Thread: Flu Shot

Default Flu Shot

Easy question. Can I have one? Should I have one? (flu shot)

I think you'd need to ask your doctor about this. I personally wouldn't have one, not that I know if they're safe or not, but I always get a case of flu after the shot and wouldn't want that to happen.

I would think it's probably not advisable to have one, but if you think you're at high risk of getting flu this winter (ie if you're a teacher or a nurse...) then talk to your doctor about which is the better option.

Mumof2Girls Guest

Definitely talk to a health professional.

I have read a lot of posts saying not to have the flu shot if pregnant though as I don't think they know the risks of long term effects.

I had a flu shot in my 2nd trimester and everything was fine! My Ob told me to get it done as too my gp!

But definately get some professional advice first!

good luck x

I was given the opportunity to have a flu shot when i was in my first trimester and it wasnt recommended... but ur in ur second so maybe its different? definetly ask a professional as each case is different too...my bub was ivf...so my dr didnt want to risk anything just in case.

I had the flu shot when PG last year as it was STRONGLY recommended by my GP and I also read about it at the time. It's particularly important if your 3rd trimester will be during the peak flu season, because your immune system can be quite impaired at that stage and you don't want to be going into labour with a severe case of the flu. Ask your dr about it.

Its funny how different everyones doctor is. Definately ask your GP and/or Obgyn/Midwife.

My GP told me that it was not recommended to have the flu shot (or any other shot) UNLESS it was deemed absolutely neccessary. I have asthma and am in a high-risk category. I have never had a flu shot before and I won't be having it this time around either but she did say I could consider it, being asthmatic.

I have had a flu shot every year for the past 8 years, since I work in a public Emergency Department. This year I plan to give it a miss. I'm lucky and the shots have never made me sick, some ppl do get a cold of sorts after getting the shot. I'm not going to take the risk.

My OB said I could have it before or after bubs arrives, but I'll wait until he is here before I have the jab.