Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 12w Appointment...

I totally agree with Zola, she sounds like a cow and it is Aaron's baby too and he should be as much apart of it as he wants to be and that includes going to the hospital with you.

I have never heard of questions like that being asked. When i had my appointment with Nicholas she just went through my medical history.

Kazz & co \/
    Nicholas 26/10/02

I think we should let them in on our secret

Munchkin & I will be there to hold Feliola's and your hands whenever you need it. Except during birth cos we will probably be in the same position at the time

[email protected] woman! How bloody rude! I remember marc did have to go into another room whilst they asked me personal questions, but they never asked anything about abuse :evil:

Ok I'll ask...whats the secret?

*hugs*
    Cailin

OMG Sarah. That woman sounds absolutely dreadful.
    I can't believe she didn't even try to listen for the heartbeat.
    From memory I heard DD's heartbeat around 10 weeks?? I know it was earlier than i expected. Definately know it was before 12 weeks.

Hope you and Aaron get to see and hear munchkin next time.

Nic

Debbie Lee Guest

What a weird question to ask! And how bizarre to assume that you wouldn't want your husband - the father of your baby, at your appointment! Friggen hell! What kinda backwards hospital are you going to?? (though I shouldn't comment - haven't been to mine yet, lol).
    Domestic violence? Honestly, do you think anyone would answer it truthfully to a complete stranger n e way?
    Sarah, have you thought about submitting a complaint to the hospital? This is just too bizarre!

Sarah,

Like all of these lovely ladies, I am horrified to your appointment - golly, I hope that doesn't make you feel bad!

It seems that every doctor, including ob's and midwife's do things differently. I' ve seen my ob twice and both times he has used his sethiscope (sp?) and has told me he can hear the heartbeat - and the first time was at 10 weeks? My gp said that this couldn't be done? Very confusing!

My ob booked me in for a scan at 12 weeks, unbeknownest to me, for a n/t test as well - didn't even give me a choice! And that it cost us $90 that we can't claim back. If given the choice I would not have done it but maybe he does it for all his patients over 30? I meant to give him a piece of my mind last appointment but I totally forgot!! pg brain at it's best.

So I sort of understand what it's like Sarah, let's hope that your next appointment you get another midwife. I can't believe that they said that Aaron shouldn't be there?? I have DH at every appointment.

Oh well, I hope that everyone goes well from now on.

Special note to zola - tsk tsk girl!! 2nd tri is not scary in the slightest - get over there now!!

LOL Cai, Zola even said what it was!! The secret was out big tanty that we had... A few weeks after it, we were both pregnant - obviously that's what did it, not the copius amounts of BDing that was going on

Not sure if you guys would have heard about it in Melb, but there are 2 hospitals in the middle of a big scandal with patient deaths in Southwest Sydney atm - Campbelltown & Camden. I'm at Campbelltown..... Don't worry the deaths were totally unrelated to obstetrics and the relevant people are gone now, but yeah kinda makes you wonder! I can't go to another hospital either cos my GP can only go to those two & I am NOT leaving him for anything.

At least I only have 2 appointments at the hospital plus the birth, the rest are with my fantastically lovely GP (even if he did tell Aaron he dropped me on my head when I was born LOL).

I was never asked about domestic abuse either and Andrew was always welcome at all my appointments. Sarah you can request not to have that midwife again, it is a paitents right.

Love :smt049

It seemed like a standard thing. She went through all these sections on the computer asking questions in each - like family history, past pregnancies, height/weight etc details & then this section.

I think I will ask not to have her again cos she was a bit mean. We walked out of there & looked at eachother & both said "She was a bit mean don't you think?!"

Awww Sarah, I feel so bad for you and Aaron. BIG :hugs: :hugs: to both of you.

Kazz & co \/
    Nicholas 26/10/02

Oh no!! What a disappointing appointment..... and I agree with everyone, what an absolutely rude lady!

I find that weird re. the heartbeat. When I went for my first U/S at 7 weeks exactly the sonographer picked up the heart rate and displayed it on the screen and measured it. So I'm sure they would have been able to do that with yours. Then at my NT scan at 12 weeks the OB in Germany did the same and he even could put on the sound and you could hear it swishing away.

If you do want the NT scan, I agree with everyone else, just go private and pay out of pocket. If you're not too fussed about it (=read, wouldn't have an abortion anyways), then just wait til the scan at 16 weeks (though I can understand it must be annoying to have to wait another month). I know it's a bit of money, but for me it was totally worthwhile! I found it so reassuring to see our Snowmonkey pogo-dancing inside my belly.

I hope your next visit goes a lot better!! (and how weird that they supposedly sent you a letter saying your husband shouldn't come, what the... ?) It's such a wonderful experience for a couple! Weird people! (change the hospital!)

Snowy

C'mon Zola and Sarah, venture your way into the 2nd trimester - we talk about so many fun things like heartburn, belly hair, back pain, stretch marks - how can you refuse!!!!!!

Jess

Hi Sarah, i'm sorry to hear that your appointment didnt go to well.
    That midwife sounds awful, i would deffinitley ask for a different one next time
    I dont get my booking in appointment until 19weeks because i am doing share care and my gp has been on paternity leave so i only saw him last week and i'm 15weeks tommorrow, i thought he woul of checked the heartbeat, but told me that i have to wait for the midwife to do it, i eep saying to dp that i'm going to end up having this baby without seeing a midwife LOL

Anyway i hope your next appointment goes alot better, and come on over to 2nd tri, its great.

pandora315 Guest

I don't want to offend any Australians but I think the way they treat pregnancy over here is terrible. In the U.S. with my first prenancy we did a home prenancy test that came back positive at about 6 weeks. We called my Gyno and they made us an appt for the next monday where they did a urine test and then an internal ultrasound to tell us when conceptions occured. They even let us take the pictures home with us. Then they set up an 8 week appt. where they checked my blood pressure, urine, and also checked with doppler for the heartbeat- which they found. Not only that but they gave us the option to take a machine home so we could listen to the heartbeat anytime we wanted at home in case we were worried. Then I had another appt after the third month, and one a month until the third trimester where I went every two weeks and then once a week in the last month. Not only that but all the blood tests and genetic tests where covered by medicare- not like here where if you want them you have to pay for them. When I found out I had to wait until 10 weeks to even see someone I almost died! We're planning on going back to visit family for Christmas and I'm seriously considering staying over there until the baby is born because think the care is so much better.

Wow, that's amazing Pandora, I wish we had that type of care here in Oz.

Kazz & co \/
    Nicholas 26/10/02

Wow, it's amazing how things are so different between here & the US.

its the same as the UK, everything is free from the NHS, man i miss that!! lol, but yeah i had great care theyw ere always checking for joshuas heart beat,they listend to the heart using some thing they put on my belly and then put there ear too and then used a doppler thingo so i could hear it you had an appointment with the midwife at your local doctors surgery every 2 weeks untill after 32 weeks then it was every week, , ultrasounds were good u got to take piccies home too, they made all the hospital appointments for you, the best thing i thought though was it was all covered by nhs and aswell u got a mdical expemption certificate or whatever it was called so up untill the baby turned one and from date of conception you didnt have to pay for any perscriptions or dentist work, loved it hehe

i think i may be in for a bit of a shock going through a pregnancy here.

Debbie Lee Guest

Pandora - isn't it a whole other story if you don't have insurance over there? I was told there was no such thing as medicare over there? Just curious.
    I only ask because a friend of mine went back to Florida while she was at the end of her 2nd Trim/ start of 3rd and she had some bleeding. She managed to clock up $6000 worth of bills because she no longer had insurance (even though she was born there). If it had been the other way around and she was coming back to Australia, medicare would have covered most of it. Guess there are pros and cons to every medical system iykwim?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast