Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you eat all day?

Wow i never knew that about tuna during preg. thanks for the advice and tips Starzia, i dont have to mind about the coffee though i cant stand it. lol

Hi Starzia - thanks for the advice. I was a regular tuna eater before and am still eating my stocks at work. I don't have it every day but probably 3 times a week (work mon to fri). I read in Kaz Cooke's Up the Duff book that tinned tuna was ok.....at least I think I read that. Will need to go back and check it.

Do you have more information about why tuna (tinned and I assume fresh as well?) should be limited? I will be really disappointed if I have to cut back. They're so good for you normally. Also, what do you mean about smaller fish? I had sardines on toast for breakfast the other day - are they better? Ta.

Oh my, I don't think my list of things I eat would fit on one post!!!

I have picked up 5kg already!!! With my last pg I picked up about 15kg'ish all together, but I carried soooo small so I am not counting. I already LOOK fat, in my hips and back and just under my boobs ... and I am not making a consious effort to stop eating or just look at what I am eating....

Ok here goes:

Yesterday: Breakfast: Ham, Egg and Cheese (very little) toasted sandwich on Brown Bread, 330ml cranberry juice and a 330ml Ice tea (I am currently sick, so drinking A LOT)
    Lunch: Small portion of deep-fried chips with salt and a chocolate, cuppa rooibos
    Snack: Two small packets of salted peanuts and rasins and lots of water
    Dinner: A healthy portion of lambcurry on rice with sliced banana and half of DH's Coke (can you spell HEARTBURN ) .. and later some coolaid.
    Late night snack: Small tub of yoghurt and a chocolate ... again ... water, water, water
    Somewhere inbetween dinner and late night snack I also had some wafer biscuts ... about half a pack

Today: Breakfast: Drinking yoghurt on the run
    Lunch: Ham, Salad, Cheese and Mayo Sandwitch on wholewheat bread with Mango/Orange juice.
    Currently: Digging my way trough a large packed of (again) salted peanuts and rasins ... and 1.5lt water

Kaz, Tuna contains mercury that can be harmfull if you eat like a truck-load a week. Found this for you:

In March 2004, FDA and EPA revised its advisories on mercury in fish for pregnant women and young children. Generally they are advised to eat no more than 2 meals of low-mercury fish per week - one can of light tuna or half a tuna steak is considered one meal. FDA recommends to limit albacore white tuna to one meal per week as it is higher in mercury. So check the labels when purchasing canned tuna.

Target: Women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children to avoid some types of fish and eat fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury
    Avoid Fish with High levels of Mercury: Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish
    12 oz. (~2 meals) of Low-Mercury Fish per week: shrimp, crab, cod, clams, scallops, canned light tuna, canned salmon, pollock, and catfish etc.
    Note: Albacore "White" tuna contains more mercury. Limit 6 oz (~1 meal) of albacore tuna per week.

HTH

Nadine: You should be very careful about eating ham or any other deli meat unless pipping hot because of listeria bacteria.

Starzia: I usually do not have any coffee on week-end, could i ask why I should not have a small (which equals to one shot of espresso) of coffee everyday when I have not really been drinking any Coke and really watch the amount of chocolate I eat. Would that still be too much caffeine for the bub? Thanks

Thanks heaps Nadine! I'm so glad I posted in this thread, I didn't realise tuna was one of the high mercury fish to avoid. I will switch to canned salmon as I love that too!

Sorry to butt in but I have read that coffee everyday is fine.....I read one or two is absolutely fine! I have one or two everyday and sometimes even diet coke....it keeps my headaches away.
    I am eating healthy but I am eating a fair share of junk food too....lord will I regret that later on!

Hi guys,
    there is such a mix of information out there and at the end of the day you have got to do what you feel is right, but from my point of view I am a passionate natural nutritionist who believes in eating organic wholefoods and living as naturally as possible.
    The placenta is not a barrier as previously thought, 99% of substances ingested do go through to the baby so in light of this I believe in avoiding any toxins whilst pregnant.
    There is literature out there that says it is safe to drink coffee everyday, eat tuna, take medication, etc, but I believe unless it is absolutely essential why do anything that is not beneficial, and can even be unbeneficial, for the baby?
    Im sure many of you will think I am a purist and are happy to continue doing some of those things and that is your choice, I personally choose not to drink any coffee, tea, or soft drinks, and I avoid all processed foods, refined sugar, and medication (though even when not pregnant this is still the case!). :-)

Moose, yeah I know, but its from my own shop, so I know when it was brought in fresh and how it was handled and where it came from and when it was made But thank you!

Kaz, no problem. After posting this on Friday, I had this weird craving for tuna I finaly had some last night on fresh farm-baked whole wheat bread .. YUMMO!!

Skyblue - I personally don't drink coffee, I am a tea girl ... but I can't see a problem drinking a cuppa a day. And if you are worried, switch to decaf. I like my sips of DH's coke too ...
    And like you ... I am going to regret eating all this junk But that is next year's worries

Hi Ladiesok this is my 5th bub im due 10th Feb im 8weeks pregnant.My start weight is 68kg a little over weight for my height.Well when i got pregnant i planed on being healthy like exercising and eating healthy but this cold weather makes me lazySo yeh iv pretty much been eating what ever i want without so much guilt.
    Ok Brecky i had fruits,toast
    because i dont work i snack on things like icypoles&mandarines
    lunch would be rice with left over curry or something
    if there is biscuits around i will have a few of those and more fruit
    Dinner is rice and some sort of malaysian dish coz hubby is malaysian
    Im just bad if there is yummy things around because ima sweet tooth and as much as i say im going to stop it never happens.I dont get m/s only get hungry
    Ok i hope you all enjoy your bubs inside of you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12