Thread: Teeth, gums and pregnancy... Alan?

Default Teeth, gums and pregnancy... Alan?

I'm having a huge problem at the moment.

First of all, my wisdom teeth are coming through, it hurts even swallowing water, my gums at the back at cut, food gets stuck under them and I'm ready to rip them out myself with a pair of plyers.

Secondly, my gums bleed so much at the moment. I've never really had bleeding gums (maybe a teeny tiny bit if I was using a new toothbrush or something) so its all new. I know people say its normal, but how much is normal? It's too the point where I am brushing my teeth and (TMI!) when I spit its bright red. To me that seems excessive?

Lastly, my teeth are so sensitive! I can't eat chocolate without them hurting, it hurts right down my jaw. This happens with all my teeth, not just one or two. I can't even bite chocolate because my front teeth hurt. I can't even brush my teeth without pain as the toothpaste does the same thing as sugary sweet food.

I've always had such good teeth, I've never had one filling ever in my life (very proud ) but since being pregnant I am having nothing but trouble. I have the same brushing routine, haven't done much different (if anything, I've been doing better as I'm drinking only water and milk mostly, and hardly any soft drink or coffee or anything else).

Is all this a normal pregnancy thing? I try to talk to dr and mw about it, but am told tooth sensitivity and bleeding gums are normal during pregnancy. But its really starting to annoy me.

Blame the pg hormones LOL! No seriously, you can certainly attribute to the bleeding gums to pg gingivitis. The only thing you can really do is to brush gently with a soft brush 2-3 times a day, and floss daily. Go to the dentist for a clean, and see what they say. You might need another clean before bubs is born.

Mmm, the sensitivity is a hard one to treat. Try using sensodyne toothpaste, or the colgate sensitive one. Avoid extremes of temperatures (which you're probably doing anyway) like icecream and really hot drinks etc.

Lastly, you need to see a dentist about your wisdom teeth! They might be erupting trouble-free, but it's best to get them checked if they're giving you that much hassle. You don't want to develop an infection, and if you do get one it needs to be treated quickly with antibiotics.

Hope that all makes sense, I'm in a bit of a rush! Fire away if you have anymore questions....and ring and make that appointment!!!!!!!

I was just about to send Janie in here! lol

Janie: remember I pm'ed you about the same gingivitis prob and you told me to buy Savacol (i think thats the name of it?)

well it worked! and i have heaps left if you want it leasha? Its a mouthwash that kills all the germs and slows down the bleeding gums.

I was definitely spitting out bright red too!

Yeah D, Savacol is great. Glad it helped you!

Leasha, you can get it in blue or green, get the green, as it's stronger. Use it every day for a week or two, and then try to reduce the amount you use it, maybe a couple of times a week. Very important to keep up the brushing and flossing because gingivitis is caused by the gums reacting to plaque on the teeth. It's just that the gums are much more sensitive to the bacteria during pg.

Hi leasha
    Some great advice posted here. The soft toothbrush and mouthwash are a good idea. You could also try rinsing your mouth out with salt water 3-4 times a day. It does not taste too good but if you can put up with the taste it will help. Also I would reccomend a checkup with your dentist. There is a disease called peridontitis which causes your gums to swell and your teeth to become loose. It is not all that common but it would be worth getting it checked out.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

i have good teeth and one morning i woke up and a tooth had crumbled over night ... it was so weird , ( i was pg with ds) now this pg i take extra care , but i am the same with wisdom teeth and bleeding gums , sometimes my wisdom teeth hurt alot , it feels like im teething

Well the pain in my wisdom tooth got progressively worse overnight (had me up in tears as I couldn't sleep), woke up and my jaw throat and ear ached, so went to GP and am on amoxycillin now because my wisdom tooth is infected, and am waiting for the dental clinic to give me a call back today. OUCHIES!

Got an appointment on April 11 at the clinic at the hospital (yay for having a HCC!).
    Last edited by Indadhanu; March 18th, 2008 at 11:47 AM.

gosh i wish i had a hcc .. its going to cost me thousands to get 3 wisdom teeth out ... one is alredy out ( got it done i used to have a hcc)

I have been putting off going to the dentist because its just so expensive, and then my GP said that the dental clinic takes pregnant woman straight away, and that I would defiantely get in straight away with the infection... I was stoked with april though, I half expected it to be September or something!!! I knew someone who was on the waiting list for 4 years!!!!!!!!