Thread: Impossible to get some Sleep...HELP

Default Impossible to get some Sleep...HELP

Hi ladies,

I have been having no luck at night getting to sleep, I toss and turn and try pillow every which way possible, body pillow, belly wedge you name it. I try a bath, read, watch tv, massage, nothing works. I go for a walk during the day to maybe get more tired.

I am so uncomfortable!

I know I had this NO sleeping with my first pregnancy at 35 weeks but not this early. I weight less now then i did with my 1st pregnancy, I havent put on a kg. I think I slept 45min last night. I will go crazy!! If this keeps up!

What else can I do????

Is it your mind or body? If some part mind - try Bach Remedy Sleep Rescue, has helped me for middle of the night alertness

Good luck

You poor thing! Not sure what to suggest, I've had a bit of insomnia but not to the extent that you're suffering. I've got up and made myself some porridge and sat at the computer to read through posts on BellyBelly at 3 in the morning or played word games on Facebook for a couple of hours until I feel okay to go to bed. What else to try... Relaxing music? Late night radio on the ABC? A mug of Horlicks (a personal favourite for cold nights)? A bit of ?

I'd mention it to your GP/ob during your next visit. I can imagine you dreading the next 20 weeks if you've got insomnia this bad now. Hope you get some help.

I feel for you, i can't say any of this will work for you but if i was you i'd prob try anything. A warm glass of milk before bed (thats how we get those precious little ones to sleep, hehe) and maybe a book, i get really relaxed when im reading, mind you haven't read a book in 4 years until now, but it relaxes me and makes me a lil sleepy. There are also natural oils you can burn like lavender etc that are meant to help you sleep.

Good luck
    xoxoxox

Aromatherapy

All stress-related conditions, including insomnia, respond well to aromatherapy.

How to use essential oils

For skin application the essential oil must be diluted in a vegetable carrier oil such as cold-pressed sunflower oil or sweet almond oil. Use 7 -10 drops of essential oil to 25ml (five teaspoons) of carrier oil for adults, 3-5 drops for children under seven and 1-3 drops for children under the age of three. Do not use essential oils on newborn babies.

Any oil can be used in the bath. Add 5-10 drops for adults, 3-5 drops for children over two, and only one drop of a very gentle oil such as chamomile or lavender for younger children.
    Inhalation is also effective. Put one or two drops of a relaxing oil onto a handkerchief and tuck it inside your pillow to help you sleep.

A combination of essential oils may be used.

Essential Oils for Sleep

A relaxing bath with essential oils of Roman camomile and geranium will help a person to unwind before sleep. A glass of camomile tea will complete the process.

A relaxant effect may be provided by oils of camomile, lavender, neroli, rose, and marjoram. Add a few drops to your bathwater or sprinkle a few drops on a handkerchief and inhale.

The following essential oils may be useful for management of sleep.

Benzoin (Styrax benzoin)

Benzoin is sedative, warming, and relaxing.

It is useful for: Sleeplessness caused by worry, emotional exhaustion, tension, bronchitis, and coughs.

Caution: Some people may be sensitive to this oil.

German and Roman chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla and Chamaemele nobile)

Chamomile calms nerves and stomach, induces sleep, and is especially good for children.

Useful for: Insomnia, anxiety.

Caution: Can cause dermatitis in some people.

Jasmine (Jasminum officinalis)

Jasmine is relaxing and soothing, antidepressant, sedative, aphrodisiac, and expectorant. It is non-toxic, and non-irritant.

Useful for: Insomnia, depression, apathy, nervous exhaustion, stress, catarrh, breathing difficulties.

Lavender (Lavendula officinalis)
    (personal fav )

Lavender is calming, soothing to nerves and digestion, anti-depressant, pain-relieving, and lowers blood pressure. It is non-toxic, and non-irritant.

Lavender is useful for: Insomnia, tension, depression, headache, catarrh, stomach cramps, shock, earache.

Melissa (Lemon balm, Melissa officinalis)

Melissa is relaxing and uplifting, lowers blood pressure, and helps digestion, menstruation, and nervous system.

Melissa is useful for: Insomnia, nervous tension, depression, high blood pressure, indigestion, coughs, colds, shock, anxiety.

Caution: Use small amounts only as skin irritation is possible.

Neroli (Citrus aurantium amara)

Neroli is very relaxing, non-toxic, and non-irritant.

It is useful for: Insomnia caused by anxiety, depression, irritability, panic, shock.

Rose (Rosa damascena)

Rose is relaxing and soothing. It is an aphrodisiac, nervous and digestive tonic, and helps menstruation. Rose is non-toxic, and non-irritant.

Rose is useful for the treatment of: Insomnia, nervous tension, depression, headaches, painful periods, nausea, asthma, Loss of sex drive.

Sandalwood (santalum album)

Sandalwood is relaxing, aphrodisiac and antidepressant, expectorant, calms digestion. It is non-toxic, and non-irritant.

Useful for: Insomnia, depression, nervous tension, catarrh, colic.

Sweet marjoram (Origanum marjarana)

Sweet marjoram is warming and comforting. It is sedative, aids digestion and nervous functions and is non-toxic and non-irritant.

Sweet marjoram is useful for the treatment of: Insomnia, anxiety, colds, catarrh, intestinal spasms, muscular and joint pain, headaches.

Ylang ylang (Cananga odorata genuine)

Ylang ylang is relaxing, aphrodisiac, antidepressant, tones the nervous system, and lowers blood pressure. It is non-toxic, and non-irritant.

Ylang ylang is useful for the treatment of: Insomnia, depression, stress, nervous tension, excitability.

Source
    IF YOU INTEND TO USE ANY OF THE ABOVE OILS, PLEASE MAKE SURE THEY ARE OK TO USE WHILE PREGNANT/BREAST FEEDING

Well,it can be that very likely you did something that you shouldn't have done before bed time. No need to feel guilty, there are several things that done before bedtime can heavily conflict with your sleep. A few examples? You may surprised at what you read!

Snack= Less

Avoid snacks before you snooze. Sugary snacks will very likely raise your blood sugar and this will give you a boost of energy making you stay awake. Same appears to happen with snacks containing fiber.

Hyperac-TV-ity

You have a television in your room or you watched TV just before deciding to go to sleep. Television images provide mental stimulation which keeps your brain active. An active brain is not the right element in order to fall into a passive state such as sleep.

REM-ove exercise

You exercised. Even though many people think that exercising before bed will cause the body to tire and therefore, cause sleepiness, the contrary may happen.

The body may feel overstimulated and become reluctant to relax. It is usually wise to avoid exercising within 3 hours of your selected bed time.

The Pain in the cigarette butt

You smoked. Nicotine is a stimulant, you do not need to guess why it will not help you sleep. Try to avoid smoking within 6 hours of your selected bed time.

Joe versus Sandman

You drank caffeine. Does not need to be coffee, it may include any cola drinks or other stimulant drinks. Keep coffee only for mornings or afternoons when you need to stay awake. Coffee at dinner time is useless as you get closer to snooze time. THIS ALSO INCLUDES TEA!

Siesta? no Fiesta

You napped during the day. Your day time nap has shortened your need of sleep hours and you can feel it now in the night. Your body clock may be thrown off and this will affect your sleeping patterns.

Heavy tummy-light sleep

You ate a large meal. Aunt Betty's lasagna is not the best recipe for a good night's sleep. Your body is busy digesting and taking care of the workload and this may affect your sleep and also you may have to deal with indigestion as well.

Light tummy-light sleep

You didn't eat at all. Maybe it is time to call Aunt Betty back. An empty stomach may keep you awake, a light snack will help, perhaps some warm milk will be a good choice.

No light, sleep tight!

You left the curtains open. Light from artificial sources outside may disrupt your sleep and keep you awake. You need a nice quiet and dark room to fall asleep.

State of alarm

You stared at the alarm clock. Visually staring at the time will put you into a worried mood making you unable to relax. No relax no sleep. Try to close your eyes and imagine peaceful mountain settings and streams, see yourself walking in these places, this will prepare you to be introduced into a dream like state.

Source
    (sorry about the massive post)

good luck
    Last edited by Misskylie; June 7th, 2008 at 01:30 PM.

Hi,

Just thought that I would add that I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't use lavendar as it brings on labour. But any other aromatherapy will be okay if you can handle the smell. Maybe try a heat pack on your upper back (not too hot) and see if that relaxes you, I know that it works for me.

Hope you find something that helps you out real soon.

Hi ladies.. thanks for your help... sadly doc tried me on panadine forte... and well slept well.... and have been since then!!!

Whatever works!!!! i guess and its totally fine for baby!

Hi

I am really surprised your doctor gave you this drug for insomnia?? I know it makes you drowsy - but I wouldn't have thought is safe throughout - is it Cat A? I am not sure - did doctor say for occasional use only??

Yup Catagory A... not a problem.. I am not concerned, I have a very brilliant doc.. very on to things and a midwife sister.. so made sure all was fine!

Wow I'm very surprised. Panadeine Forte contains quite a bit of Codeine. I never would have guessed you could take it during pregnancy, but apparently you can...

What did your doctor say about long term use? From what I understand about taking codeine, it can be addictive.

I used to take codeine for period pain until I realised it was making me the worst driver ever.

I'd ease up on the panadeine forte as soon as you can or you could end up very constipated whilst pregnant. Later on constipation is a challenge for lots of us (not me thank goodness) and adding codeine to the mix would only make it worse.

I've been having some BH and very uncomfortable sleeps but I've found if I really can't sleep I remove the body pillow from in between myself and DF & get some skin to skin contact - it works every time for me. Not talking about action here, just my skin on his skin (any part of the body) seems to put some kind of relaxant through my body and off I go.