Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasn't expecting to be here

Default Wasn't expecting to be here

After having a full term baby I wasn't expecting this. DS has been admitted to the nursery at day 4 with a couple of issues.

He is very jaundiced so he will be under the lights for two days.

He also has a low grade fever, with his temp sitting at 37.3, and his crp levels have increased from .8 to .13, it looks like it may be an issue with his blood type I am 0+ and dh is a -. He is been treated with antibiotics for two days but it could be up to five, we have to wait for more results to come back.

We have a wonderful pediatrician who knows we want to take him home, he cared for both the girls when they were in the nursery.

I am finding it harder this time, we have been here before so I know what to expect. He was doing so well with the breastfeeding but he will most likely need to have some formula as I will have to go home and it will take me a while to build up a supply of ebm.

Just needed somewhere to get it all out as I need to stay strong for him. Not looking forward to telling the family as it becomes such a drama.

i understand the feeling well. both my (full term+ ) boys went though SCN. and its never, ever easy.

sounds like they got the infection early though, if they're saying 5 days of Anti's. plus the CRP's dont sound too high eather, it may be due to the Jaundice as the liver (i think it is) cant handle all the extra red blood cells. is your DS a + or a - blood type? negatives tent to be more likely to end up with jaundice. if you need an ear to bash feel free to PM me

I hope bubs is home with you soon

darl, i hope he's home with you soon

thinking of you.

oh *hugs*. I hope it all settles soon for you.

Whilst you're still at the hospital get a hold of their electric pump and get pumping and stock their fridge. They don't actually need much for feeds. Once my milk came in it started pouring out. I was pumping 200mls at a time within a day or so, and I'm pretty sure they were only needing about 60ml per feed (I think.. feels so long ago now). All I can say is if you want to avoid the formula, sit at that pump like an old dairy cow (LOL sorry.. just that's how I felt!). Give them every ounce of colostrum you can squeeze out too.

I hope it all clears up nice & quickly for you so he can go home with you.

i really do hope your little man is home with you soon. im sooo happy to hear of his birth xox

Big warms squishy

Definitely grab that breast pump (with a double kit) and start expressing, try not to think about how much you are getting, just know that every drop you get will make a difference, I struggled to meet DD's feeds my supply was so crappy, and I placed so much pressure on myself I think I made it worse

Can you speak with your Dr about staying on as a border? That is what I did with DD, we she transferred out to the private hospital I went in as a border as she had a right to a room, which included meals shower bed etc, and it meant that I could be there for all the feeds. Definitely ask the question, or will your Dr sign off that you need to stay longer, they can come up with some impressive reasons as to why they don't want to send you home, my OB was happy to do this if we didn't get the transfer

Hopefully the couple of days under lights do what they need to, as hard as it is have minimal cuddles at this time because in the end it will shorten the time her needs to be under lights, it was a horrible and distressing time for me as DD was very upset being under lights (mostly as we found out about 4 hours in the nurse had "forgotten" to have the isolette heated so she was cold but she still wasn't happy until she was back in a nappy. I know how hard it is hun and I hope that you will be home with bucket loads of newborn snuggles very soon. Take care and thinking of you both xxxooo

Oh sweet, so sorry to hear this Maybe just tell only who you have to in your family and tell the others once you're home.

I am feeling better now but I am home, even the head of the scn and my ped couldn't convince them to let me stay. I have a good pump from when dd1 was in the scn so will get pumping. They are putting in an iv line so he won't be getting so upset after each dose of ab now which is a blessing.

Big hugs.
    I hope your little guy can come home realllll soon.

xox

BR I am so sorry to hear you news, I am sure he is a little fighter and will be home before you know it!!!! Goodluck and keep your chin up!!!!!!!!!!

Oh sweets, I didn't want to read that your beautiful, fully baked, full term bubba boy is in SC!
    Not the journey you were hoping for, I know, but hopefully a short stay before home with his family.
    :hugs: :hugs:

DD was also very jaundiced and was under the light for a few days. It was hard to see when all you want to do is cuddle them.

Sending super fast healing vibes to your DS.

So sorry to hear this. Sending you huge hugs and I hope your little man is home very very soon xx

Oh BR, so sorry to hear this.

Really hoping poor DS is out and home with you soon.

BR, hope he's home soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast