Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets and Pregnancy/Pets and Babies

*Yvette* Guest

Marisa we'll definately have to go in & cuddle some snakes sometime, lol.

Were your cats always good with the birds or did they settle down from when they were kittens. Coco (our Burmese) is chocolate. We got her cheap coz she was the runt of the litter, not suitable for showing (slightly small) & her papers have not been registered. She was a tiny skinny little thing when we brought her home, & now she's lovely & solid, quite heavy & we're obviously going to have to watch her weight. Just as the breed was described, she's playful, retrieves things, loves company & is very sturdy & robust, which is good because Angus loves to cuddle her and is quite rough. She doesn't mind him at all, and they're all over each other.

Hi Dee. We met a lilac Burmese before we got Coco, an adult, but weren't quick enough & someone else adopted her. The lilac is such a gorgeous colour. If Lila is anything like our Coco she'll be lovely with the baby.

Hi Yvette,
    I think that the cats have always been good with the birds..The birds came after the cats. Dont get me wrong they see the outside birds and want to get them but I think that they know that the others are pets - so they just leave them alone. I have spotted Whitman on the odd occassion trying to put his paw in the cage #-o .
    But so far no major problem.

*Yvette* Guest

Spook spends a lot of time out of his cage or with the door open so he can come & go as he pleases. It's worse when he goes on the floor looking for crumbs. We have to watch Coco very closely, & sometimes lock her out of the room to give Spook at bit of free time (Spook is the Ekky). Angus is fine with Spook too, he comes away from the cage when I call him. Once Spook was on the back of a chair, and I had my back turned for a sec, & found Angus feeding Spook a bit of toast. He could have been badly bitten, but I suppose he'd seen us do it, and could only reach high enough to hold the toast out, and Spook was gently eating it.

Lee-Ann Guest

I'm so worried about my kitties. I've gotten 3 cats over the last 3 years. 1 black moggie, 1 Russian Blue and 1 Bengal. I'm a little concerned about what their reaction will be to a new bub in the house. But I'm hoping they'll be ok, I'll just make sure I still give them lots of love and attention. I'm not sure how to introduce them to the new baby, I guess I will do it slowly as I would if I had a new kitten in the house! It is worrying because I don't want to upset my furkids and I'd like to make the transition as smooth as possible.

beck.o Guest

omg, i am 20wks pg and my cat attacked me. my ear was bleeding and it killed!!! i went to the dr. who said it would be ok.
    i think the cat was asleep and when i put my head on the pillow next to him i scared the hell out of him. he was puffed up more than id ever seen him.
    nasty little bugger.

beck

Ellibam Guest

we have two cats mika(black cat) and giesha( manx) and Bosco (a labrador) who is about two and a half the cats are both 3yrs.
    my biggest worry is giesha as being very human like she just wants lots of cuddles and attention,(very vocal) she has always slept with us under the blankets or on us. but she is also very intelligent so when she gets told off she usually listens. I know Mika wont be a prob as he just runs out to the cat enclosure when strangers of the dog come in side.
    we will introduce bosco and bub slowly as he has a habit of jumping up when he thinks you have some thing in your arms.

I love animals, I grew up surrounded by them and used to wish I could be a vet nurse, I am hoping I will be able to do a few courses at TAFE in a few years to start towards my dream heh.
    I am 19 weeks pregnant and have burmese x DSH kitten called Sooty, he is about 9 months old I think. He is quite large and heavy (he's built like a brick lol). My DF and I got him shortly after christmas, DF was hoping Sooty would spend time with both of us, but he seems to spend more time with me. Whenever I am lying on the couch Sooty comes and sleeps with me. He likes to sit in front of my computer screen and watch me use the computer. DF is a bit rough with Sooty though and likes to play fight with him and bite him. He says that Sooty likes it but Sooty always runs when DF goes to grab him and cries, bites and scratches DF when he is "playing" with him. I try to stop DF, but he seems to think he is right about everything and never listens to me. I am worried that as the baby gets older it might accidently upset Sooty and he might scratch it. But I am thinking it will be easier to train our child and Sooty to play nice rather than trying to get DF to ease up. He also is dead set against getting Sooty desexed (it's a boy thing I think), but since we rent our place, I don't want Sooty spraying everywhere. I think I might just get it done anyway.

I also have 2 dogs that I had to leave at my mothers house when I moved. One is a German Shepherd X called Mitzi and the other is a German Shepherd x kelpie called Oz. They are inside dogs mostly because they can't be trusted to stay in the yard when no one is home. My brother and his fiance had a boy (Jake) in April last year and they visit my mum every weekend. Mitzi loves Jake and is amazingly gentle with him. She is a well natured dog, very patient, but one of her bad habits is she likes to push past people. She always has to get through the door or down the hallway before anyone else. When Jake is over Mitzi likes to keep an eye on him. Jake usually stays in the lounge room with a little gate shut so the dogs can't get in. Last weekend Jake was walking up and down the hallway, Mitzi was walking slowly next to him sometimes making sure her head was in front of him, it was almost like she was doing it so if he fell he would have her to grab on to. Oz is terrified of Jake and backs away from him whenever he walks near Oz. It is good to see how my dogs will react when I visit with my baby. Although I wish I new why Oz was so upset by Jake.

Raven Guest

I have 3 Siamese Cats who live inside and i wasn't really too worried about their reactions. We were a little worried about Rehgan's reaction as he has always been stuck to me and hasnt gone to anyone else and still doesnt.
    We let them all check Cheyenne out when we came home from the hospital which they gladly did but they kinda just looked like they couldn't be bothered with her.
    Until the midwife came for her first visit and to give Cheyenne her heel tap. Rehgan watched her like a hawk and when she did the heel tap he was all up in her face, seeing what she was doing to Cheyenne. It got to the point where i had to move him cos he was freaking the nurse out lol.
    He sat by her when she snoozed in her rocker and sniffed her when she cried.
    Once she went into her cot if she cried the cats cried..
    Now she is almost 9 months old and at the stage where she likes to grab tails and tufts of fur but most of the time they'll just sit there and let her do it.
    My mum breeds Siamese and at the moment she has 14 cats and 8 kittens and Cheyenne loves it there. The cats don't bother with her and the kittens come to check things out.
    One of her cats was born 2 weeks after Cheyenne and was hand raised so him and Cheyenne have kinda been together all the time. He runs from whatever he's doing when he hears us there.
    It's very cute.

Hey chicksters,

We have a 18 month old Staffy x Bull Mastiff named Chevy. He is the absolute love of my life. He's gorgeous and the biggest smooch ever. He knows his place in the house and it's either right on the couch on my lap or right in the bed beside me.

So, you can imagine our concerns for when bubs arrives. He is very over enthusiastic when we get home from being out, seeing as our house doesnt have a dividing fence (backyard to front yard it's all just one big yard!) he tends to jump a little (ok a lot) with excitement when we get home - this is all well and good except he's 40kgs worth of dog! (now picture that running at you from the opposite end of the yard - scary thought eh?!)

He is used to getting all the attention in the house (and he is a real attentionseeker) , my other half even whinges that the dog gets more attention that he does - so we are very nervous as to what the coming months may bring!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (I am really liking the idea of the baby noises playing and a doll around the house for a while - I think that will be a definate goer) Our child is going to learn very quickly that he/she cannot leave their toys laying around - anything on the floor is fair game!!

Hi girls,

this has been really interesting reading, thanks to all who have posted with their stories and advice.

I think the majority of your stories just go to show how beneficial pets can be to a baby/child as they are growing up, rather than the danger that we all (naturally) worry about them to be as mothers.

Raven - your Rehgan sounds sooo cute and protective of Cheyenne! Susan, sorry I don't have any advice about your doggy but I hope all the other girls' advice has been helpful.

Me, I have a 3yo Chinchilla cat called Misty, she stays inside 24/7. I have just had her shaved for summer and for convenience when the baby comes (due in 10 days), and although I'm a little bit apprehensive, I think it will be fine. I have a friend with exactly the same breed albeit a little older, and she has been fine with both her babies. Misty has to put up with my 2.5yo niece who comes over to terrorise her every so often, so I think she is a bit used to kids.

Hubby wants to close the nursery door overnight when the baby comes so the cat doesn't get in there, but I think we should lock the cat in the laundry overnight instead. So far she hasn't jumped into the cot or bassinet but likes sleeping under the cot sometimes.

Oh yeah and she loves settling next to my big belly and purring against the baby! It's so cute. I hope the baby likes it

Thanks again for all your stories girls

Pearl

Can cats know something we don't - my cat has just started to curling up to sleep on my lower belly - I am hopeing that we may be pg this time -and she has never slept like that before - ever - i guess i am fishing for any possibility or any sign....

I do think animals and especially cats pick up on things that we don't.

Don't know whether that is the case here but it is SO sweet AJ, and I hope your cat IS doing it for a reason.

Good luck this month

Pearl

One of my cats used to like snuggling up against my belly when I was PG - even before I was showing. And they both also became super affectionate and quite clingy with me.

Hope it is a sign for you, AJ! Good luck!

thanks Pearl and Angel - me too - she won't leave me alone at the moent - as soon as i lie down she jumps up on me... annoying cos she's a fat cat but hopefully sweet if she is picking up on baby vibes....

thanks angel and pearl she is really begining to bug me - she won't leave me alone - its nice - but i would like my belly back sometime...

Ha ha AJ ... you'll have to get her out of that habit in the next few months when you do get your BFP!

Good luck [-o< [-o<

Pearl

thanks pearl and to you - hope that baby come out soon...

Well we have 3 cats and boy is it going to be fun!

When we have minded my nephew over the years the cats either run or are curious as to what is wrong with him with he cries, it is actually very cute! One trick i learnt was when introducing a new cat into the mix was to place baby power on the back of all the cats (inc the new one) so they all have the similar scent (worked when we introduced the 3rd), so we may have to do that, luckily for bubs he/she should already smell like baby powder..

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast