Thread: Blackmores pregnancy gold- dumb Q

Default Blackmores pregnancy gold- dumb Q

Hey I have a dumb question if anyone is taking the Blackmores Pregnancy Gold multi vitamin... It says "Take 2 capsules a day with meals" now I took this as meaning 2 capsules with "A" meal like breakfast but now that I re read it does it mean 2 capsules thoughout the day like one for breakfast the other for lunch?? chalk this brain freeze to pregnancy hormones

no two caps a day and thats it- i don't even bother to take them with a meal- just pop two down when i remember- once a day!!!
    HTH
    odette

I take just two a day - usually with breakfast, but sometimes whenever I remember, not always with food. The label says that two a day give the recommended doses of the vitimans etc...

sorry I think I've confussed you guys too now I understood the 2 caps a day only bit but was unsure on if they meant for you to take both caps at the same time because it say's "meals" I took it as meaning at the same time like breakfast which is what I usually do but the wording kinda suggests scatering them through the day this is crazy I know.. I'm sure it's meant to be 2 at the same time

nino Guest

Hi Tiff,
    I found it very hard to take any tabs during preg, let alone two of them. I ended up using Elevit for preg. It is only one tab a day. Much easier.
    Nadine

Nadine I bought the Blackmores in the first tri and my ob told me to get some elevit, I just ran out and thought since I still have a full bottle of the blackmores left I might aswell just finish them. But they've confussed me

two tabs at once is fine!

I always thought it was two tabs a day, at the same time.... thats what i do for mine. i reckon that easier anyway, I'm hard pressed remembering to take it once a day, let alone two at different times!

I have heard that elevit doesn't have a lot of the right nutrients... I'm sure they aren't necessarily bad, but I know they are missing iodine and some others, cant remember what they are, but I've always heard blackmores is best (though i take cenovis, which is almost identical, but cheaper).

It's not a dumb question - I too have wondered about this!

I was taking one tablet with a meal, twice a day - but then I got lazy and started just popping two at night. As far as I can tell, it makes no difference at all when and how you take them, as long as you take two each day.

I thought it meant thake two once a day with a meal, which is what I've been doing.

I take 2 in the morning with breakfast, i can see the confusion though as it does say "meals"!!

I don't think it would really matter, as long as you get a "daily dose" which is 2x tablets. If swallowing the second tablet is more difficult than the first you might like to take one in the morning and one in the afternoon, you just have to remember to take them twice a day. Otherwise swallow them down together.
    In regards to Elevit v's Blackmore the differences in amounts is insignificant. Blackmores is cheaper, I buy in bulk, I buy the large, 3 month supply (180 capsules) just watch out for specials, I bought the last lot for $40. The price can go up to $55. Blackmores also contains iodine, elevit doesn't. Finally Blackmores is Australian, Elevit is made overseas.

It doesn't really matter, but the idea of having one two times a day is so that your body has a better chance of absorbing it and using it through out the day. It would be like drinking your eight glasses of water on waking - you don't get quite the same benefit as if you drank them through out the day.

I was confused by this too so in the end took 1 cap in the morning and 1 cap in the evening when brushing my teeth - I theorised that it would spread the nutrition out evenly over the course of the day.

Still b/fing and also TTC so I'm still taking them and it's just habit now!

Hi, I take two after breakfast and try to keep them down!

My chemist said the only real diff between this and Elevit was that Elevit use the drug reps who visit the dr's and encourage them to reccomend it.

When I picked them up, the chemist said after breakfast was the best time as the body needs to absorb all of the vitamins etc.

Good luck with them!

I take them both at breakfast too - but someone once told me you're meant to take one with breakfast and one with dinner - the idea being that your body can't store some of the goodies in the pills so if you take them all at once and your body doesn't need that high a dose, the rest just goes to waste. But that was just their opinion!
    I'm sure if it was important it would say 'take 1 tablet twice a day with meals' instead of just 'take 2 tablets a day.'
    I have always taken mine together since it is easier to remember that way and I always feel sick at night anyway so mornings are best for me.

I've been taking mine one in the morning and one at night. As soon as I started taking some folate I became - TMI - constipated! So I sought out the blackmores ones so I could spread them out over the day. I'm feeling so much better now lol!

Nic

the chick at the chemist told me to take one in the mornign and one at night.