Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morning, Noon & Night Sickness Cures?

I am wearing my sea bands now, so I hope they help.
    I managed to get myself an earlier dr apt this morning (but had to wait over half an hour, grr, I really hate that!), to speak to the dr about zofran. He looked it up on his computer, and it said that it had only been tried on animals (that really helps us humans, doesn't it!) but not verified as safe for use in human pregnancy. "Benefit must outweigh the risk" or something like that. Okay, I don't think so, thanks, but no thanks.
    Whilst this is really depressing me, and I even started crying at the dr and then again at the chemist, I will not risk anything I don't really need to. I'm not dying (though sometimes it really feels like it).
    Dr recommended something over the counter from the chemist, which the chemist said was just b6 or one of those b group vitamins, but was very confused at the dosage the dr had recommended. 250mg. Anyway, they didn't have anything, and recommended that I go to the naturopath. So I will go se him shortly, and ask about nux vomica, or anything else he might recommend. Depending on how these sea bands go. God I hope they work . I will also be severly kicking myself for not trying them sooner, even the other day when they were suggested on here.
    On the other, nicer hand, my Mum made me chocolate mousse yesterday!

I went to the homeopath this arvo, and got some nux vomica (I think! ) and some tiny little chinese medicine tablets. THey should help, and the homeopath felt really sorry for me, especially after I told him about how sick I was for the whole of my last pg.
    Well, we will see if this magic stuff works (I hope it does ). I'll let you all know in a few days when its had time to do its thing. I'm not feeling real good at the moment, but I think I may have eaten too much at dinner.

Hi Hun, hope you are improving. Just had to pop in with my two cents worth...

DD1 I was really ill, got up and chucked immediately every morning then felt a bit better after that. lasting from 6 - 22 weeks. Started on blackmores vitamins to reduce MS. Stopped the vomitting eventually, but i still felt off for the rest of the day.

DD2 decided i would rather chuck up every morning and then feel ok for the rest of the day, instead of feel off for the whole day but with no spewing. BIG MISTAKE!!!! the daily vomiting is not good for your oesophagus(sp?) All that acid does damage to the tissues at the bottom of your food pipe. It took me months to recover from that and have now got reflux problems from permanent damage to muscle btween pipe and stomach.

Not meaning to scare you, just letting you know if you can stop the vomitting, even if if you still feel unwell all day, then IMHO this is the best way to go.

Also I heard recently that 1/4 teaspoon of "celtic sea salt" in room temp water every day is helpful. works like a vitamin. Not sure if it would be easy to drink this if you are already feeling yuk... but who knows.... Also rest more but sleep less, and always breathe through nose. Something to do with co2 levels in the blood...

I dont know if these things actually work but I am hoping for the opportunity to give them a go

Thanks Myson. I haven't been throwing up at all for this pg, but was always chucking for the first one. To be honest, I would rather be throwing up this time rather than feeling how I do. I constantly feel like I need to throw up, which I think feels worse. I know chucking all the time is bad for the osophegus (ha! My sp is worse than yours!), but I went okay last time.
    My homeopathic remedies haven't seem to have worked, I put the sea bands back on last night, and the combination may have helped a little. I still feel crap, but I managed to do the dishes this morning (about three days worth- noone else bothers to do them, even when they know I feel crap! ).

Hi Netix, sorry to hear how you're feeling, I totally understand what you're going through & sympathise deeply.

As a sufferer of Hyperemisis (HG) in all of my pregnancies I've had severe m/s all day & night, the worst being when I got to the point of vommiting every 2 minutes (Yes I times them) I ended up sleeping on the bathroom floor hunched over the toilet bowl until DH got up & took me to the hospital. It was then that they diagnosed me as having HG. Of course I had to go through the normal maxalon, stemetil etc etc & when they could see they didn't help they asked if I wanted to try Zofran (the first time I had zofran was in 2003 & I've never had any side effects etc).

With DD I had to take zofran from 6 weeks until the night I gave birth (I took my last one about half an hour after giving birth due to still vommiting) miraculously the sickness stopped the next morning, fingers crossed it will leave as quick this time around, I've heard stories of woman experiencing HG well after giving birth, those poor woman.

I saw someone posted in here that zofran didnt work for her, I dont know if maybe she didnt have the right dosage or maybe her body just didnt accept it for some reason? I know when I got out of hospital I was on 4 wafers a day but as they cost more than $10 per wafer I weened myself down to 1 per day which is what I currently take.

I know you said your doctor said it had only been tested on animals but I think you should get a second opinion, as I said I've used it since 2003 & I know it's the medication given to chemo-therapy patients for their sickness. I've had doctors at the hospital & local GP's prescribe them to me without the slightest worry that there hasn't been enough testing done. I do know it still isn't classified as a "safe during pregnancy" drug such as maxalon & stemitil but after taking it for 9 months with DD & DD being born healthy (& apgars (sp?) being 9 & 10) I'm not worried about taking it again this PG. As the doctor at the hospital said, if you're worried about losing your baby from taking this medication, think about if you dont take it, you will definately lose your baby (in my case). It wasn't a hard choice.

I try to come off my medication throughout my pregnancies (mainly because of the cost) but so far no luck. The last time was last night I didnt take my meds, I woke at 4am needing to vommit, took my zofran which I keep by the side of my bed & once I got back to sleep I felt much better an hour later when getting up for DD (had to settle her back to sleep) then slept through til 8am & felt close to 100%. So in my case it looks like I take them until I give birth but others may only need them for a few weeks etc.

I just wanted to let you know a good case from using the zofran zydis. When the sickness is unbearable you'll try anything & this makes me feel 100% when I take it every night, I don't feel nauseas at all, I can enjoy my pregnancy.

I have heard about acupuncture working for some woman & I've also heard good things about the sea sickness wrist bands (neither worked for me, along with absolutely everything else, besides the zofran) so I do hope the other options work for you.

Hoping you get some relief soon.

BTW Each pregnancy I always say I wont be having another due to feeling so terrible but once I get it under control with my medication I always change my mind, even considering another after this baby LOL

I have no idea if this works or not as I haven't tried it... only just read it a few days back and thought...oh I've never heard of that for m/s but must remember it in case I need to try it... also I can't think of where I read it -

anyway, apparently mandarins are good for m/s.

I used the seasick bands last pg - they didn't stop it for me, but certainly made it a lot more bearable. First pg I really didn't have much m/s at all, but second I had it a lot worse and they helped me a lot.

Thank you Danielle for the long reply, and letting me know how you have being going on zofran. I have never heard of HG before.
    I just cancelled a drs apt I had tomorrow, cos I didnt thik I needed it, but now i'm kind of regretting that move. I am seeing a homeopath atm, who has given me some concoctions. On their own, they dont work, but with the sea bands, I can almost be normal. Still feel s**t and like I want to vomit, but at least I can function mostly (but my tping ability seems to have lapsd). I am going back to see the homeopath tomorrow, so rather than get more things from him tomorrow, I will try to see a dr and have another talk about zofran.
    I have also said that this will be my last pg, I am not enjoying it at all. It is getting me down that both my pg's have been sick, miserable times. Even if I get the ms under control, I doubt whether I will change my mind on that.
    Thank you again.
    Ozzie, I will get a few mandarins tomorrow morning while I am out, and see if they help. Thy will be far cheaper than more hompeopathic stuff or zofran! Thanks.

I am so unhappy. The homeopathic potion and pills are not working. The sea bands are not working. In fact, yesterday I took nothing for m/s and felt the same as when I was taking everything. Each of the two days before that, I vomitted terribly in the evenings, it was really painful. Yesterday I even had these funny marks (still) from the little beady things on the sea bands, even though I had taken them off the day before.
    I went to go and see the homeopath last night, as on Fridays he is only open between 4 and 7pm. I waited until 4.30, but he never opened his store. I even rang his landline, and just went through to the answering machine. I am pretty sure that he should have been open already this morning, and I have not heard from him. I don't think I will bother going to see him. It will only cost me money for more than likely no positive result. Last time he did not charge me a consultation fee, of which the first is $70-odd, and the subsequent $30-$40, plus any medications.
    Well, maybe taking nothing and feeling the same means that it is passing ( please!), even though I tried to bring up this morning's breakfast.
    I am so sick of feeling like this, and so is my Man. He is being very patient, but I am being very distant.
    Oh yes, I have been having mandarins, and I can't say if they have been working, but they have been really nice. Until the ones Ibought yesterday. They are really ordinary. Actually, not nice at all. I went to a different grocers. Dammit. I now have a whole bag of hard, not sweet mandarins to eat!

I am sorry you are feeling so bad.

Nothing worked for me with my sickness and i was like you i was sick morning, noon and night with my first and i tried everything. It eventually went away for me at 20 weeks

You poor thing! I know how you feel, i was sick pretty much all day long when i was pregnant. Tried all the tablets from the pharmacy & all the other things you have already tried & nothing worked. I did wear the sea sickness bands all through my pregnancy and to bed, not sure if they actually helped but i was too scared to take them off just in cae they were working. I went to the doctor who prescribed Zofran for Hyperemeises Gravidarum. I had to take this pretty much all the way through my pregnancy. Once i got to about 26 weeks i was then only vomiting in the mornings or if something upset my stomach, like something i ate or smelt. Still felt nauseous pretty much all the time though. Until then i was vomiting all day long & missed out on heaps of work.

From what i know the Zofran is classed as a class B medication for pregnancy only because not many pregnant people have to take it and have no reported birth defects resulting from the use of zofran. I found out i was allergic to maxalon when it was first prescribed to me.

Danielle M - i remember trying to come off my meds too, thinking i might start feeling better and then all the vomiting would start all over agaiin (back to square 1)
    It was the only thing that worked for me & like you i was able to still enjoy my pregnancy ( as much as i could)
    I remember the midwife had to give me one straight after i gave birth as i was still sick but that was the last i had to take.

Of course hot chips & crunching on ice all day long helped too.

Hope it all eases soon for you

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    I did wear the sea sickness bands all through my pregnancy and to bed, not sure if they actually helped but i was too scared to take them off just in cae they were working.

lol I was the same... I didn't stop using them until one day I forgot to put them back on after a shower and hours later realised it and also realised I felt ok.... I did keep them in my bag though in case I needed them..lol!

I was afraid to take the sea bands off for a while too, just in case they were working.
    I don't think the m/s has past. Still sick. Yesterday I took the bus down the street, and as soon as I got off the bus at the shops, I had to head straight for the toilets so I could vomit. That didn't impress me. But, then I had something to eat, which ws good. While I was down the street, I missed a phone call on my mobile from the homeopath, so I desiced to head over there. Its all within walking distance down at the shops, so that is good. However, when I noticed the call, I had just sat down at the bus stop, at about 12.15 (bus due at 12.30). I miised the call by about five minutes, so I thought I would walk down there. I walked slowly there, expecting him to be open (9-1 on saturdays), but nooo, he was closed! I rang the shop nimber again, but got the machine, again. great. Not. By that stage, I couldn't be stuffed walkiong back to the bus stop as I had obly five minutes to get back there. SO, I sat, felt like having a bit of a cry, and Steph was continually kicking her blanket off and pulling her socks off, which was also annoying. I was texting the Man, and he eventually picked us up after he finished work. BLAH!

Hi Netix, i just wanted to write a quick post. I am also in your position, this is my second pregnancy and very early days, and I am finding it hard to look after my first child when I am throwing up multiple times a day and soooo hungry! Everything I eat ends up being thrown up.
    Anyway - I just wanted to thank everyone who has replied to your post, as it has been a fantastic reminder of things to try.
    Hope it passes for you soon xox

Thank you Sash. I thought a couple of days ago that it was actually starting to pass, but I was mistaken. I had one good day. I've given up entirely on the sea bands and homeopath (his receptionist eventually called me, and I took great delight in telling her that due to her not being bothered to put a sign on their window saying they would be closed for the weekend, that she had cost her boss at least $100 for my nest visit, as well as goodness knows how much in the future. That made me feel better, but I did it nicely).

Now, I am just eating whatever, but staying away from things with onion and garlic, and trying to eat a bit of steak and some lightly steamed fresh veges every day. I think that seems to be helping the most, oh, and the mandarins. Not that they fill me up, but they have a nice taste.

Did you ever get the preggie pops?

My m/s is hitting hard, thankfully no vomitting so far though. Just 24/7 nausea for me.

Even green apples are not helping me like they have before..LOL

Did you ever get the preggie pops?

My m/s is hitting hard, thankfully no vomitting so far though. Just 24/7 nausea for me.

Even green apples are not helping me like they have before..LOL

I tired EVERYTHING as well.. and the doc just said.. Sorry... nothing we can do to help you... Just have to put up with it...

BUT WHAT ELSE CAN HE OR I DO?? NOTHING.

I was on 5 different types of meds.. nothing worked.. .. I am just glad it went away at 20 weeks.. even though some ladies unfortunatly get it their whole pregnancy!!

Kim, no, I forgot to get the preggie pops. Now we are desperately trying to save money to buy a house that we saw on the weekend and absolutely love! I know, don't get attached to a house, but this one is fabulous!
    Green apples haven't done much for me either. It even took me half an hour to eat one the other day!

Didispunk, that's pretty much what they told me for my first pg. Actually, don't worry it will go away by 12 weeks. Yep, That's great, except for the fact that I was well and truly past 12 weeks! Gee that used to p*ss me off.
    I was sick for the WHOLE of my first pg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast