Thread: When can you hear a heartbeat?

Default When can you hear a heartbeat?

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how early you can hear bubs heartbeat on a doppler? I don't know if I can wait for my first scan!

Thanks!

Awww hun it's so hard waiting isn't it!??? I don't have one but I remember reading ages ago that it was something like 10-12 weeks or so, but I might be wrong. Hopefully somebody who knows for sure will pop in soon!

ETA: Just did a little search for you (gotta love google ) and depending on the brand it says anywhere from 8-14 weeks.

Hi

I am not positive - but pretty sure at least 12 weeks, when the uterus moves up from the pelvis ... so if you are having a 12 week scan, probably will be the first time! Sometimes they try at 12 weeks but more like 14 weeks to be definite.

Good luck!

I saw mine at 7W 1Day on an ordinary u/s - not a transvaginal one. 158 BPM

awww i just went to the Doc's today to hear my Bubba's heartbeat and i am 11 weeks tomorrow and unfortunately we could not get a solid beat. The Doc said he 'flickered' over it a couple of times and he heard movement but unfortunately he couldn't 'latch' onto it so i could hear it and believe him!! I do believe him and he was positive he heard it and that all is good. I was a little let down i spose but i believe everything is all good. Now i will just wait for my 12 week scan, not that long now! Just see ur GP and ask if he can give it a try. Even if we can't hear it, they have an ear for these things and will know what to look out for! Best of luck xo

I heard Isabelle's heart beat at 6 w 3 days and this bubby at 7w 5 d so I think it can be quite early with an ultrasound, but an at home doppler might be a bit later.

I am not certain but I think its a bout 4 weeks, but they expect to have a HB by 8 weeks at the latest... Well, thats what the OB told me when I had my MC.
    That was on a n U/S (Dating scan) though

So you could try to go to a dr and get him to have a listen anytime after 4 weeks I think!

Its a great sound!!

GL
    Last edited by LimeSlice; March 27th, 2008 at 09:27 PM.

With a doppler you can hear the heartbeat at around 12 weeks but it can be very hard to find. With ultrasound you can hear the heartbeat from about 6 weeks.

I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks 3 days and they couldnt see it or pick it up. I had another one at 6 weeks 6 days and they picked it up.... just.
    The doc told me they can usually start to pick it up around 7 weeks give or take a couple of days but thats with an ultrasound not a dopler...i've hear some of those doplers you buy for home use can be quite difficult to find the beat so just beware of the shonky ones

Hope it helps

i have had afew ultrasounds already this pregnancy and first time heart beats for the twins were picked up was 6 weeks on ultrasound (sadly one twin has passed) and now at my first obs appointment they heard bubs heartbeat on the doppler at 8 weeks.

My MW had a go with the doppler at 10 weeks and couldn't hear anything, but when I went back at 14 weeks we heard it.