Thread: Good things to snack on when pg hunger hits??

Default Good things to snack on when pg hunger hits??

Hi everyone,

I'm at nearly 6 weeks now with baby #2, and I am desperate not to put on 20kg like I did with DS!!

When I was pregnant the first time I kind of took the 'take it easy' thing too seriously, and did no exercise at all, ate for two, and succumbed to every craving I had. So basically, it was not the healthiest approach.

Now I am feeling those familiar hunger attacks, where you MUST EAT NOW or else throw up/feel sick. What do you find are good snacks to have on hand for these times? I usually find it easiest to eat plain salty carbs, like a saltine cracker, but I am trying to find lower carb alternatives, or at least a bit more nutritious, and not labour-intensive.

Any ideas?

You do need some carbs buddy!

I liked dried apricots and almonds. They were in my drawer at work, the glove box, my pockets.....

Hi-

ATM i love snacking on grapes, sultanas (also good for added fibre) all kinds of fruit (great season ATM, mmmm nectrines, peaches) bananas, carrot sticks, yoghurt.

Im summer i crave iceblocks, or i make my own ice cubes with fruit juices etc.

I gained 26 kg with my first so i know how you feel- that my fear with this preg... i've been eating healthy this preg and been walking, riding bikes, swiming, all the usual house hold chores, plus my 3 y/o keeps me quite active these days etc, but still have put on almost 10kg so far... Oh well at least i know that i'm eating the good stuff and staying active.

Oh i forgot fruit smothies, ( i love banana smothies (skim milk 1-2 babanas and a dash of vanilla... yummo) Also help you feel full for longer

sultanas I ate packets and packets of them also apples

Dried bananas and other fruits, almonds are also brilliant! Grapes are also really nice and refreshing at this time of year!

Hope this helps

Vegie sticks and dip. Fruit muffins/bread, fruit, boiled eggs. Yogurt, custard.

Some great ideas here, thanks a lot! I like the idea of vege sticks and dip, perhaps cutting up a whole lot at once and keeping it in the fridge for easy access.

Making me hungry thinking about snacks

i've been making a nut and dried fruit mix and taking it to work with me, pepitas, sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews, sultanas, dried apricots and dried apples. also lots of fresh fruit like bananas, lychees, stone fruit, apples.
    today i have fallen off the wagon and eaten really badly. i have had a packet of salt and vinegar chips and am now devouring a packet of those soya crisps. i think i was carb deprived!

I used to eat heaps of snacky foods all day.

Bickies - particularly milk arrowroots and kingston bickies. YUM I love bickies with cream in them and it was always exciting when the office manager bought them. And Jatz crackers for when I had a craving for something salty.

Dried fruits - mainly apricots but also pineapple and mango.

Fresh fruit - I found bananas to be the most satisfying... however they did give me shocking shocking heartburn towards the end of my pregnancy!

Cereal - especally the types of cereal that are big and you can just eat the out of the packet, eg mini wheats. I had a box of these in my drawer at work. Actually, I had all of the above in my drawer at work. It was supposed to be a drawer for client files and manuals/books, but it was more like my own personal pantry!

Bananas were my weakness... unfortunately for me it was just after Cyclone Larry and were costing me on average $4 EACH!!! I also went for watermelon oh and pineapple... omg I ate half a pineapple by myself in one hit...lol.