Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i increase my iron levels?

Default How do i increase my iron levels?

Hi all,

I am taking FGF at the moment but still have low iron levels, i want to avoid having iron injections and would love to hear any suggestions on increasing my iron levels

Thanks

I'm taking Elevit & was told to take two a day with orange juice (to aid absorbtion).

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Many midwives swear by floradix, which produces less side effects like constipation, is absorbed readily and rapidly and works really well.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

If you have caffeine drinks I'm pretty sure cutting them out helps. And as Sarah mentioned, having vitamin C with iron aids absorption so try to think about combining the two with your meals (eg. a glass of blackcurrant juice with an omelette).

Eat lean red meat, green leafy vegetables (spinach is a good one), bran flakes and strawberries. Those are my favorite iron boost foods. Spinach is really easy to work into whatever you're eating- put a handful on whatever sandwich you're making, throw a few handfuls into some soup, chop some up and mix it with your scrambled eggs in the morning, have a simple side salad with your dinner made of spinach... The list goes on. Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron, so pair it up with those. Everyone knows oranges, try kiwi and tomatoes, capsicum are FULL of vit. C. Eating foods rich in iron is better for you than taking pills or injections anyway; those good foods have other benefits for you, as well, and its easier for your body to absorb.

i had very low iron levels in my first pregnancy. I was told to eat tabouli.....parsley has lots of iron in it.
    Of course, red meat has the best source of iron, but being a vegetarian, tabouli was a good option for me....and it boosted my levels.

Spatone is a liquid iron that comes in little sachets mixed with water (you can have them as is or mixed into juice) they are a highly concentrated iron and it has been said they are a better iron boost than the floradix for low iron - and that floradix should be used to maintain iron levels once they are back up. ie, take spatone for a month and then maintain with floradix.
    You can buy from Chemists and Health foods shops they come in 2wk or 4wk packs and can be as little as $24.95 for the 4wk pk
    they are also convenient to pop the sachet in your handbag and take to work/play so you dont have to remember it every morning.
    Good luck, i suffer from low iron and know how exhausting draining it can be!

Thank you for all your suggestions.
    I will get the results of my latest blood tests on the weekend. So for now Im trying to bring iron up with diet.
    When my results come in and they show that they are low again i will def try the others

Once again Thanks.

The biggest thing to remember is don't drink anything with caffeine in it when you are eating, as caffeine inhibits iron absorption... vitamin c is great to help iron absorption so maybe orange juice instead? You could try to organ juice (LOL organ juice... I meant orange juice ) fortified with iron if thats an option?
    Spinach is excellent! YUMMY! Baked beans are good also.
    Some cereals are quite rich in iron also. You'd have to check on the box which ones are best.
    Dried fruits, walnuts, almonds and cashews are good, so maybe they could try them as a morning/afternoon snack?

HTH
    Last edited by Indadhanu; February 28th, 2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: organ juice LOL!

I loved (still do) SpaTone - I have it in OJ or my berocca every morning. It's keeping my levels up nicely.

Claire Guest

There's some great natural liquid iron supplements on the market that you can take. I used one taken from a spring in Wales - Spatone. Works a lot better than the tablets and you can add it too orange juice in the morning with your breakfast. I took two a day and had none of the normal side effects of taking Iron supplements. Really great stuff!

I suffer from low iron also, all the above mentioned things are good.
    When I am really low and need some boosting I eat a lot of Pate, and if I am really desperate livers or kidney and onion or steak and kidney pie something like that.
    It's not the best thing in the world but it really does help get your levels up quickly. Infact I hate it but force myself as I know it's probably the best source followed by lean meat at least 4 times a week and all the other grains, cereals and veges mentioned.

iron injections suck, and for the love of god don;t take the liquid iron supplement the doctor might prescribe instead of tablets, it's a foulest thing I have ever tasted!

I take ferro-grad C in alittle red bottle from the pharmacy when I get low blood tests that works best as other multi vitamins just don't have enough iron in them when you are aneamic.

HTH

..Laura

ll80, just be careful, pate not recommended during pg. better to get it from red meat or an iron supplement. gl

Yes, defiantely steer clear of liver during pregnancy, too much vitamin A. Dunno about kidney, though I'd probably steer clear...

oh yes definately, I only realised after I posted (well just now heh) that this was a pg thread. Silly ME!! hehe
    I'd just stick with the red meat as much as you can, as well as incorporating the other suggestions mentioned.
    Definately ignore me and stay away from the pate and liver while you are pg!!

..Laura

FeFol is an excellent supplement available in any good pharmacy. It is a combined Folate and Iron supp (taken orally). Worked wonders for me when my iron was very very low (I wasn't PG at the time though). Other than that, all the main foods have been covered; spinach, broccli, mushrooms, red meat, even almonds are a decent source!!! Try to have at least two foods high in iron with each meal. HTH

MG

Yeah, I take Fefol.

Good luck with your iron levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    FeFol is an excellent supplement available in any good pharmacy. It is a combined Folate and Iron supp (taken orally).
    When I was in the chemist last week I saw that Fefol also make an iron supplement, Im not sure how much it cost but it was to be taken in conjunction with the normal Fefol multi if you had low iron levels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast