Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: opk =hpt????

Default opk =hpt????

Hi Guys
    i know this has been asked before but i have a couple of questions.

1/ With an opk and the second line, does it only show around o time? or is it always there and just gets darker when oing?

2/ can a opk be used as a hpt? i know this has been asked before but i am just way too tired to locate them here. (the joys of getting up at 5.45am to take nanna around adelaide for app's and only getting home just over an hour ago!)

Thankyou in advance

Naomi, the OPK should only show a second line around O time,,,,,although women with PCOS can show lines all the time (it's their screwy hormones). On the other hand, some girls dont get a second line, even when they are O, or they only get a faint one.
    As for using the OPK as a pregnancy test, there are heaps of examples on FF, where people have scanned it for you to soo. It has been done before, but you would get far better results using a HPT I would expect.
    I know I probably haven't been THAT much of a help, but it seems that every woman gets varied results and sucess using the opk's. Good luck hun, I hope you get great results from yours :d

ok i'll explain why, im still having all my pg signs, heavy bleeding only lasted a day and its just back to red/brown real small amounts! there have been no clots, i dont have any hpts left so i used an opk and there was a second line, ive now had that twice!
    I know the chances of me being pg is very very small if at all, but i thought i would just querie it anyway.
    Thanks Lil you have been a help

but just thinking could i possibley be pg????????

OPK's can always show a faint line as there is always LH in the system. Some women will get a line that gets gradually darker leading up to O and some will get nothing at all (or a faint line) until suddenly it is positive.

OPK's can be used as a HPT but the line should only be considered + if it is really quite dark. A lighter one could be + but as there could be a line anyway it is not reliable.

Naomi,

I used a OPK a week after the Dr said congirmed my pregnancy and that came up with a second line in fact it came up before the first line.

I've had faint lines on the run up to O and teh a couple of days after the dark line.

Have you done a OPK today ?
    Eta i just re read your post. I would go and get a BT done to be sure what is going on and maybe also get a HPT. After what happend with your last lot of BT's could you not see a different Dr.

Also i think congratulations.

I'd say to do a bt or an HPT: when I did a bt my LH was really suppressed, so I'd have had a -ve OPK (but that was a few weeks into my pregnancy, about seven and a half).

Best of luck for your results!

You alwasy have LH in your system around ovualtion you get a LH surge, If the line is lighter than the test line it means your not ovulating , when you are ovulating you get a very dark line as dark as the test line, to judge whether you are pregnant or not using an OPK is very tricky as you always have the Lutenizing Hormone in your system. But if it is very dark and you know you have ovulated that could be a good indication of conception, bottom line always back it up with a hpt and HCG blood test

What the others have said I agree with.
    Yes, all humans have LH in their bodies always that is why for a positive opk the line has to be at least as dark as the control.
    Howver as others have said many women don't get a true positive and still ovulate (me!).
    The reason LH strips turn positive is that they detect hcg as well. It will not matter if you have suppressed lh as Ryn did if you are pregnant an opk will show a second line. However this can't be used as a diagnosis as only a hpt or blood test can. The reason is is because you could be ovulating or have pcos or some other unusual metabolic disorders which cause increased lh.

Having said all of this I always get a second line on my opk before I get a second line on my hpt. I hope you are pregnant. Was the line quite prominent? Have you used lh strips during a cycle before and do you usually get a second line? If the answer is no I really think you should get a Quantatative Serum BHCG done. This will tell you for sure.

Good luck!

Hi Naomi,

How dark was the line on the opk? How long ago was the bleeding?

wow - talk about responses LOL Thanks guys

I had used these opks (from lullaby!) around o time, i got a second line which was getting darker and darker, then at the 'party' weekend i forgot to test, and come tuesday when i tested again i got no 2nd line, and wed i got no 2nd line not even a faint one!

The 2nd line ive got now is not as dark as the control line but its visable at arms length etc......as you girls wrote, does this mean an instant no?
    The reason i had posted this was because i havnt had a 2nd line on an opk unless it was around o time iykwim.

Bleeding??? OMG i cant remember now, if i count it from when i got brown cm its been a wk and a half, if i count it from red and brown 10days, if i count it the day af was a tad heaver (without clotting, she was only like that 1day and is back to being real real light!) 7days!
    I hope that makes sense.

I am now just totally confused..........

Have you done another OPK or even a HPT ?

I think the best thing to do is buy a HPT and see what happens.
    I had my normal AF in November and that lasted around 7days and then early December i found out i was pg.

Yes i did another 2 opk's today! addict!! using the test within an hour of the first one.
    the first one showed up a second line, but the second one showed up even darker although not as dark as the control line, we have no money for a hpt, although Rick did get some money off his boss today, so prehaps i could buy one tonight and use it tomorrow with FMU before i go to my trial? Or if i got 2 could i use one then, meaning tonight?

Could you get in to see your doctor today and get a BT done ?
    I think that is the only way you will know other than the HPT's.

I dont want to do that though until im atleast 70%sure its a possibility, especially after last time, iykwim?
    I think i would prefer the hpt and then depending on that result then the bt

I can understand why you don't want to go to the doctors. Will you be able to see a different one when you do get to go ?

Keeping everything crossed that you get a nice BFP.

Yeah im sure i could go to the local Dr's provided there is a female that works there and that they bulk bill!!!!

What does everyone think my chances actually are that im pg? I dont really have my hopes up, but I want to know what you all think, its just a matter of time before i do iykwim?

Do you think its wise to test tonight? It would be 3wks after I O'd, if i o'd then iykwim, surley though if i was pg then the opk would have shown a dark line like the control line???

Have a look at the FF gallery, it shows quite a few opk"S used to test for PG, and there are heaps where the line is not as dark as the control. Are you temping at all?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast