Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cottage & Ricotta Cheeses??

Default Cottage & Ricotta Cheeses??

Just a quick question as to whether cottage cheese and ricotta cheeses are safe during pregnancy?

I can't find anything on the container to say whether there pasteurised or not.

Thanks for your help!!

I eat both.. as they are packaged.

ricotta is a big no no which really sucks , i cant have my pastizzis!!

philly is OK though....

Ricotta is fine if it's packaged, it is not ok from the deli section. I never buy from the deli section anyway, the packs are great. xo

Is ricotta ok cooked - like baked in a canelloni?

Thanks again

Dueinfeb,

I dont have a reply for you, but I was wondering the same thing. Anyone know?

ricotta is fine if cooked, so it feta, must be heated over 60 degrees.

I personally wouldn't eat it if not cooked even the packaged stuff, that's just me though, cooked is fine.

I don't think I could cope without my pastizzi and ravul.(maltese food) I just make sure they are really well cooked leave them for a few mins extra just to be sure!

HTH
    ...Laura

Generally speaking they will be pasturised in Australia, due to our food safety laws.
    Only eat them cooked though, just to be sure, as the storage, transpor and maufacturing process can be iffy...even if it is pre-packaged.
    I would just steer clear of anything if you dont HAVE to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    Generally speaking they will be pasturised in Australia, due to our food safety laws.
    Only eat them cooked though, just to be sure, as the storage, transpor and maufacturing process can be iffy...even if it is pre-packaged.
    I would just steer clear of anything if you dont HAVE to eat it.
    Hi All

My doctor referred me to the Food Authority website - here is the link Pregnancy and food safety | NSW Food Authority: safer food, clearer choices

It has pretty much everything you need to know about what you can and cant eat.

Hope that helps!

What about swiss cheese, since it is kind of soft? Is that ok, like in a ham and cheese croissant?

Swiss cheese is fine. It is considered a hard cheese. However if you are unsure, always get Australian cheeses as they are pasturised, whereas European cheeses dont have to be.
    I LIVED on ham cheese and tomato toasties from 6 months to 7 months pregnant lol breakfast and lunch...had to force myself to stop eating them in the end!!

SugarDust Guest

I love cottage cheese especially on my muffins for breakfast!

buggger it! I am gonna have to steer clear of it all now!

Oh, would love a ham and swiss cheese croissant!
    I have a question about another soft cheese. The laughing cow cheese, you know, it comes in the flat round box and is little portions wrapped in foil. Is that okay? Its basically like that cheese spread in a jar type stuff. My Mum bought me some and I really want to eat it, but don't know if I can.
    What is the difference between packaged ricotta and the fresh from the deli?

Netix - Until recently ALL cheeses had to pasturised if manufactured in Australia, and it was next to impossible to purchase OS cheese that hadnt been pasturised either. This includes sheep and goats milk cheeses too. When you buy cheese, check where it is manufactured, as it is possible to get unpasturised cheeses here now. You are more likely to find these at a delicatessen, rather then in the fridge at the supermarket. So always ask if it is pasturised, tell them you are pregnant so you need to know.
    Im not sure exactly what cheese you are talking about, but if it is like cheese spread, tehn there isnt much cheese in it anyway! lol But it should be fine. The ones you absolutely need to steer clear of are blue cheeses, bries and camamberts as the mould and cultures can be wvery dangerous for the baby.

Netix, i have been eating the MooCow cheese (as we call it) - i figure it is closest to Philly so its all good

Thank you LimeSlice. Hmm, I'm not sure where this cheese is actually made.... You know, it doesn't actually say! It may have been on the ribbon bit that I ripped off yesterday to give some to Steph, which I threw out.

My Brother said to me yesterday as he read the ribbon (which has all the ingredients on it) that it is probably full of preservatives, so it might be okay!

He also told me about how they make cheese overseas.... Particularly some parts of Europe. France actually, as part of the EU agreement covers how cheese is made. Ie, it has to be hygienic! Apparently a lot of the cheeses made there have "lost their great flavours" due to this requirement. (Read: the cheese no longer has cow pats or anything else in them! Eeewww! ) Also a lot of the OS cheese didn't have to be pasturised before this agreement. I don't know how long its been in place, but

I have never really liked the blue cheeses, bries, and camembert, so avoiding those is a sinch. I can't understand why anyone would eat them anyway. Again, eeeew.

Kitt3n, we grew up eating it too, and think we may have called it that when we were young, then the French name (La Vache qui rit) so that our Grandmother understood easier, and Mum always called it that. Do you think its like Philly? I think Philly tastes a lot stronger, but maybe that is because when I eat Philly, I eat a LOT more of it!
    I'm eating la vache qui rit on bread as I type!

Netix - your brother is right about the EU agreements, although you can still get cheeses in France etc that are still farm made, the same way you can get salami that is still homemade. Although whilst a lot of the flavours can be lost through these newer practices, they are still made with 'cow parts' lol However, that cheese spread we buy at the supermarket certainly doesnt have too many cow parts in it!!
    Is the laughing cow cheese you are talking about BabyBel? the little red ones?

grr....ate my post so this was a new one, now its back again and doubled this one!! lol
    Last edited by LimeSlice; June 12th, 2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: double post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast