Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of FGF

Default Anyone heard of FGF

Hi,

Just got back from a visit with my doctor. Got back test results and everything is fine and dandy!

He said that he wants to me start taking tablets called FGF - has anyone heard of this??!! He said it for folate and iron. I am taking the blackmore pregnancy and breastfeeding tablets. Would they be enough or shall I look for what he has asked me to get??

Here is some info....

FGF
    Pregnancy Category: A
    Sport Category: Permitted in sport

Uses/Indications: Fe supplement in pregnancy; megaloblastic anaemia due to folate deficiency

Contraindications: Intestinal diverticula, obstruction; haemochromatosis, haemosiderosis; pernicious anaemia; repeated blood transfusions; concomitant parenteral Fe therapy

Adverse Reactions: GI upset (unlikely) incl nausea, vomiting, dark stools
    [/COLOR]

Also, FGF contains the equivalent of 80mg of iron, whereas the blackmores supplement you take contains the equivalent of 5mg of iron. Big difference! I would speak with your doctor again. Mention that you are taking the blackmores product and see what he says, but as you can see there is a bit difference in the amount of iron. Are you anaemic? Anyway, HTH.

I got FGF...although when I did ask doc (I am no longer seeing this one for other reasons) about blackmores pg tabs he was kinda like yeah it's ok but he thought a waste of money...*shrugs* He also told me that he didn't recommend starting the FGF until after the first 12 wks cos of the strength of them it quite often made m/s worse. I have been taking them (try to remember every day but I think I average every 2nd or 3rd stupid pg brain!) and haven't had any problems other than earlier on a bit of constipation - I think from the iron. The folate is 300mg. They are also reasonably priced IMO. Maybe even speak to the pharmacist as sometimes they are actually more up to date on these things or have their finger on the pulse a bit more.

Hey thanks for the info girls!

Rachael - I am not anaemic, well atleast not that I know of.. I did mention one my first visit that I was taking the blackmores stuff but forgot to mention it on next visit...

Hmm i think I will take a trip down to the pharmacy and see what they think. I am going back to my doc in 2 wks so if I am still unsure, I will talk to him bout it.

My OB also didn't want me on high levels of iron until the second trimester.

And I would suggest that 300mcg is definitely not enough folate in the first trimester.

I would go back and chat with your Dr or your pharmacist, that is a very high dose of Iron. Well much higher than the regular pg multis anyway. Most of them have 10-12 mgs.

ETA Sorry Ozz, just reread your post, and it said that the FGF has 300mg (not mcg) of Folate - which is plenty! My mistake! Blaming pg brain.......LOL!

i was told the blackmores , or elevit pregnancy tablets are good after 13 weeks when you no longer need so much folate and FGF are great earlier on BUT if you do require more iron ... the preg multi V's just dont have enough

I don't think my Ob thinks they are a waste of money..........but everyone has a different opinion!

The midwives at the family birth centre I went to had a low opinion of Blackmores and similar multi's. I was one Natural Nutrition (same as Blackmores) and my iron levels dropped and they were great to start off with, probably didn't help that I go turned off red meat whilst pregnant. So I was put onto FGF in the last couple of months. Just wish I knew about it at the start of the pregnancy, not when it was almost too late to do anything about it.

Astrid, I've been the same, only on the odd occasion can I stand the taste of red meat. I was anaemic at the end with Joshua which may have been why it was suggested that I go onto FGF. I must admit though my eating habits as far as leafy greens etc is much better now than back then...partly due to the fact that ex DH didn't like many veges at all...but Andy loves them the same as me so it's a hell of a lot better

Well I went to the chemist and asked them about the FGF and they said that they are very good because it has extra folate and iron. They asked if I was low in iron and I said that I am not too sure.. that I dont really eat much red meat and have been really tired this week. She told me to give it a go and see what happens.

So I guess I will start taking it and I will talk more to my doc about it when I go and see him in 2 wks time.

Ngala, just be aware because of the high iron content in it and if you have m/s it could make you feel a bit worse cos it's strong...that's the only drawback.

If you're getting enough folate from your multi and/or megafol (very cheap) but still need iron, you might want to consider one of the liquid iron tonics like Floradix. They won't make you constipated and seem to give you a boost quite quickly. You slowly increase the dose until your stools change colour (meaning it's going thru unabsorbed) and then you decrease the dose one increment, knowing you're getting enough. This has worked really well for me and some other gals I know (better than iron tablets).

There are so many products out there and so many conflicting opinions that it can get very confusing. Sorry to have added to the quagmire!!

Do you drink it alone or mixed with something?? I HATE taking tablets and am bad at it which is why I probably don't remember to take them when I should. Does it taste gross?? Is it expensive?

It doesn't taste bad and has a bit of honey in it but I am used to ghastly herbal concoctions. It's about $40 from memory but lasts a long time unless you are really deficient in iron and need to take a lot. I drink it straight and then wash it down with water (it's a bit sticky) but I'm sure you could put in in juice. Something to remember - calcium and iron supplements can't be taken within 2 hours of each other or they won't absorb.

Hey Ozziehoffy, I dont have any m/s yet! But I will see how I go when and if m/s does kick in..

Blackbird - you say that calcium and iron supplements cant be taken within 2 hrs of each other, would that mean I shouldnt take the blackmores pregnancy and FGF at the same time?

Thanks blackbird, I might look into that...just gotta remember when I'm passing the chemist next...lol. Sounds like it could be a good alternative for me. I looked at the Blackmore's multi but they're damn horse pills and I just can't do it...I had enough problems with the pill sometimes...rofl...pathetic aren't I!!

I'm not sure how much calcium is in the Blackmores as I use a different multi but calcium supplements will stop the absorption of iron supplements. Rennies have the same effect as they are chockas with calcium. I tend to space out my pills and potions and have some with breakfast, morning tea, dinner, bedtime etc. Makes it easier if you have a few to take and aren't great at swallowing pills as well as being able to separate things that don't work well together. I take my iron before meals and then make sure a few hours have passed before I take my mag/calcium stuff.

I ended up low in iron by the end of my first p/g but started off ok. I was taking the blackmores multi but needed to take iron tablets by the end and when I was bf my dr suggested to take them 3 or 4 days a week.

I suppose just know that you don't have to take iron tablets every day. I know there are times when I've felt tired/weak and I've taken them for a few days and then been fine and stopped taking them again. My dr says it's fine to take them just when you need them as such.

You're requirements change through your p/g as your blood increases so thats why a lot of people end up low in iron by the end....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast