Thread: Sample sleep schedule?

brendalisa Guest

Default Sample sleep schedule?

Hello. My friend has a 3-month old and is up until midnight with her. I told her she needs to get her on a sleep schedule. She wants a sample schedule to follow. I've gone to many websites with helpful hints but none give sample times. Does anyone have one out there? I don't have kids so I don't know. Thanks!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thats lovely that you are helping her - what a great friend

There is a great book you can ger her or she can get, Sleeping Like a Baby by Pinky McKay. How is the bub sleeping during the day? Sometimes at first they get day / night mixed up.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

brendalisa Guest

Does that book have sample schedules?

Normally it is best to work out a schedule that suits the baby and the mother. If you really need to find some schedules then have a look at Tracey Hogg (the orignal Baby Whisperer), there are lost of discussion on the forum attached to her site about her EASY plans (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You time), these are done respecting the babies needs (well more so than other schedules out there), rather than doing too much clock watching.

I do agree with Kelly, get her a copy of Sleep like a Baby, it discusses how babies sleep, along with coping strategies.

Does she have a bedtime routine? I found with Ashleigh at the beginning she would be up til 10ish give or take and at 6 weeks I introduced a bedtime routine and put her down at 8. Took a couple weeks but eventually she started settling at this time.

brendalisa she is lucky to have a friend that is concerned for her, I second pinky mckay's books, and really recommend breastfeeding, rocking and holding bubbas to sleep, co-sleeping and boobing back to sleep and perhaps putting bubba in a sling for sleep. so an example of my schedule at that age would be, cluster breastfeeds, baby is usually unsettle in the early evening, then oscar would fall asleep in my arms, hold him (or DH held him) until we go to bed, breastfeed again whenever he woke up. then go to bed, we co-sleep, breastfeed whenever he wakes up, i never look at clocks/time as to when he woke or feed, sleep as much as possible and if feeling tired in the morning i would get my older off to school and then go back to bed with oscar and sleep a couple more hours. thats was pretty much our sleep schedule. i pretty much held oscar or he was in a sling or co-sleeping at that age probably 23 hours out of 24.
    good luck
    beckles

I do have some questions for you brendalisa. Is your friend asking for a schedule because she really wants one, or only due to you mentioning that she needs one? Why are you concerned about what she is doing with her child? Is she upset, tired (par for the course)? If she is ok about the situation, then why are you concerned? Sometimes the best support a friend can give is acceptance.

Astrid! Settle petal! (*laughing*):wink:

Brendalisa - when you say she's up till midnight, is the baby awake all the time before midnight? Otherwise, Mum should get some sleep when baby does, ie. go to bed when baby does. At 3 months it's not unusual for a baby to be awake around midnight for a bit of a feed and cuddle as they tend to feed very regularly.

Mum might need to think about what she's eating if she's breastfeeding and baby is very unsettled (eg. cutting down on caffine, careful of cabbage which can cause wind which would unsettle a baby etc)
    I would suggest getting the book etc. if she needs something in writing (our brains tend to be a bit mushy after birth)

For my girls who have slept very soundly pretty much 90% of the time from birth, I made sure they had a very clear difference between day and night, ie. lots of noise and activity during the day even around them when they were sleeping (they slept/still sleep) in the family room during the day, and dark, quiet nights.
    I must admit I've never heard of a sleep schedule, but just try to make sure my girls are tired at the right times! You can keep a sleepy baby awake if you have to, but you can't make an awake baby go to sleep!

And tell her to get onto bellybelly if she can for lots of support!!

i know what astrid is trying to say. i know from experience that it is VERY hard to make your baby follow a routine. i think the best advice to her would be to go with the flow and sure read some of those books, listen to some advice but ultimately you have to do what suits your baby..... and it will get better! *i know that is a frustrating phrase but its true* my DD is 5 months and still doesn't fit into any routine, she is all over the place.

oscar's routine is to not have one! lol
    beckles

I follow, and always have, the routine of my babies, especially at the 0-12 month stage.

Feed, play, sleep without clock watching is a good compromise: it allows mum and baby to get into a groove together without being fanatical about routines or schedules.

In terms of the evenings, if your friend is frustrated by the long evening with an unsettled baby, then my advice would be to "cluster feed" all afternoon and evening if she can........I do this with my 3 month old and it works for us....I cram as many boob feeds in as I can: she usually has a huge feed at lunchtime, then a sleep, then is awake from around 3pm and I feed her when I can all afternoon, then she has a bath after my other 2 children have gone to bed (around 7.30ish) and then a final long relaxing quiet snuggly boob feed in the dark and that is when she falls into a heap of a long sleep.......

Not sure if that helps any?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Moving to General Baby & Toddler Discussion
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I say you have to go with whats best for you and bubs. Not every bubs is the same.. some are great sleepers, others are terrible. My sister's second would not sleep through the night until he was 2 years old..

But.. in Jesse's case.. his is:
    6amish - wake, nappy and feed.. he then sometimes has another sleep for about an hour..
    9.30am - nappy and feed..
    10.30am - sleep until around 1pm.. wakes in between but i give him his dummy and play his music and he goes back to sleep.
    1pm - nappy and feed. He will sometimes nap for a little bit, sometimes wont.
    5pm - bottle and bath..
    6pm - watch some telly/play, may doze off and on.
    7.30pm - nappy, into Grobag, bottle and then bed (around 8pm)
    Once hes down then he doesnt wake until 6am again.

I think its best to establish some sort or a routine if you can, for both of you. Jesse knows as soon as he's in his Grobag of a night that he gets a bottle and goes to bed, which is great.. i have no problems (as yet!) putting him down at night. But this routine we just developed as we went along and he caught onto what happens when.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; January 7th, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

Debbie Lee Guest

I'm with the others..
    I think having a sample schedule is just a recipe for disaster because your friend may feel inadequate if her baby doesn't eventually follow the "routine".

Unfortunately (or fortunately!) babies are little people... they're all unique and have their own little personalities. They all develop their own personal little routine and it's SO much easier to follow that than try to make it suit the "adult" world. It's only for such a short period of time.
    I can understand why some Mums want to find a quick-fix or a "formula" that works but they just don't exist.
    When I finally let go and just decided to listen to my baby instead of trying to follow the advice of sleep school or well-meaning friends, it all got SO much easier. It was like I gave myself permission to just go with the flow and not expect too much out of my little bundle.

Can I recommend another great book which has sleeping logs for her to record nap times etc, and gauge patterns...'The No Cry Sleep Solution'.
    Really helpful, especially with help in getting your baby down for their nightime sleep earlier, which is probably the area she needs to assistance with.
    'Most' babies crave an early bedtime, which research has shown actually helps a baby sleep longer.

On an average day at 3 months Paige will sleep from 7-8pm, until 7-8am with one or two wakings in the night.

I believe the key is in setting nighttime rituals/routines, that cue a baby into learning that sleep time is approaching. We begin ours at 6pm every night.

During the day Paige will nap from 40min to an hour roughly around:
    9am
    11am
    3pm
    5pm

BUT I really do just look for her tired signs and not the clock.

I do recommend the book highly for lots of advice on setting up nighttime routines etc...again, there are logs provided to record all this stuff.

brendalisa Guest

Kellxx - Thanks for the sample schedule. That's kind of what I was looking for. Does anyone else have sample schedules like that?

The problem about getting a book for my friend is that she doesn't speak very much english. She just wants a sample schedule but she doesn't have to follow it exactly.

Thanks!

I hate to sound preachy, but I have to repeat what the others are saying: the best schedule is one that is set by mother and baby together according to their needs.

It's wonderful that you're trying to help your friend but just giving her a schedule to follow is likely to just cause distress instead of helping. For example, if I tried to follow Kellxx's scedule it would be a disaster as my baby needs 4 short sleeps instead of two long ones.

Maybe you could read the books with your friend and help explain them?

I had alexa having 3 naps during the day ahour 1 -1 1/2 hours & then sleeping 10-11 hrs at night bedtime was about 7.30.. but as of late that has gone right out the window & now she wont sleep till at the earliest 10pm & will wake once or twice at night... so ther is really no way to MAKE them sleep...

& remember babies actually need LESS sleep than adults !!!!!!

just tell your friend to sleep whenever she can & baby will soon set their own routine....