Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy and Smoking

Hi all,

I have just had another thought re this: my Mum was a heavy smoker back in the late 60's / early 70's when she had us.....chuffed on 30 high tar unfiltered a day.....I was a teeny 3lb premmie (may have had something to do with smoking?) but my younger brother was HUGE (I think around 11lb?).

No respitory issues or health issues for either of us as kids, apart from he had bad bad exzema (sp?)......maybe connected? Not sure.

I know my Mum now feels "guilty", but in those days in the middle of the country (in rural England) (no antinatal visits for her) she simply didn't know it was a problem..........

happyhappy Guest

Hi, sorry I haven't replied sooner, I only just read this topic again.
    I am ashamed and guilty to admit I do have a ciggie.
    I have tried hypnotherapy, audio tapes, cold turkey and even acupuncture.
    My main problem is I don't have anything to occupy myself with to help ignore the cravings. I am at home 24/7 as i cannot go anywhere. I don't have a license and the nearest town is a long walk from here. If I try to give up, I go nuts out here (just ask hubby).
    My mother smoked with all three of us kids, she doesn't regret it at all. You couldn't pay her to give up. None of us were affected by it though.
    Thankyou for being so honest everyone. I really do appreciate your comments. I understand those who are bothered by this, as I am bothered myself. But I also understand those who cannot give up.
    All the best with your pregnancies.

shescrafty96 Guest

Hello everyone!
    I am new here but thought I would add my 2 cents...
    I have been a smoker for approx 10 yrs and I did smoke with my first child- I switched brands to ultra lights and cut way down to about 2-3 cigs per day. Lucky for both of us she came out perfectly and has had no health problems. I am now 10 weeks pregnant and struggling to kick the habit. My husband and I both quit when I found out I was preggo ( Feb 2nd) and he quit cold turkey. That lasted about a week for him but I tried weaning myself off of them and that seemed to work better. I'm now having 1-2 cigs per day and I have my "stop date" planned for March 15th. I have a smoking counseler that has been helping out a lot and luckally she is an ex smoker so she actually knows what its like... So keep your fingers crossed for me! I think this time its really going to work!! [-o<

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to kick it, I am trying to smoke less to start off with. Every Monday DH and I both plan to quit, and we start off well, but usually have 1 by the end of the day. I am going to keep trying to quit, and I know that I will get there. I smoked for 5 months of my last pg then stopped, it took awhile bou I got there. I am 14 wks now so I am going to aim for the next couple of weeks so that I am not smoking by 4 mths.
    I think its easier giving birth than giving up.
    Cheers Michelle

Good Luck to all of you trying to give up. I know how hard it is. It will be one year for me at the end of this month (with a couple of slip ups on the way-drinking with girlfriends). Take oneday at a time and if you slip up don't kick yourself about it. It will take time and alot of will power.

Just wanted to poke my head in again, and say all of you have made me so proud I can't say enough how great it is that we can take this discuss this matter in a friendly non confrontational manner. Congratulations to all those who have been successful in quitting. Goodluck to all those quitting or trying to and Kelly, thank you for you honesty I am glad you were able to feel comfortable enough to share with us all. As I said I think its great that no one has "attacked" anyone, it just shows the maturity of you all.

Well done!

*hugs*
    Cailin

I just have to write in and agree with Cailin! Well done everyone!! I have to say as well that even though I "quit" the day I found out I was PG, I still crave them tremendously!! Today was one of the worst....I dreamt about smoking and could smell them when I woke up, then I went to the shops on my way home from antenatal appointment and stood next to someone so I could just smell the smoke & hopefully inhale a bit.... But I have come home & eaten a heap of chocolate and I feel much better now!

Good luck for those of you who are weaning off!! I am thinking of you!

Christy

Jaxellah Guest

Hi all its been a few weeks since i have been in i am now 14 weeks pregnant and morning sickness has slowly subsided.

I would just like to say that i have been smoking heavily for15 years and have tried quitting several times. I have 2 children already with another on the way.
    I smoked through both pregnancies as both in fact all 3 were surprises.
    Nothing wrong with my children at all though you do feel guilty doing it.
    I am still a smoker and smoking through this pregnancy.

I have cut down every time with each baby we dont smoke in the house at all. I was smoking 16 milligrams and about 28 a day i now smoke 2 milligrams and about 6 -8 a day.

It is very difficult to quit a habit that you have had for so long even when you know you are having a baby. I have spoken to my doctor several times about this and he says it will do more damage to quit during pregnancy than it would to continue.

I can understand both sides of the argument but please those people who have never had a smoke in your life i praise you for doing that but also please dont judge the people who DO smoke and have a hard time quitting because unless you have been in that situation before u just dont know.

Kooeyau Guest

I Initially quit smoking at 5 weeks as soon as i found out I was pregnant.
    My fiance and I and a few friends then went on Holiday to Vanuatu (holiday was planned well before i knew i was pregnant) being around 4 other people that smoked I gave into temtation and smoked a few cigarettes for the week I was overseas.
    Now i am back home and I stopped smoking again, My fiance smokes outside which is a big help because the smell makes me want to light up myself
    Anyway I just wanted to say that so far i have enjoyed reading all your forum posts and I think i am really going to enjoy being a member

Melinda Guest

I really have to second Cailin and Christy!!

It's so pleasing to see how everyone has addressed this issue and expressed their own beliefs whilst being totally appreciative of other people's beliefs and respectful of their decisions!!

Pietta Guest

I was smoking from age of 14 so for about 8 years on and off. When I got together with DH he smoked, so I took it up again. Then about a year ago, I went to a naturopath who said, "If you keep smoking your lungs will be rotted (cant remember exact wording) by 30 because you have weak lungs." Okay then I thought, I dont want to pass away coz I smoked and miss out on any possible grandchildren i may have, so I quit one week after, cold turkey.
    Now that I am preg, DH asks everyone to move away so i dont even get any downstream. When I am walking past ppl who are smoking I hold my breath so I dont inhale any. To me, (and this is only my opinion) being pregnant is the beginning of the time where you stop having your world centred around your needs and wants and you start doing everything for the miracle you have in you. I am also on a Polycystic Ovary Webiste where so many of the women cry themselves to sleep because they have been TTC for 5-10 years and due to the PCOS probably wont ever. I think about my friends there and think, How could I possibly be okay with myself knowing I am treating my unborn child, the collection of me and DH with no concern, when s/he is such a miracle that I am blessed to have. Due to this being my first maybe I am too harsh on everything.
    I am really proud of all the people trying to give up, because I know e=xactly how you feel, but maybe if you think of all the damage it is not only doing to you, but to bubs in short and long term, and if you focus on that, that might help you in quitting. It helped with me and it has been over 12 months.
    I hope that everyone who is trying to quit finds the strength, and I agree, i think it is great that such a delicate converstaion can be discussed without any attacks or issues.

Hi Girls,

I have set my giveup day as Monday the 22nd of March. I have been trying each week on each Monday to give up and it hasn't worked, but I am going to be 16 weeks on Saturday, and I have made up my mind that enough is enough. So wish me luck and strength, if DH keeps smoking it means it will be harder but I am determined to make it finish on the 22nd.

CHeer Michelle

WOW!! BIG willpower and strength dust your way Michelle!! It is so hard to do! I will be thinking of you Sat & Sun!!

Christy

Hi Girls,

So far so Good! Both DH and had our last xmoke Sunday night just gone and haven't had one since. I have really been itching today, I have working on the computer scanning and just wishing for a smoke. But I haven't done it so that's good. The first week is usually the hardest so lets hope it gets easier.
    Cheers Michelle

Well done Michelle! It is so hard to do! There is a new antismoking ad out which makes me want to smoke!! And I haven't had one in months!!
    Will Power dust to you!!

Christy

Melinda Guest

Well done Michelle! That's quite an achievement!!!

i had the weirdest dream last night about having a social smoke. It's really bizarre because I don't smoke (old social smoker but haven't smoked in ages). I didn't feel guilty at the time but when I woke up I felt so terrible for not being able to say no in my dream!
    how bizarre is that?

Michelle, congrats on abstaining. Hope you will preservere. Have you tried chupa chups ? I had a friend who totally quit on chupa chups lollies.

Hi there everyone,
    I haven't tried chuppa chups, I should though for those times when I wonder what to do with my hands. DH and I were arguing last night and I desperately wanted one, but there was none so I couldnt. LUCKY! I've given up before and don't remember it being this hard. Everytime DH goes outside I am checking him out to make sure he's not smoking. I sort of almost wish he was cause then I could have one. Addiction plays weird mind games. The point is I really do not want to smoke, and I don't want to go back to it when the baby is born, so it's just one day at a time.

See ya
    Michelle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast