Thread: Low lying placenta anything special I need to do?

Default Low lying placenta anything special I need to do?

Hi everyone, another ? from me.
    At my scan they told me my placenta was low lying but later it may move to a better position. I don't see my OB for another 2 weeks to ask what I need to do and wondered if I need to take extra care or do anything special in the meantime.
    I wondered if I am at higher risk of bleeding or anything like that or can life go on as normal? Thanks Pam.

Hi Pam,

I had a low lying placenta when I was PG with DD (got told at my 19 week scan) and when I seen my OB next he didnt say much. Not really anything you can do extra then you already would be doing.

Did they tell you that you will need a scan about 34-36 weeks?? If they didnt im sure your OB will tell you, its so they can see if its moved up or not cause if it hasnt then you will need a c-section.

Luckily for me mine moved up.

I had a low lying placenta with son #1. I just had to be a little careful. Sex caused bleeding till it moved up. Just ask your doc exactly how low it is. You should be fine honey!!!

Thanks for the replies, no they did'nt say how low it was!!!! I have had bleeding from day dot to around 12 weeks sub chronic hem so wondered if having the placenta low would make it even more fragile, I had weeks of bed rest and definately no sex, so don't have to worry about that one?????!!!!!!
    Strange thing is at the early scans they told me my placenta was in a good position as far as the tearing away from the uterine wall was concerned???? So it must move around a bit, as you grow. A c-section was always on the cards for me as well, I wanted to try for a VBAC again, but have learnt sometimes things are out of your control and as long as you get a healthy baby at the end the best and safest way of getting them there wins......

Hi Pam,

I was told the same with my third pregnancy....and I worried.....but at the next scan, the placenta was nice and high.....no probs. My OB didn't mention anything to me about it - so it obviously wasn't much to worry about.

Cheers!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.