Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm going to get sacked because I'm pregnant!

M y Dh does the majority of the housework, works full time & often is called soft too by others!!!
    He doesnt care, his reply is "I married my wife, I have to live with her for the rest of my life, do you think I am silly enough to p!ss her off!"
    Often it gets a "Yeah, your right!"

Who cares what others think!!!

Angry

Well, I thought I'd give you an update on what's happening with this situation. I took a call from a girl earlier on in the week wanting to "cancel her interview"... right.

When I took a second call yesterday from another girl who wanted to "cancel her interview" I asked what position was she going for? Receptionist!!!

The inconsiderate ******* didn't even have the guts to tell me that I was getting the boot!!! As far as he's concerned, I still am blissfully unaware of his plans, as he doesn't know I know.

So, I'm home today, trying to figure out my options. Oh, I thought I'd post the email he sent me offering ME the job, till I told him that I was pregnant...

Sarah

Its now time for me to make a decision regarding your position as Admin officer/ Reception. I want to employ a person full time shortly and a number of things need to be considered by yourself. This position will be for the hours of 8am - 4:30pm five days per week.

The functions will remain as the Receptionist but now as we have grown with Staff numbers (something I have told yourself and ALL Staff previously), your role is to now service ALL Staff when required.

I would like you to support all of our Account Managers and their customers when ever they require it and with what ever they need. Your role is to support them and assist with organising their visitors when arriving - making appointments for them may also be a requirement from them also. Organising food and functions may also be what they require and we have good contacts with the supplier - ***** ****, which has an open 12 month purchase order. Supporting the HR guys may also assist them get through their day.

My beliefs are THAT I EMPLOY PEOPLE BETTER THAN ME - is something that I have always pursued and the fundamental instrument that makes THIS facility tick is the TEAMWORK that achieves an outcome........ everyday.

While you report directly to myself, what will measure our success is how others perceive you in this front-line position and how you "manage" the team in front of you.

I need you to consider the above requirements before I make an appointment - please let me know how you feel and if you wish to proceed any further with this group - the choice is yours.

Thanks

Geoff
    I just don't know where to turn next...

Celsie. xoxox

I'd ask him honestly & say straight out that there seems to be a number of persons calling regarding interviews for the Receptionist position, of which you (he) offered yourself.

Does this mean since informing you (he) of your pregnancy that he no longer is offering/considering you for the role?

That way it's all up front..

He may say "When you told me you were pregnant I assumed you were telling me you didnt wnat the role, or he may say, well I really need a permanent person & if you are pregnant & in turn going to be taking time off then I dont think the role is yours (Or some such thing!)"

But ask him, after all what do you have to lose???? Good Luck!!

Hmmm, interesting that so many are calling to cancel their interviews!????

Thanks Tracey. I told him at the time that I'd LOVE to take the job, but I was pregnant and wanted him to know that...

My DH wants to go "speak" with him on Monday...

Celsie. xoxox

Found this...

What is pregnancy discrimination?

Pregnancy discrimination occurs when a woman is treated less favourably than another person simply because she is pregnant or because she may become pregnant. Indirect pregnancy discrimination occurs when there is a requirement or practice that disadvantages pregnant women.

Pregnancy discrimination can occur if you are treated in any of the following ways because you are pregnant or might become pregnant:

refusing to employ you or promote you
    dismissing or retrenching you

excluding you from a training course
    reducing your hours of work
    transferring you to another position when there are no valid safety or medical reasons for this
    demoting you or reducing your seniority
    refusing you accommodation or goods or services
    excluding you from an educational institution

Interesting huh?

Celsie. xoxox

I agree with the others - you should confront him about this - you are just distressing yourself more by not getting it out of the way - ask him upfront, and then if he doesn' give you the job, sue the ar se off him!

Yep I agree, it's obviously not going to go away, so it's best to just confront him & ask him what he is planning on doing, esp as you know he is conducting interviews for the role he offered you...
    If things get a bit nasty, just remind him you have the original e-mail of him offering you the role & now that your preg he is renegging, isnt that discrimination, then smile turn around wiggle ya butt & walk away!!!!!!

Hi Celsie,

I've just read through the whole thread and I think you definitely should do something about this. I can understand if you are hessitant to make a complaint with hreoc or do anything about this as I have previously quit jobs when the boss hasn't treated me right or done some things wrong and I didn't want to put up with it but I was too intimidated to stand up for myself.

What your employer has done is AGAINST THE LAW so don't doubt yourself and think well it was my choice to get pg and he needs someone here when I won't be able to be here, because if thats what he thinks well thats just too bad because he has to abide by the law just like everyone else.

The thing is you're saying you don't want to go back there now after maternity leave and it sounds like you probably wont have that option anyway. So now you just have to think if you need to/want to stay at your job til you're futher on in your pregnancy are you willing to make a complaint and have to go to work and deal with you boss everyday. If not maybe get onto hreoc and talk to someone let them know you want to make a complaint give them the info etc. and see if you can hold off doing anything about it until you can finish up work and don't have to deal with the employer on a day to day basis.

I'm sure your dad will be fine he's only got a little bit of time to go anyway!

Celsie, it is definitely a big decision whether or not you want to pursue this but you are definitely the one in the right in all of this and you don't deserve your boss doing this to you when he is obviously very happy with you and your performance other than the fact that you are pregnant!! Good Luck.

Thank you so much for you replies.

Well, DH called and spoke to my boss...

He said that they were "restructuring" and would be employing a junior to take over the receptionist position now as of the end of the year. So, I was right.

DH asked when he intended on telling me and he said that he was going to speak to me, but there was a death in the family. That's a lie for a start. There was a death. It was a girl who attended the school his kids go to and he knows the family. He's been using that story all week as "Entertainment" and making it all about himself. Going into graphic details about how she was found and that she was blue... he's just a sick [email protected]!!! He doesn't really care about that little girl, he just wanted everyone to feel sorry for HIM!!!

Two days ago, he called me into his office, as said.... "Look after you child".... yeah right, LIKE HE CARES!!!

I'm so angry right now!!!

Celsie. xoxox
    Last edited by Celsie; December 1st, 2006 at 12:33 PM.

I'd forward back the e-mail & let him know you still have the job offer & yet now you know he is not requiring you since finding out about your pregnancy!!!

Dont let the b*stard get away with this behaviour!!!!

He offered the job to you & when you let him know honestly that tyou were preg he has now renegged his offer & that's NOT ON!!!!

Could you wait until your dad retires before lodging a pregnancy discrimination complaint? I'm sure it wouldnt' have to be straight away (after all, how many people wait 20 years to complain about other stuff? A lot! ) - that way your dad would be out of the way adn no harm done to his current work relationships?
    Good luck with it all....

i think you should pursue it... you definitely have a case, its almost black and white.... even if u decide u don't want to pursue it, at least leak the 'discrimination' word and make him sweat a bit ... but if it were me, i would be looking after number 1 and my finances.... this guy has clearly screwed you over...

if you decide to go further:
    start making notes of EVERY conversation email etc etc, and the phonecalls regarding interviews... document EVERYTHING.

just out of interest, what's your gut feeling, do u want to pursue or let it go?

I will pursue it. There's no way I'll let him get away with this. If I don't, he'll just do it to someone else. I think I'll wait till Dad is out of there and bubs is here safely. I don't want to stress me or bubs out right at this point. But, I will document the phone calls. I still remember the girls' names, so that's got to help. Thank you all for your replies.

Celsie. xoxox

also, do some investigative work and see if you can find a copy of the job advertisement, it must have been advertised somewhere right?? would be interesting to see if it was advertised as a junior role, as he said they had 'restructured'... might help later down the track, u never know.

good luck!!

I agree, start the ball rolling now.
    I cant recall when your Dad plans to finish up, but if they discriminate against him too you could both be rolling in $$$$$$ hee hee.

Seriously though if you wait things will be missed, or forgotten, or hazey & you'll probably be less emotional about it, but you need to start now atleast start looking into it!!!!

Celsie, good luck with suing the pants off him - he deserves it! Your dad has only another four months left, is that right? You can get going now; in the UK a lot of legal stuff takes months to get going before your employer would know, if it's the same in Australia then just start it off now.

Call the girls and find out how they'd heard about this thing... also when their interviews would have been!

Good luck to you, I know how awful all the stress is (having had my job interview postponed for another six or more months now) and just want to wish you all the best and hope that a plan of action makes you less stressed and more focussed. Hugs!

Celsie if he offered you the job in writing then you have real proof of the job offer.. if he is going to fire you for being pregnant it would be enormously illegal... If he takes away the job offer because you are pregnant that is also illegal. But to be honest, if you were fired for that reason and you try to claim unfair dismisal or sue they might deny that was the reason for your firing? I dont know. Is your current job permanent or casual?

Anyhow, i totally agree that your boss is a complete pig for advertising your position behind your back... I cant believe the nerve he has to not even tell you.

Also i think its a great idea that you are keeping a record of all your correspondance and the phone calls and the dates of those etc. This will help you if god forbid you do get the boot. I would also speak to someone at the unfair dismissal thing in the office of industrial relations. You dont have to have already been dismissed, you can speak to them if your boss has threatened dismissal, which i know he hasnt really, but what is he doing hiring a new person for your job behind your back? Unless he is going for a job share set-up to help you out while you are pregnant? Anyway, you migh be able to lodge something with them so they have a record before hand.

i really hope you can have this resolved soon and nothing bad happens. You dont need this stress!

Thanks girls.

Karina - he told my DH that I'm no longer required after the 20th of this month. And that he was going to speak to me, just hadn't got around to it... :neutral:

I think I will lodge my complaint now. It's not about making money. I don't want a cent. I want him to be punished for what he's done. He needs to be held responsible for his actions.

Thank you all.

Celsie. xoxox

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast