Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entertaining/Party Food (inc Dips)

caroline Guest

Default Entertaining/Party Food (inc Dips)

Can anyone give me some ideas on inexpensive and easy party food for a 2 year old party. I have chips and lollies but would really like something a little different.

~ Meringues
    ~ Fairy bread cut outs (using a big cutter, such as a star butterfly etc)
    ~ Wizards Wands (get bread sticks dip ends in premade white icing then cover in sprinkles)
    ~ MINI cupcakes, don't bother wasting yours and their time with big ones LOL you can get mini cases that fit in the mini muffin tins from Sparties and other places like that.
    ~ Wizards/Witches hats (get some mash potato mix with egg & either bacon or cheese, pipe into hat shapes and bake in the oven...let me know if you want exact recipe)
    ~ Pigs in blankets frankfurts wrapped in a square of puff pastry and cooked in the oven
    ~ Fairy Wands (Using a star shaped cutter cut out a star made with biscuit dough attatch paddle pop and cook in oven... decorate with pink icing & sprinkles or decorate with pink sugar before baking)
    ~ Tea cups (someone mentioned this on here) where you use a biscuit and a Marshmallow as the cup will fin the recipe.
    ~ Fondue & Fruit (I know it sounds extreme but kids love chocolate and mums love it if you can get them to eat fruit, get a melon baller and make fruit balls and skewer with toothpick (use square ended so they don't hurt themselves) then let them dip in chocolate ganache.

Just realised for a boy so you might not want some of those ideas Will find more!

If I think of more will post...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Tigergirl1980 Guest

You could make mini hot dogs using the ****tail frankfurts and those bake at home little dinner rolls, they'd be quite cute.

Crazy pinwheels, I have made these before and they are yummy they are from 250 Quick & Easy Recipes, by Womans Day:

2 cups self-raising flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tbsp butter or margarine
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup chutney or tomato based pasta sauce
    25g packet corn chios crushed
    3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 tbsp chopped parsley
    1 egg yolk

Sift flour and salt into mixing bowl. Rub butter or margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in milk and mix to form a soft dough. Knead lightly on a floured board then pat out to form 2cm thick rectangle. Spread with chutney or pasta sauce and sprinkle evenly with corn chips, cheese and parsley. Roll up Swiss-roll style. With a sharp knife, cut roll into 2cm-thick slices. Place on a lightly greased baking tray, leaving space between each slice. Glaze with beaten egg yolk and bake in a hot oven (200 degrees) for 10-12 minutes.

Makes 12

Of course you would double or triple the recipe according to how many you want to make.[/list]

hmmmm thats a hard one

DH & I make homemade pizzas for the neighbours kids when they are over and just take pita bread bases, put pasta sauce on top with cheese & use whole leaf basil, maybe shape the basil on top like a goanna or snake or something? then you just chuck it in the oven for 5-10 minutes and slice into strips...dunno if that will work for 2 year olds...

how about mini meatballs? Mini pizzas are a good idea too.

Also, fruit and marshmallow kebabs. Strawberries, watermelon and marshmallows on kebab sticks.

I remember one thing that my mum did all the time for our parties. Put icing on a plain biscuit, like arrowroot or something similar, then put smarties on as eyes, jelly snakes or beans as a mouth. Can do different colour icing for hair. I remember them being very yummy!

Default Party ideas.......

My DH is turning 30 in May and we are inviting 30 odd people over for a BBQ. I also want to have some finger food going round before hand.

My Questions are:

Does anyone have any finger food ideas that they enjoy? PLEASE SHARE!!

Also, I am making salads but would like something different from the usual salads I make. Any recipes you can share would be appreciated.

Last question is that I want to do some games to entertain everyone. We are setting up darts and can anyone suggest anything else? Keep in mind that our backyard is not that big.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!1

tiny little sushi usually makes good finger food. Yum!

If you want really easy finger food, there are some little spinach & fetta triangles sold in the frozen dept of Coles (near the party pies/sausage rolls). They cook from frozen in just 20 mins and are delish, adn only about $3.50 for a pack of 16......

I have served these before, and all I did to jazz them up was brush them with beaten egg and black-pepper before cooking, and served them warm with a dip made of mild salsa mixed with sweet chilli sauce.........

HTH........

mini meatballs with dipping sauce, and you can pretty much make up a meatball recipe in your head. just brown em in frypan and heat them in oven when you need them.

marinated chicken bites are great. get some chicken thighs, cut into large chunks and marinate overnight in equal qty's of olive oil, lemon juice, some garlic and fresh chopped parsley & basil. cook em on bbq and put em on mini squewers.

slice bagels through the ring to make little round pieces and spread em with cream cheese with a piece of smoked salmon and a chopped chive on top

i posted a recipe in here a while ago for a risoni salad, is a real winner, always goes down well and is my favourite, should come up in a search

I have an all time favourite I love to have at BBQ's and parties...

7 layer Mexican dip =P~

I'll post the recipe on the main page and then link it in a bit

Default Seven Layer Mexican Dip

This is my secret recipe (I can't believe I'm sharing it!!!) and its so easy, but everyone thinks its really hard...LMAO!

1 can refried beans
    1 jar medium salsa
    1 small container lite sour cream
    1 avocado
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1/2 head lettuce chopped
    2 tomatos chopped
    100gm grated lite cheese
    1 tsp lime juice
    pepper

ok first make the guacamole, which is the avocado, lime juice, pepper and get this 1 tblsp of salsa (shhhh), next open beans spread them out in a lasagne dish or a tray with sides iykwim? and make them around 1cm deep. Next mix sour cream & half the taco seasoning together & spread over beans, next spread guacomole over that, then spread thinly a layer of salsa. spread the lettuce next, cheese and then tomatos on top. Put a bowl of plain corn chips, or doritos dippa's plain (very important that they are plain! only IMO)

Done!! If you want something a bit more, try black olives chopped & placed on top too... but thats it.

good one Christy, my family does that one too, but have to disagree on the plain chips matey, cheese supreme dorito's all the way!!!!

We make one very similar as well & have to agree with the plain chips - sorry Min!

no way, you gals zre crazy!!!

this is soo devine!

How did the party go? What did you end up cooking?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Default 3 yr old party food (adults too)

Hi all,
    DD is turning 3 in July and we are giving her, her first real party. It will be a brunch from 10.30 to 12.30 and there will be adults and kids so I am trying to do lots of finger foods.
    so far have made mini quiches and party pies and put them in the freezer. I guess I will do sausage rolls as well. l have to have fairy bread and chocolate crackles.
    any ideas on other things I can do that adults and kids both like that I don't have to put in the oven, 'cos I think I have too much to heat up?

also DP hates the lolly bag coming home as he hates DD having lollies so I am trying to think of something I can give children to take home which will be a bit exciting. I thought of gingerbread men. any other ideas???

gingerbread men, party sized playdough, jewellery (plastic cheap) for girls, cars for boys. Go to your local $2 shop and see what you can find, stickers are also good.

Foodwise, fruit plates with chocolate dipping sauce. Sandwhich fingers with gourmet fillings. Make your own dips. A slice or two, tomato basil & bocconcini stacks drizzled with balsamic & olive oil and salt & pepper, sushi of all kinds....ummmm will think more and let you know!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast