Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 18 of 43

Thread: Amniocentesis

  1. #1

    Unhappy Amniocentesis

    I just don't know were to start i have not stopped crying since i left the Dr's this morning. I've been told that i am high risk of having a downs baby my chances of this is 1:294 the NF looked fine at the scan but it's my blood test that has made me get these figures.

    I just don't know what to do i am so scared of having a amniocentesis done because of the risk of miscarriage.
    The thing that makes me scared the most is that i have already been through 3 m/c and i don't know if i can cope with going through another one and then finding out the baby would have been ok.

    I'm really looking for anyone else that has been through this and has had the amnio done.

    ETA I have just under two weeks to make up my mind on what i want to do.

    TIA


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forestville NSW
    Posts
    8,944

    Default

    aww Michelle I don't know what to say. I haven't been through this fortunately but I hope that there is someone who has that can help support you through this scary time. *hugs*

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Melbourne
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Michelle

    I am so sorry that this has happened to you. Its horrible that they give you these statistics and then leave you to make up your mind.

    I had the same thing happen to me when I was PG with Hayley, but my results were 1 in 72, I think. I know it was a really low number! it was a horrible time and having been through m/c's before I really didnt want to take the chance of having the amnio done at all. I know that I couldnt have coped with the stress of it all, especially with having other kids to look after too. A lot of my results were due to my age, which is apparently factored into the blood test. the actual measurement of the NF was within normal range, I did heaps of research into it.

    They dont give you long to decide BUT you have to do what you feel is right for you!

    Best of Luck, I am here if you need to talk.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    Oh Michelle, you poor thing. I haven't been there so I don't want to give you any advice on what you should do, but I am thinking of you and wish you all the best.

    I am wondering whether the term "high risk" was used by the dr or you? The dr that did my u/s said that he doesn't use the term high, medium or low as these mean different things to different people. 1:294 might be considered low risk by someone in their 40s who start off with a risk of 1:42 or something! Also I wouldn't back a horse at those odds, you still have a much better chance of a normal bub than a downs one.

    I guess some things you can think about to help you make up your mind are whether the risk of mc is higher or lower than the risk of downs, what would you do if it was downs, and if you would continue with the pg do you need to find out now or can it wait until bub is born.

    Very best wishes and lots of hugs to you. Hang in there. Get lots of support around you!!

    Melanie

  5. #5

    Default

    Melanie the "high risk" term was on the report that was send to my Dr after my scan and blood test results where done. It was not something she made up to scare me. I have the report also so i know she didn't make them results up.

  6. #6
    goldilocks Guest

    Default

    Michelle, huge hugs to you honey :hugs:

    There are quite a few women on BB who have gone through the same thing (there was a thread about it not too long ago). Hopefully they'll see your post and give you some advice.

    Did the doctor give you information about the amnio? Would they possibly not give you the amnio because of your history of m/c? From what I've read, there is only a small change that it would actually cause a m/c. Do as much research as possible in the next few weeks before you make a decision...I can understand how difficult this must be for you.

    I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Please know that I'm thinking of you and your little one

    Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Bendigo, Vic
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Michelle
    My friend, who was 38 during her first preg had a thick nucchal fold measurement and a high probability for downs. She went ahead with the amnio and everything was fine. She have birth to a perfect daughter. She was a nervous wreck before the amnio but her peace of mind afterwards made it all worthwhile.

    The chance of miscarriage is 1 in 200 with amnio I have read somewhere recently. I've also read that any complications are usually due to the particular technician administering the procedure - so it is a good idea to get some indication from who ever is performing the procedure - what their safety record is and what the safety record of the clinic is.

    I'm pregnant with my first. I have waited over 10 years to be pregnant. My fertility specialist tells me that my chances of an abnormality are 1 in 80 and that is before I have any of those tests.

    So to me - 1 in nearly 300 is good odds. It is far more likely everything is going to be ok. In fact it is 293 times more likely things are going to be fine than not fine. Keeping my fingerscrossed for you.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Michelle - i'm so sorry hun :hugs:
    I have not been through this myself but attended one with a family friend as her DH couldn't make it. She was an absolute wreck and had to decide within a few hrs after her u/s revealed problems with the baby and they needed more info. She decided to go through with it and fortunately all worked out really well. Her DS is now 7 and doing great! I wish u all the best and will keep u and ur precious bub in my thoughts and prayers!

  9. #9
    Percy Guest

    Default

    If I were you I would think about what you would do if the amnio results came back not so good. Would you terminate? Or would you carry on with the pregnancy and take the risk?

    If its the latter, then I wouldn't do the amnio. But thats just me and I wouldn't terminate anyway.

    Best of luck with an awfully hard decision.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Michelle, though I have not been through this, just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you have to go through this, and wish you all the very best with your decision.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    If I were you I would think about what you would do if the amnio results came back not so good. Would you terminate? Or would you carry on with the pregnancy and take the risk?

    If its the latter, then I wouldn't do the amnio. But thats just me and I wouldn't terminate anyway.
    That is exactly what I was going to say. But then again like someone said, the peace of mind would be good.

    If you look at it realistically though, the chances of miscarrying from the amnio are higher than the risk of Downs.

    Whatever you choose will be right for you.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cowtown
    Posts
    8,276

    Default

    If I were you I would think about what you would do if the amnio results came back not so good. Would you terminate? Or would you carry on with the pregnancy and take the risk?

    If its the latter, then I wouldn't do the amnio. But thats just me and I wouldn't terminate anyway.
    yup, I agree, i would only do it if you were thinking of terminating if the test showed +ve for downs.

    If you do go ahead, you should be able to check on an individual doctors stats for the procedure, i.e. miscarraige rates are measured per doctor, so some have ratios of 1:400, 1:200 etc

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In Doula~ville
    Posts
    1,112

    Default

    More support here!


    Whata shock for you sweetehart, but know that everyone is here for oyu 100% all the way in whatever decision you make.

    Maybe you could do your work and get as much information about both as you can, ask as many professionals as you can and then weight it all up between you and your man.


    I can totally understand your worry though, it's a shock.


    For myself, I would have the child no matter what, but that is me, and I am not saying at all you should if it were to have downs.


    I saw on ababy show that they can tell if the baby is downs these days without having to have a amio, as they tell from the neck, might have to look into that more though, I hope they can tell by not having to do a amnio. But sounds like the risks for amnio are not that high so sounds like it pretty much safe to have done.


    I guess it wether you would care of your baby were to have downs, or if you really need to know so to make a decision then.


    You'll make the right choice that is right for you sweetheart, and we will all be here to spuuort you whatever that choice may be.


    Lots of positive vibes your way!

    soul

  14. #14
    Sal Guest

    Default

    Oh Michelle, what a turmoil you've been thrown into

    'High risk' is classified as 1:300 or lower, so you are only just 'high risk'. As other girls have said, they are actually low odds. I know I'd be feeling exactly how you are if I was told the same thing, I'd be terrified of having a m/c and finding out the bub was fine. RayRay is right, the m/c rate for the procedure depends on the doctor and I think the general figure bandied about is 1in 100 (which is a much higher risk than your bub having downs).

    Just try and think the 'worst case' scenario through (eg your bub does have Downs). If knowing this wouldn't change your mind about going through with the pg, then IMHO the risk of m/c with an amnio is much too great. But if you'd reconsider the pg knowing your bub has Downs then maybe it is worth the risk?

    Sorry, only you and your DH can know what you'd do in the various cases, so only the two of you can decide what is best. ((((huge hugs))))

  15. #15

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Beautiful Adelaide!
    Posts
    2,877

    Default

    Michelle, you poor love.

    I had exactly the same dilema when I was pg with Charlie: my nuchal fold was fine, but my blood tests came bafk with a figure of 1:274, and we had around a week to make a choice.

    It was a very harrowing time for us, in terms of "do we undertake the risk of a mc" alongside the awful potential decision of "What would be the decision we make it we have a confirmed case of Downs".

    In terms of the risk, the average risk of an MC is 1:200, but this really varied depending on who is peforming the amnio. My OB in Darwin (who performed the amnio) had a personal risk of something like 1:450.

    In the end we went ahead and had the amnio. Personal choice for us at the time. Because I lost my first baby, I had NO testing AT ALL with Olivia, but for some reason chose to have all the testing with Charlie.

    The waiting was the worst bit. Waiting for the procedure, then waiting for the results. But as you know, Charlie is PERFECT in every way, and our results after the amnio were totally 100% conclusive of no Downs, which meant that I really enjoyed the remainder of the pregnancy with peace of mind.

    BTW, the procedure itself was a little uncomfortable for me, but totally painless.

    Michelle, I can totally relate to how upset you must be. I cried buckets for days. And I can't help you make the choice as to whether to have the test or not. But I'll be thinking of you, and if you want to PM me or anything, fire away.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Michelle - this is a terrible situation for you, andI can't add anything to make you feel better or to help given I haven't been in that situation.
    Its great that Lucy has been able to give you some direct advice on what sounds like a very similar situation, so I hope that makes things a little better for you.
    I dont know what Id do in your shoes. Is there anything else they can do? I know here (in VIC) they recommend the blood test closer to the 15w as its more accurate, so maybe it would be worth repeating the blood test to be on the safe side? You have plenty of time for the results to be processed within your 2-week window.

    And then I have to agree with the others - what would you do if the results come back definitely positive? As the others have said, your odds are only just high.

    I personally would go for a repeat blood test, and see how similar the numbers come back before making a decision.
    I hope that helps.
    Fi

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Moura, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    3,754

    Default

    As I said in the PAML thread, and what many others have said here, what would you do with the results, if you would end pg go for the amnio if you would contibue with the pg then dont do it, that is how I feel

    but ultimatly only you and DH canmake this decision, :hugs: to what ever you decided we will all be here for you

  18. #18

    Default

    Thank you everyone for your replies and help.

    Percy and everyone else that has asked not 100% sure if i would terminate. At the moment i would say no i wouldn't but not sure what i would do if the amnio results came back with something wrong.
    It's something that i will have to talk to DH about.

    Lucy is the amnio 100% right when you have it done or can they still make a mistake ?

    I just called the hospital and have got an appt to see a OB tomorrow to talk to them about further tests and to see what the risk is if i have the amnio done their.

    Thanks again for all your kind words.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •