Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when did you tell family/friends you were pregnant?

Default when did you tell family/friends you were pregnant?

when i was pregnant with my eldest son we told everyone as soon as we found out. but with second son my IL's were so rude about us telling them 'too early' with eldest son i didn't tell them until i rocked up at xmas 6 months pregnant, they were a 'little' shocked. i tell my sisters early but wait until 3 months to tell everyone else.

with this pregnancy i have told my sisters, one friend and that's it, really and probably won't tell anyone else until xmas when i will be 3 months. But i am desperate to tell people especially now after a great ultra sound result............ i just want to sing it to the mountains la la laaaaaaaaaaa.

when did you tell family/friends you were pregnant?

Hi Beckles,

I was wondering the exact same thing so I'm glad you posted about it.

I am planning to tell our families on Xmas Day. Actually it's a little complicated because they don't speak with each other and we have to tell DH's parents first so we will tell them Xmas eve.

My first OB appointment is on the 23rd but I think the scan will be the week after Xmas.

It is so hard not to tell people but it's for the best.

Gemma.

I havent told anyone yet...we are planning on telling our parents next week, but then we wont tell anyone else probably till 3 months.

Its so hard though when your with your friends and you just want to blurt it out!

the answer is there is no answer. you tell people when you are comfortable telling them.

we told people straight away, we didnt care if there were people who didnt agree with that, and there always is. it was our decision and our decision alone to make, the people that mattered were ecstatic from day one of knowing, and those who weren't weren't worth worrying about, no one could dampen our excitement on this one!

i agree min that there is no right answer. i actually wasn't asking when people 'should' tell i was asking when they did tell. good on you for letting people know early on.

i must admit i love it when i don't tell and i don't see people for a while, the look on their faces when they see a big pregnant belly

love beckles

We waited until 12 weeks to tell almost everyone for my first pg, and then for the 2nd one, it ended at 8 weeks, so parents and PIL knew then. While we were on IVF, people pretty much knoew from the word go - even before the actaul "event" so to speak (ie the injections etc..).

For the last pg, we just told my mum and PIL at 6 weeks after a good scan, but then at 10 weeks when it failed, SIL/BIL also knoew (via the grapevine).

This time, we are keeping it quite until either a bad scan (and hence surgery) or we intend to tell people on Christmas Day, by which I will be almost 12 weeks and will have been monitored every step of the way. If I make it to Xmas, then I gunna make it to term!!

Hayseed

Keeping my fingers crossed for you this time, Hayseed.

We told my Mum & my in-laws at 6 weeks (I couldn't keep my mouth shut telling my mum, and we knew it would score brownie points with the in-laws.)

I told my sister in law a couple of days later because she's also pregnant and it was lovely to share with her.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) her partner - my stepbrother - 'congratulated' me the minute he walked into our place for a family party a couple of days later. ](*,) Several of my siblings were right next to me so worked it out immediately. My husband and I then had to run around the house and tell the rest of the family so no-one heard it second hand and got upset. It wasn't how we planned to tell, but it didn't matter. Everyone was thrilled for us. \/

I'm going to try not to tell work until after we come back at Christmas but by then I'll be about 16 weeks and I think they'd rather know before then can actually work it out just by looking at me!

We told everyone straight away at 4 wks, DH left the decision up to me I decided I`d tell everyone in case something misfortunate happened I`d need there support afterall.

Take Care

Deeanne

layla Guest

Hmm, this an isssue for me at the moment.
    With my other pregnancies we told everyone family and close friends straight away and I don't regret that. Even though things didn't wok out last time it was good to have the support.
    This time however DH really wants to keep things quiet 'til about 10-12 weeks. I would like to tell people though, just so that this baby is recognised even if things don't go well. Does that make sense?
    Everyone assumes that because of the m/c that we won't be telling this time but I don't see why we shouldn't. The only people I don't want to tell yet are the kids as I don't want to see them dissapointed again if things go wrong. I'd like to tell them at Xmas. What do you think? 8-[

I told my parents and dh straight away, and then that was meant to be it - but dh told EVERYONE in the world in about 3.4 seconds... eeek!!

I told everyone pretty much within 2 days of finding out.
    However DP waited a few weeks to tell his family, as he was still pressuring me not to keep the baby at the time...

I have told you guys on BB.
    My close friends back in the UK, Paul's Nan, aunty and cousin.
    I have also told my family but we have not told Paul's as they said they would come and visit Feb next year and have still not booked and i knwo that if we tell them they will wait to come when the baby is born and I don't think that is fair on Kimberley.

I got the +HPT at 7am and by 7pm everyone knew!!! I couldn't resist, it had taken 26 months to get there we *had* to tell everyone as soon as we knew cos we were just so excited!

We were 7 weeks through to about 12 with telling people. There is no right or wrong, its all about what you feel comfortable with.
    My SIL tried to tell me last night that I had done it wrong, and I shut her up by saying - it worked for me, doesn't mean it had to work for you!!
    Just do what feels right - you might make a couple of mistakes here or there, but really, its happy news so there is no harm!
    Good luck,
    Fi

*Megan* Guest

Hi Everyone

I have hardly been able to contain myself! But we have only told both sets of parents and my close girlfriends....I will be telling absolutely EVERYONE next week though....I just want to hear the little heart beat one more time to be sure!

It is so hard not telling people....not long to go though....

Megan :hbeat:

I also have rude in-laws who have criticised me for telling of my pregnancy "too early". I prefer people to know early, as then they are ready to support you if anything did go wrong. It's a personal choice thing when you want to tell people.

I didn't realise it was rude to tell people you were pregnant too early!! How strange!!!! Why on earth would they think it rude? Someone please explain.

I have told all my family, and the family of my fiance know also. Some of my close friends and colleagues at work also know. But I'm not putting an ad in the paper just yet! :-) I am 6.5 weeks.

I was baffled by them saying you shouldn't tell early. My sister-in-law said you're "not allowed" to let people know until the 3 month point (she has no personal experience of being pregnant, and likes to put her two cents worth in).
    When I told people with my first pregnancy, a girl at work said I shouldn't have mentioned it so early as I would then need to explain to everyone if something went wrong. However, I was glad I told early as when I had a bleeding scare and needed a week off work, they were understanding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast