Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Entertaining/Party Food (inc Dips)

Shannon I was wondering this myself, and all her cheese recipes have you rub cut garlic around the pot :-k maybe the oil & taste but not too much

Custardtart Guest

Rubbing the garlic would be to get a bit of the flavour without it being overpowering. The fondue set wouldn't cook the garlic enough to mellow the flavour, it would still have that 'sharp' raw taste. Rubbing it around the edge of the pot gives a hint of the taste without the sharpness.

Kerrie

We have a glorious '70's fondue pot.......this thread is inspiring me to get it out again!

We have done a fondue dinner party before:

Entree: Cheese fondue with chunks of bread for dipping, as well as bits of cold meats and veggies for dipping
    Main: Hot oil fondue, again with bits of crusty bread for fryung, as well as chunks of steak and chicken (I maninaded both in simple seasonings) along with loads of mustards and sauces for dipping
    Desert: Chocolate Fondue. We melted a large block of Toblerone chocolate and added a splash of cream and then combined, so you get the honey and the nuts as well from the Toblerone, and then dipped chunks of banana, pears and strawberry.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Divine!

I just got one for Christmas FINALLY - we have given them as gifts to soooo many people but didn't have our own.

We have dinners every 2nd month with 2 other couples & it's our turn next month so I thought I'd test it out My question for you Lucy is - do you have 3 pots or do you clean the one out between courses? If you clean it, how do you get the meaty/oily taste out of it before you put the chocolate in?

Sarah, ours is a really old fashioned brass thing that has 2 pots and the frame turns upside down to fit the 2 sizes. (So I use one for the cheese, then the oil, and the second smaller pot for chocolate)

BUT, for one dinner we did, I couldn't use the smaller pot (cos I had forgotten to clean it, and it is brass, so looked dreadful!) so I just cleaned the big pot that had oil in it and then lined it with foil, so I knew that the chocolate wouldn't taint.....

My aunty suggests that when you clean the oily pot out, dry it,a nd then wipe round with some lemon juice and that apparently gets rid of all funny smells and tastes........

Ooh yum!!! I am just going to have to pull out the fondue kit after reading this!!

Aaah that makes sense. I might have to look at getting another pot before next month!

*TamaraP* Guest

Default Cheese Dip with added things!!

My mum calls it cheese dip, but I think its something else...try it, I love it and make it once a fortnight as a treat for lunch..

250g Cream Cheese (pref Philly)
    1/2 cup full cream milk
    2 tbs Wosterishire Sauce
    2 tbs Mayo

1/2 cup of Gerkin chopped
    1/2 cup of Asparagus chopped
    1/2-full cup of boiled eggs chopped

Mix cheese, milk, mayo, sauce by blender until a smooth paste forms.
    By wooden spoon mix in gerkin, eggs and asparagus..

Eat with crackers... yummy!!!

Default Toblerone dip!

Does anyone know the recepie for this? I had it but can't find it and my memory is no good ATM!

kerry Guest

Ok I make mine like this:

1 large toblerone
    150ml thickened cream
    1 tbl spoon brandy, or kaluha or similar (or skip the grog if you want)

Melt the chocolate and cream in the microwave... about 1-2 minutes,
    Mix until smooth and combined.
    Add grog if you want.

Serve with strawberries, or lollies (bananas are good) or sponge finger biscuits, or whatever you fancy.

OMG!!! This sounds absolutely divine, but very very norti

kerry Guest

It also makes great icing for a cake.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

My friend only melts the Toblerone in microwave and adds cream afterwards to desired thickness /runny- iness

Any chopped fruit in fingersize pieces taste great with this dip - pineapple kiwi, watermelon,pear - we had everything even grapes

kirsty Guest

I make it the same way that Trish's friend does.

I melt the chocolate in the microwave & then add cream until it is as thick as I want it to be.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy.

So did you make it Sammi?

You girls are so wicked!!!

I love you all!

Mental note: add Toblerone to shopping list!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast