Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food/drink to avoid

My midwives have recommend I start it at 34 weeks and that it helps the uterus contract, so it helps prepare the uterus for labour, some say it can help speed labour up and thats why you only take it in 3rd trimester... I have some and on the box it says its for pregnancy and uterine health... and to drink 3 cups/day.... I think at 34 weeks I'll start on one cup a day (depending on if our room is finished )

Christy

heh, maybe I should start it then, but I think by the time I got around to buying some, it'll be too late anyway.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I would just like to clear up an issue on alcohol.

We'll be doing an article in detail on this however in the meantime, once you are past approximately 14 weeks (when all the baby's major organs are developed and just growth is left to go) it is perfectly fine to drink 1-2 glasses of wine a week. This is backed by medical research and you do not need to feel guilty in doing so.

If you do have a drinking problem, you will need to seek professional help for the support you will need.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Pietta Guest

Cheers for that Kelly... hiccup!
    I'm glad i dont need to.. hiccup.. feel guilty anymore!!
    No seriously that makes me feel so very much better coz although it is either beer or wine i will have a sip from DH's or Godfathers glass/bottle up to three times on the weekend just so i dont feel left out or that I am missing something! They all taste horrible, like sand to me now anyway which helps, but i did feel bad, so i tried not to drink any, but if that wont hurt my precious bub, then I am happy with that!
    Mind you I am looking forward to celebrating actually giving birth a month or so later with a nice expensive bottle of Amberley Shiraz!!!

Orkids Guest

Wow - thanks for the good news Kelly!! Like coffee I just kinda lost my taste for grog at about 7 weeks, although have had the odd half glass in social situations. When we were on holidays I bought a really good bottle of wine with the theroy I'd enjoy half a glass every couple of nights, but I just didnt enjoy it at all #-o and probaby only drank 1/4 of a glass all up. However it wasnt wasted - the boozemiester DH polished it off quicksmart 8-[ .

Its nice to know that a glass when you go out or are with friends is not going to give you a frankenstien baby!

Pietta Guest

LOL @ boozemeister!!

My DH is the same. He works with computers and his mates Dad's comp, crashed on a Friday night and we stayed there til FOUR a.m. Pregnant Peita was NOT impressed with this!!
    Anyway mate's Dad bought DH a bottle of Chivas Regal and I said make sure you leave me some to have later on... like once i reach 20 weeks. He forgot and DH and mate (godfather) drank it all!!
    I said a few lovely adjectives to him and he got me some cointreau for next time! LOL that bottle normally would last a month! now i havent even opened it!

Oooh Chivas! That's not the sort of thing you drink to get ****ed! That's what you have a nip or two of every night sort of thing. My dad has one or two nips of whiskey every night (to thin his blood he says, but better for him than the asprin he used to take for that) and he loves Chivas, but doesn't get it very often because it costs so much.

I knew the occasional drink was ok, my sister had one or two on New years and xmas with her daughter (born in feb) and she is the most healthy (loud) little 5yo you could meet. Didn't know that you could drink that much though.

But I'm not a huge wine drinker anyway, and haven't really felt like I was missing much not drinking for the last 8 months. Except in the heart of summer, when I would have killed for a beer or Midori and lemonade. (Which I never normally drink, but that's what I wanted.) Oh well, done is done.

Okay, I am just having a mini-stress after reading this forum, as having found out 3 days ago that I am PG \/ I went out for dinner last night (vietnamese), was very careful with what I ate, but had a pot of Jasmine tea, as I thought this would be a safe drink alternative! Now I read that it can cause contractions of the uterus #-o Can anyone clear up whether this is one to be avoided?

Hi Beth... Welcome to BellyBelly -

for the Jasmine Tea... I haven't read anything anywhere about it... it can be so confusing! all I know is that I drank Jasmine tea early in PG as well, I had awful morning sickness and I could only get tea's into me and I used to drink Jasmine & Lime tea almost daily... until I was around 16 weeks pregnant...

Christy

Beth,
    I read the sasme thing about liquorice, and avoided it all pregnancy, but have recently started eating it in little bits again, hoping to start something off. Unfortunately nothing happened!

Sometimes these things can cause the effects they say, and in others not. My mum didn''t change a single thing for any of her PGs and had seven healthy children, with no mishaps. And she was eating dutch liquorice, and drinking coffee, eating fish, you name it. Maybe things were all healthier back then, who knows. It really would be best to ask your doctor or naturopath in the case of herbal things, and anything you are seriously worried about.

what about peanuts? i have read somewhere that it is best avoided if members in your family are prone to allergies.Apparently eating peanuts can cause your baby to be allergic to them once they are born.
    anyone else heard of this?

Yes you aren't meant to eat peanuts during pregnancy in case of allergies. Also I have heard that children under such an age aren't supposed to have them either.

I ate peanuts over christmas break and realised after half a pack i wasn't meant to be LOL.

Love :smt049

Melinda Guest

I don't think you're meant to eat peanuts whilst breastfeeding either for the same reasons........

oh - just had peanuts the other day (not a lot though)
    ... good to know! (although my family has zero allergies, but Monkey has quite bad hayfever/dust allergy)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123