Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pg and nicotene eplacement theapy?

Default Pg and nicotene eplacement theapy?

Hi, i am 4 weeks pg, and am an modeate smoka.
    I am now quitting, and would like some ideas on how....

Obviously this is a sensative topic, but i would like to know if patches will be ok this ealy on? I have had mixed opions with my GP's advice, he basically told me they ok, and if i can cut down to a couple of smokes a day then thats good. Obviously i want to cut them out completely 4 my babies health, smoking isnt an option 4 us. But i want to quit 4 the long haul not just 9 months....

I beleive that the patches ae a constant nicotene supply diectly into the blood, which isnt the best situation, but is a small and quick dose of that betta then maybe going back to it lata on.

I quit with DS up until about 20 weeks gestation, then lost my job and had a bit of a plot loss and picked it back up (maybe 3 a day) because of that, i had BAD PND and have neva 4given myself. DS is of excellent health, but thats not the point....

as i said, i know this is a sensative topic, and i want the best outcome 4 me and my little baby, so i am afta constuctive advice.

Thank you in advance.

Jen.

P.S my laptop still isnt fixed, so the spelling mistakes ae a technical issues, nothing to do with my schooling lol

Nicotine is what a smoker craves, but it is the other chemicals in cigarette that are dangerous to a growing baby. Carbonmonoxide binds with the red blood cells rather than oxygen, which is why babies of smokers have stunted growth. If you had to choose the lesser of 2 evils, the patches would be better, go for one of the 16 hour patchs, so you have a nicotine free period or choose to use the gum, so you can use it when you need the nicotine hit. I have been told by a smoker that gum is best, as it it will give you the nicotine hit (like cigarettes) rather than a steady dose all day. I'm a none smoker, and all I can suggest is keep trying, if you slip up, get back on the horse, don't give up, keep trying. Best of luck

thank you! Its not a matta of will i o wont i stop, its a matta of how.

I went to a chemist yestaday, and the lady told me not to botha quitting, as both the babies she had ae fine!!! i was shocked!

The woman at the chemist must have been only a sales assistant, not the pharmacist. I'm shocked she would say something like that though. I would actully consider calling up the owner/manager of that business. Not only has it been medically proven that smoking is harmful to the person smoking, passive smokers and unborn babies (I don't think I have missed anyone out) but that fact that you wanted to buy a product from that pahamacy and she was telling you you didn't need it.
    Goodluck with quitting, by DH has been smoke free for about 8 weeks, with only a couple of slip ups. He has been taking Zyban (which a person can only by prescribed every 2nd year) but not sure how it would affect an unborn baby. He was a very heavy smoker though. It was originally designed as an anti-depressant, so DH says he is very happy while he quits. He only has a weeks worth left, so will soon find out how he can cope alone.

I agree that is not on, making a complain would be your best bet, imagine how many other mothers she has told the same thing.

Chalalan Guest

Hi Blakesmummy,

I reckon go cold turkey. Seriously, its what I did and I reckon its the only way to quit smoking. Since I quit cold turkey, I haven't had even a single puff. YOU CAN DO IT! Its not about will-power and its not even about nicotine, its about changing the way you think about smoking. You already know its a yucky habit, you just have to brain wash yourself that its a disgusting habit and you're too smart for it. Don't even buy into the whole need for nicotine replacement, thats just fueling the addiction. Remember the 4 D's of quitting:
    DELAY
    DISTRACTION
    DRINK WATER
    ...actually I can't remember the last one.. ... lets make it up..
    DO SOMETHING ELSE

Once you've quit, buy yourself a nice perfume that you love (you can afford it now that you're a non-smoker) and revel in the fact that you smell wonderful! Chew chewing gum and mouth fresheners because for the first time in ages you are completely kissable and have lovely breath! Wear a t-shirt for 2 days running because it doesn't smell like an old pub!

Also if you want a recommendation for a book, try Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. You can smoke while you read it and at the end you have to quit, but by the end you will want to anyway. He used to smoke 60 a day and now is a millionaire quit guru.

I hope this doesn't come across as smug and that its really easy when you are struggling with it, I just want to support you and let you know that it is possible to be smoke free. I can't count how many times I tried to quit before this last attempt but it was only when I realised that I could never smoke again if I wanted to quit and stay quitted that I succeeded.

HTH and best of luck! PM if you want.

Great advice here and OMG at that lady at the chemist....I would definately complain.

I would like to second the Alan Carr books too - Ive read both admittedly wasn't pg at the time but I was a pack a day smoker for 10 years and have been smoke free for 2 years- not even a little puff in that time and I will NEVER smoke again.
    It can be tough (although after reading the book I found it the easiest and most liberating thing Ive done in my life!) but you can do it!! It sounds like you are determined to quit and that is the hardest part - getting to the point where you really want to do it.
    Good luck with quitting and your pregnancy! Let us know how you are going!

thank you all 4 the posts, it means a huge deal to me. I must admit i was a bit afaid to post asking 4 advice as this was a planned pg....

i will def go out and buy that book!!! in fact i am googling it now!

thank you thank you thank you! it has meant such a huge deal to me.

I applaud ur courage blakesmummy ,in asking .I too am trying to quit & i also was afraid to bring it up as i feel soooo guilty.
    I was told by midwives & my doctor that u can't use anything ,no patches ,no gum NOTHING!!.In fact it says on the packets not to use when pregnant .The books & maybe a self hypnosis cd may b of use to u.
    I smoke about 10 to 15 a day & i have been trying to cut down 1 a day .I'm down to 10 .Tomorrow i'll do 1 less or more if i can.Not ideal i know but it's what is working for me at the moment.
    All the very best of luck

I was a smoker, i smoked throughout my whole pregnancy with DS1. I had a perfectly healthy baby BUT now i am regretting it as he is not a huge eater and sometimes i think maybe its coz i smoked. I gave up 2-3 months after having him, and i did it like this:
    1. If you smoke 30 a day cut back to 20 within a week. That way you are still getting the "hit" and the hand to mouth action. I used to eat a carrot stick when i wanted a smoke.
    2. If you smoke inside get outside and have it!! That way you are going somewhere different so then your not as comfy while doing it. (that was hard for me)
    3. By week 2 cut down to 10-15 a day. (i only smoked 20 to start off with so it was a little easier for me)
    4. You will soon start to not need a smoke and just automatically have less in a day.
    5. over the next few weeks cut your intake down a smoke or two a day. I used to get the amount of smokes i wanted to aim for that day (say 3) and get them out and put them in a seperate packet. I would space them out. I would light up a smoke and have a few drags and put it out for next time.

Please note, this may or may not work for you. It did work for me, although this is a guide to help you with the outcome YOU want. I would adjust it to the way you want to do things.
    Goodluck with your decision on quitting, i can honestly say that is the best decision i have made for my health and you will be surprised at how strong willed you are to do it.

Blakesmummy - this place is pretty good like that isn't it, so supportive!
    Just thought I'd let you know that I spelled it wrong - ALLENCARR there is the site for you. (Mods fingers crossed this is ok!) and just to let you know I got my book at Kmart but any bookstore will have it.

When I quit for good I did it cold turkey. Instead of using patches etc I used glasses of water and chuppa-chups. Being able to tasete the water was a great reminder of why I wanted to quit and chuppa-chups satsisfied my need for something to keep my hands and mouth busy.
    That was long before I was pregnant. I tried the puffers and gum and so on and it never worked for me. The first 2 times I quit I started again about 6 months later but now I'm no longer tempted.
    I would say that patches are definately the lesser of the 2 evils because they don't have all the other yucky stuff that cigarettes do.
    You might find some useful info on the Quit website.
    http://www.quitnow.info.au/internet/...nt/quitters-lp

Good-luck with it. It's a decision that you'll never regret.

Hi, I would really really recommend Alan Carr.
    DH had been smoking for over 30 years, and was at a point smoking didnt do anything for him but was just a habit. He still couldnt bring himself to quit tho. So for his Chrissy present last year, (previous year) I signed him up for the 1/2 day workshop (not cheap at S400+) but it was worth every single cent.
    He came home that afternoon and said he's not an ex-smoker but a non-smoker.
    It's almost 1 year now and he hasnt had a single ciggy or had the urge to. Even when his mates at work smoke. It was one of the happiest days of my life. The workshop basically makes you understand why you smoke and changes your perspective. Simple as that. And a man who smoked for over 30 years just quit without any hesitation!
    All the best hun and here's to a H&H pregnancy!

Blakesmummy.....

I quit at 5 weeks. I wanted to earlier, especially since we were trying via IUI, so it was all planned... the stress of it plus the Clomid made it hard to quit and stay sane... I feel bad about not quitting earlier, but good about eventually quitting. My mum smoked through her 4 pregnancies, and doesn't see a problem with it, but I think... why take the risk? We worked so hard to get pregnant, Im not doing anything now that will risk it!

I agree, cold turkey is the way to go. I did it that way, and had some help from good old morning sickness. I physically couldn't smoke, and now can't stand being around anyone who does (poor Shel lol). Yuck, its making me gag just thinking about it. I don't have any cravings at all. Bubble must REALLY hate cigarettes (lets hope he remembers that at 16!).

Something my dr suggested is when morning sickness starts, and you are feeling REALLY queasy, on the verge of throwing up, light up a smoke. I think its called aversion therapy. Have a smoke every time you feel sick... eventually, smoking will make you feel sick. I don't know if it will work for you...

I have heard of Allen Carr too. Actually I forgot his name, so I'm glad it was here, I wanted to get it for Shel. What exactly is it? We probably couldn't afford the course, but I am interested in the book but sceptical... people have said they just stopped smoking... how does a book have that much of an effect on someone?

PS. Shel is cutting down by rationing out the smokes for the day, and then putting the rest away. And because smoke makes me feel sick she has to smoke outside (which has been a bugger for her thanks to the weather lol). These things seem to work for her. She used to smoke 20-25 a day, now she's down to less than 15 just by those two things alone.

Alisia - the book basically works you through the mental addiction I guess. You realise that the physical addiction is quite minimal ( similar to hunger pangs really) and it makes you realise that you can beat the mental addiction and break the habits like lighting up in the car etc. You quit cold turkey and it also talks about not substituting one addiciton for others - like food etc. It also makes you realise that quitting is a fabulous positve thing, and you come to the end of the book thinking - yippppeeeee Im FREE!!!! It worked for me and a number of people I know! If you are interested check out the link I posted earlier - I never went to workshops so Im not sure what they involve, and maybe you could borrow the book from the local library? Although its great to have it on hand again if you ever feel tempted! I have to say even after 10 years of smoking once I quit I never needed the book again. My DH smokes so you would think it would be tough being around him but if anything it strengthens my resolve and I can't believe now that I ever smoked!
    HtH! Sorry if I come across as preachy but I really think this is one of the best ways to quit cold turkey and at about $20 its a pretty good investment!!

i am off to kmat to get the book this AM!!!!

i got the book yestaday, and i am aleady hlaf way though it!!! i am stoked i aleady have a bit of a diffeent outlook on smoking but as he said in the book you shouldnt quit until the end of the book, so i am going to ead the last of the book today, so my post next time will be about how i HAVE QUIT!!!

Mumof2Girls Guest

When I was pregnant with my daughter in 2005 I was smoking 10 a day, cut down from a pack. Then I used patches during my pregnancy and it worked really well for me. I haven't smoked since. The patches really helped and I think I had an easier time of it because of the pregnancy hormones. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast