Thread: ANyone else quit smoking??

mizzsocial Guest

Default ANyone else quit smoking??

Hey ladies!!

Ok, so since i found out i am preggo i have had 4 smokes.. and i am quitting.. im chewing like crazy on extra chewing gums, and considering i cannot have patches im wondering how you ladies got through it!!

I need help!! I know i can quit, its just the 1st couple of weeks thats gonna be hard!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

mizzsocial,

Congratulations on deciding to quit =D>

Have you checked out the BellyBelly article on Smoking in Pregnancy? It has some great tips on quittibg and dispels some common pregnancy & smoking myths.

http://bellybelly.com.au/articles/pr...g-in-pregnancy

They also recommend Zyban or other nicotine replacements if you need it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Well done on making this tough decision. All the best for sticking with it.

good on you for deciding to quit. i hope the cravings stop for you soon.

Hi Mizzsocial,

Congratulations on making the decision to quit! =D>
    It sounds like you are already making good progress, I am sure you will be able to do it!

I was a smoker, and when I fell pg I wanted to quit, but found it too hard to go cold turkey. I gradually cut down (before pg I orginally would smoke about 15x 8mg cigarettes per day) and each day I would reduce and ration out an amount for me until I was at 2x 2mg cigarettes per day. And then I just stopped for good. I think I had completely given up by the end of first trimester. And 2 years later I still haven't had another ciggarette

Have you thought about speaking to your GP to see if he has any suggestions, or calling Quitline?

(And can I also say that I think that's an excellent article there Kelly - really informative!)

Goodluck with everything, I am sure you will do just fine. Please feel free to post here if you need anymore advice or support.

congratulations mizzsocial!!! =D> Its not easy quitting but its one of the best desicions you will ever make.
    Good Luck and if you ever need any support we're all here for you!!!

LouLou7 Guest

hI There

I quit smoking about a year and a half ago.

I tried everything patches, quitline, courses, nothing worked.
    Then my friend gave me this book called the Easyway to Quit Smoking, I quit pretty easily. It doesn't use scare tactics or tell you horrible stories, it just dispels the myths of smoking. Now I hate anyone smoking near me, it makes me gag. But you have to really want to give up.

Give it a try, I think the author is Alan Carr?

mizzsocial Guest

After reading that article.. i will never smoke again during this pregnancy.. OMG i didnt realise how much effect it has on the baby.. thats terrible.. really opened my eyes!! Thanks so much Ladies!!

good on you mizzsocial, your baby will benifit so much from what you are doing. it may be hard, but remember we are all here for support if you need it!

Lee-Ann Guest

Congratulations mizzsocial, I know how hard it can be. I quit cold turkey once I did a HPT, but I'd only been smoking "full-time" for 2 years, I usually just smoked if I was out on the town drinking. After about 6 weeks I had a drag of DH's ciggy and couldn't believe how gross it was. A couple of other times I've had a bit of a craving during pg but refrained and just imagined the poisons in the ciggy going to my baby and making her dizzy, sick and the effects it could have on her etc, it's helped me refrain from giving in to that urge. I also stopped going with people & my DH if they went outside for a ciggy. I now haven't had the urge for ages.

mizzsocial Guest

Thanks, im glad im not that only one who has givin up "cold turkey"

well ladies, today i havent had one smoke!! IM SOO HAPPY and proud of myself!!

Looks like im offically a non smoker..

Funny enough, i thought today would be harder.. but it was ok.. had a few urges and screamed at DP a few times! lol.. but other than that, ive been good!!

good on you mizsocial - it should only get easier from here

Yay for you mizzsocial!

Mizzsocial we gave up over 2 months ago using Zyban..

I don't know if you can use it whilst preganant so you would have to speak to your doctor.. We were smokers of approx 15 to 20 ciggs a day, so that could be an option?

mizzsocial Guest

Thanks for the advise, RacOOooOOoon, ill go to the chemist tommorow and ask about that product!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep the article on the main site suggests Zyban in reference to quitting while pregnant so if you think you need it, might be worth a shot.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

daniellee Guest

Oh god, other smokers!!!

I've nearly quit (were just TTC) down from 20 per day to 2 per day. And I feel guilty about that...

Its so goddamned hard...

But not just the pregnancy bit, but I don't want to be a smoking mum. I think it looks horrible and my parents smoke and i remember being little and associating the smell of their fingers (smokey) as 'their smell'