago. It has come in handy lately.

I forgot you are not in town & it isn't as easy. We can always be seen the same day, if not at the GP then at the After Hours Clinic, which is great. Yes, it seems like you're punished for a bit of knowledge, doesn't it? If you give the ab you get strife for it, but if you don't, you risk your child's health.
    BTW another thing I found helpful for me personally was to insist on getting 10 days' worth of ab. 5 or 7 days does not 'kill it dead'. Then I usually save the last day as insurance against the next bout. Of course, you can't save up if it's for a child who is still on the liquid.
    I have never heard of low SES as a reason for otitis media! What a horrible thing to say! Glad that idea's been abandoned. I hope Ivy can get in asap. Am trying to think up ways to hurry up the appt but you've probably tried everything. We don't have nearly enough paeds in Newcastle, that's part of the problem I think. They get caught up in the 'interesting stuff' rather than the bread&butter business of OM. IMHO.

tiggy Guest

Thank you Castle, for listening to me rabbit on about all this. It is good to talk to someone about it all. It's very disheartening, to say the very least when you see your baby sick and nobody wants to help.
    Luckily, I have found a good GP, although, I had to follow him to Jewells (he did a 'country' rotation out here in the boonies but finished up here in January). He said I could continue the AB's for 7 - 10 if I wanted but suggested that 5 days would be enough. I think I'll play that one by ear (pardon the pun)!

Yes, must agree on the knowledge = increased doctor arrogance. That is why I generally stay tight lipped about being a nurse/midwife. It's almost like it is some disease having a medical background.

Ivy seems a little better this afternoon - her temp is 37.6, so definately down, finally and a little brighter and less clingy.

Hi there and welcome Castle - you and Tiff have been chatting up a storm!!!
    I hear you on the feeding issues - my little one was the same. She was also on an iron supplement for I think 6 months.

Tiff- Glad to hear that Ivy is a little better.

tiggy Guest

Hi Carrie, how is Kyla, have you found out any more about that turn in her foot when she stands?
    Our problem is tippy toes. Apparently, their tendon at the back isn't streched enough ( a common prem thing, I'm told). We are doing excercises to correct it.

Hope you are both well

Hi All, welcome castle!
    Well just an update on Nixon. He was 10months old on Saturday and all going well until he woke about 2am in vomit. since then he has continued to be sick all week, first was vomitting and going off all food, then started the diahorea. I have been struggling to give him even half the amount of fluids he usually has and he became a little dehydrated. After a week of not eating nor getting any better i took him to hosp on Friday. just monitored him but basically said there isnt much they can do. he lost about 700g in the last week.
    anyway today he started eating small amounts again but no he has terrible nappy rash. i have been out all day and dh said he did lots of poos but was fine. but i got home about 5pm and since then ive changed about 5 nappies. it is to the point when he wees or poos he absolutley screams in pain.i bathed him with some pinetarsal in the water and stopping using wipes to wipe him. I am caking the cream on like concrete, tried to give him some nappy free time, until he pooed everywhere. it brings tears to my eyes seeing how red he is and how much it is hurting him. i just wish he could stop pooing so it can get better.

I hope all the kiddies are well and dont get what Nixon had has, i thought it was a 24hr bug but its gone on for 7days so far.

Oh Nic, I'm so sorry to hear that! Poor little guy. DS no. 3 had very sensitive skin & reacted to the slightest thing. You're right to keep on with the cream. I found that Sudocrem or the Herron zinc & castor oil cream was the best for us. Definitely try wiping him only with a damp face cloth or cotton wool pads & water. He must be losing a lot of fluid too. You said he was eating a bit again. Is he drinking well too?

Kids usually improve quickly but sometimes you wonder how long to wait for it!

Oh No! Poor little Nixon. Nic, have you tried PawPaw Ointment?? Willow is a redhead with really sensitive skin and it works really well for her. I have used it on all 3 of the kids and I haven't found anything that beats it.
    Willow is great, only 6 more days until her birthday. I still can't believe how fast this year has gone. Nothing else has been happening around here, just making the final plans for Willows party, Taking Kayla and Liam to school cleaning the house and looking after Willow. I think I need a Holiday.
    I hope everyone is well or gets well soon.

Raven

tiggy Guest

Oh Nic,
    Poor Nixon! I hope he gets better soon.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast