Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 19 to 36 of 43

Thread: Amniocentesis

  1. #19

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Beautiful Adelaide!
    Posts
    2,877

    Default

    Lucy is the amnio 100% right when you have it done or can they still make a mistake
    Michelle, it is my understanding that the testing of the sample is done under very rigourous conditions & that, yes, it is 100% conclusive........I am pretty sure on this. I questioned my OB on this issue too.


  2. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Hi Michelle,

    I went thru the same thing as you. Our chances were 1:282 (v thick neck thingo at 18 week scan( 7.2!!), didnt have the bloods or scan at 12 weeks as i was 24) By the time they told us, we had only days to make our decision.

    We were offered an amnio app for the next day and didnt really know much about it. Once we got in there, and we were told about the risks (1 in 100) it seemed pretty pointless to have it, so we walked out.

    We had made the decision late the night before that we would not terminate if the results came back positive. It was our decision and it was what was best for us and our little one. Everyone is different.

    I know what a hard time you are going thru right now but all you need to think about it what you will do if the results come back positive. That will make your decision to have the amnio or not. If your not going to do anything about the baby having downs, well why risk it.

    ill be honest with you, not knowing untill Abby's birth was very very hard but we got thru it and it got easier as time went on <-- thats the simplified version!!

    If you need someone to talk to please email me
    Last edited by lovemybubs; January 24th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

  3. #21

    Default

    Michelle, I don't have anything further to suggest, but I just wanted to offer you my support. I hope that the appointment tomorrow helps you see things a little clearer. You're in my thoughts.

  4. #22

    Default

    After a long talk with Paul last night he wants me to have the amnio if the OB at the hospital says it's best to have one and his odds are good. Paul won't put me through it if his odds of m/c is lower than 1:200. Sadly if there is something wrong with the baby he wants me to terminate the pregnancy. I know this is hard for some of you to read and we do have a lot more time to talk about this but he has admited to me that he doesn't think he would be able to cope with a down syndrome baby/child. I'm pleased that he has been honest with me and not just gone with what ever i have said.
    It's not just us we have to think about we have Kimberley and Alexander to think of also. Also i don't think our familes would treat this baby the same as Kimberley and Alexander if something was wrong. I know that sounds heartless and we maybe should talk to them about it but they are not 100% in our lives everyday and it's us that has to cope with all this on a day to day bases.

    It's breaking my heart writing this. It's all i have thought about since yesterday morning. I have this horrible sick feeling in my tummy that just won't go away no matter what. I've eaten just because i know i have to but that doesn't help with the pain.
    I wish now i never had the scan and BT done.
    I'm going to ask if they could do the bloods again as that is the only thing as i can see is the problem. The NF is a good size and we where told that when we where having the scan that is why we can't understand my odds have come back like this. I know my age (34) is not on my side but i just keep thinking that they are just ok and everything will be fine. But age doesn't always have something to do with it like my Dr said a heathy 20 year old could go through the same as us.

    I keep thinking i have done something wrong but i know there was nothing i could have done to stop this from happening.

    Thank you so much for listening and being there for me. Not sure what i would have done without all your support and the lovely PM's i have also been sent.
    It's going to be a tough few weeks and maybe a tough 26 more but we will get through this.

  5. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Moura, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    3,754

    Default

    :hugs: stll here for you

  6. #24
    Michelle36 Guest

    Default Amniocentesis

    Hi Michelle

    I'm usually a 'lurker' on bellybelly, but I really feel for where you're at at the moment, so wanted to share my experience.

    I'm 37yo and currently 39 weeks pregnant after a missed miscarriage in June last year. My nuchal fold scan result was well within the normal range at 1.3mm but my blood test results and maternal age put me in the 'high risk' category with a ratio of 1:220.

    As much as my husband and I desperately wanted this baby, making the decision to have an amnio and the risk of miscarriage associated with it, while still difficult, was something I knew I had to do. I work for an organisation which provides day care services to people with physical and intellectual disabilities including Down Syndrome, and while there are many wonderful parents and carers out there who live with children with this syndrome every day and do an outstanding job, I personally knew that I could not do it myself. There are so many things to consider including other or future siblings, the possible impact on your relationship with your husband, other family members, and who will care for this child when you are no longer around.

    I had huge guilt issues in thinking this decision through. Were we being selfish? Was a child with Down Syndrome any less of a gift than a child without it when it was sometrhing we both wanted so badly? For me it was really important to find a technician who would do the amnio with personal statistics that were better than the global ones associated with amnio. The clinic where I had the amnio done here in Melbourne was fantastic and I was so surpirsed at how quick and painless the procedure was.

    One thing I would definitely recommend is that if you can, get the 'FISH' results. This process provides you with results within 24-48 hours rather than having to wait up to 2 weeks. You do pay extra (appx $120) which you cannot claim back from insurance or Medicare, but it is well worth it, rather than worrying yourself sick for the longer period.

    The amnio results are 100% conclusive and not only provide a result for Down Syndrome but also for Trisomy 18 and Trisomy 13 ( I think off the top of my head). If you want to you can also find out the sex of your baby from the result.

    We found out we are having a healthy baby girl and I would definitely do the same again next pregnancy. At the end of the day, you need to do what is best for you and your husband and absolutely talk through with him everything you're both feeling. I would be more than happy to share more of my experience if you're interested.

    Best wishes!!

  7. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Michelle - I am pleased that you have made a decision - no matter what anyone says, as long as its the right decision for you guys.
    I think its a good idea to do the bloods again, and I dont 34 is going to affect the odds that heavily. I know over 40 it gets ridiculous, but I thought under 35 and you were still not too bad?
    Good luck, and I think you guys have made a brave decision. Its not your family's call,, its yours and whatever you decide is OK.

  8. #26
    Tigergirl1980 Guest

    Default

    Oh Michelle, I can't believe that you're going through this. It's good that you had a good long talk with Paul. You have such a hard decision to make and I'm sorry you have to make it. I think it's fair to say that you won't be judged for any decision you make, we are here to support you no matter what decision you make.

    Good luck hun.

  9. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    Michelle, my thoughts are with you for your ob appointment today. Take care - I'm sending all my positive vibes your way.

    Melanie.

  10. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Michelle, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. The decision about whether to test and what to do if the results aren't favourable is not an easy one. Just know that I am thinking of you.

    Mel

  11. #29

    Default

    Back from the hospital i still have no idea what the best thing to do is.
    The odds are 1:200 risk of m/c if we have the amnio or a 1:294 risk of having a down syndrome baby. My risk factor had gone up from 1:239 so it's looking good to me. But it's also up to DH. I have to go back next week to see them if we want to go ahead with the amnio if not we don't see them again until 20wks.
    At least we have a few more days to think about it again. I think DH is coming to my way of thinking now and not have the amnio done and just take the risk.

  12. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Michelle, firstly let me say that I really wish I could be with you to give you a big hug right now.
    The girls in the previous posts have given you a lot of good advice and thoughts. I have had 2 amnio procedures done. The first with DD when I was 39 and the second with DD when I was 41. Both procedures went well and I had no discomfort either during or after. I was also scheduled to have one with my last pregnancy . But everyone is different. Yes, the odds of M/C are about 1/200 and with some specialists their personal rate are even better. Both times I went for the Doc. with the best odds (just happened to be my OB). But as someone else has said, you must consider what you are going to do with the results (if a negative outcome) if you go ahead and have the amnio. Terminate, proceed with the pregnancy. I have been brought up around children with Down Syndrone since I was 5 (my mother was a foster carer). Her last charge left our family home only after my mothers death and shortly before my fathers two years ago. He is now 40 and has been with our family since he was 2. We have had some happy , wonderful times over the years and I wouldn't have changed them for anything. But my personal decision if the amnio had come back with a positive result for Down Syndrone would have been to ternimate. I am still of this opinion despite having suffered another loss. My husband is behind 100%.

    But we all are different and have different outlooks, opinions and reasons for doing what we do. I know you probably feel as if you don't have much time to make such an important decision. Get as much info as you feel you can cope with and make the deciosion that is right for you and your partner. Try not to feel pressurised by other people. This is a very important time for you and you must feel comfortable with what you decide.

    Don't forget we are all behind you and will listen to you when ever you need to talk.

    Do take care and I will be thinking of you.
    Debbie

  13. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Michelle, just a quick thought. I read a book about prenatal testing written by a well respected Melbourne specialist. He wrote a chapter about statistics. He said that we all panic when someone says that there is a 1 in a 100 risk of something. He pointed out that if the statistic was delivered in a different way i.e. 99% chance everything is OK. then we would all feel much better. Infact our odds wouldn't have actually changed, only the way we interpret the information. So 1 in 200 risk of M/C would mean 199% chance of everything being fine.
    1 in 294 risk of Down Syndrone would be 293% chance of everything being fine.

    But he did point out that a risk is still a risk so we have to decide which is the harder one for us to accept.

    I hope I have been of some help to you.
    Hugs and blessings,
    Debbie

  14. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Michelle, firstly let me say that I really wish I could be with you to give you a big hug right now.
    The girls in the previous posts have given you a lot of good advice and thoughts. I have had 2 amnio procedures done. The first with DD when I was 39 and the second with DD when I was 41. Both procedures went well and I had no discomfort either during or after. I was also scheduled to have one with my last pregnancy . But everyone is different. Yes, the odds of M/C are about 1/200 and with some specialists their personal rate are even better. Both times I went for the Doc. with the best odds (just happened to be my OB). But as someone else has said, you must consider what you are going to do with the results (if a negative outcome) if you go ahead and have the amnio. Terminate, proceed with the pregnancy. I have been brought up around children with Down Syndrone since I was 5 (my mother was a foster carer). Her last charge left our family home only after my mothers death and shortly before my fathers two years ago. He is now 40 and has been with our family since he was 2. We have had some happy , wonderful times over the years and I wouldn't have changed them for anything. But my personal decision if the amnio had come back with a positive result for Down Syndrone would have been to ternimate. I am still of this opinion despite having suffered another loss. My husband is behind 100%.

    But we all are different and have different outlooks, opinions and reasons for doing what we do. I know you probably feel as if you don't have much time to make such an important decision. Get as much info as you feel you can cope with and make the deciosion that is right for you and your partner. Try not to feel pressurised by other people. This is a very important time for you and you must feel comfortable with what you decide.

    Don't forget we are all behind you and will listen to you when ever you need to talk.

    Do take care and I will be thinking of you.
    Debbie

  15. #33
    Tigergirl1980 Guest

    Default

    Good luck with whatever you decide Michelle. No one here can tell you what you should do, but I'm sure, together, you and Paul will make the decision that you feel is best for you guys.

    Lots of big to you.

  16. #34

    Default

    Just called the hospital where i would have the amnio done and they are going to send out some more information for me to read about this and they also gave me another number to call so i can talk to someone about it. The lady was a little shocked that my local hospital did not tell me to call them. I found the numbers on the back of a leafet the midwife gave me.

    Thanks again to everyone for your support.

    ETA: She did say that i had only just made it to being high risk i think i would have had to be 1:300 not to be high risk.

  17. #35
    Tigergirl1980 Guest

    Default

    It's good that you're getting further information so that you will be fully aware of everything. I find it always helps when you have all the information in front of you rather than having someone tell it all to you. Atleast you can re read things over and over so you have everything set in your mind when you make your decision. It is surprising that the hospital didn't give you reading material and numbers to call if you have questions.

  18. #36

    Default

    We had a long talk last night and we are going ahead with the amnio. I'll have to call the hospital Monday to bring my appt closer so we can get the referal. I would like it done as soon a possible the waiting is awful and i just want to get it over with.
    It's then going to be a tough few weeks till we get the results but we will get through it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •