Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping on my back

Default Sleeping on my back

Hi All,

I am 23 weeks pregnant and my belly is getting rather big. I keep trying to sleep on my side because I heard that sleeping on your back is not good for your baby.

Everytime i sleep on my side, i unconsciously wake up sleepign on my back! I think because that is the most comfortable position for me.

i have tried putting a pillow at my back when i sleep on the side so I cant roll on my back, BUT i always end up on my back!

What else can I do?

Thanks,
    Mouy

Mouy, short of putting more pillows there, there probably isn't a lot you can do. If you wake up on your back don't panic, just roll yourself over. I woke up on my back a few times also and no harm was done, although I did have a low blood pressure attack while on my back during an ob check up once. As long as you try not to be on your back it should be ok.

Mouy, I always sleep on my back and when I was pg it was very hard not to. I used to always wake up on my back even when I was almost ready to have my DD. It didn't do me or my DD any harm. It is supposed to be not good for you, but if it happens, it happens, don't stress. As mantaray said just roll over again!

I think if your body rolls you that way, you'll be fine - As the others have already said, just roll back onto your side.

As long as you don't start off that way, I'm sure you'll be just fine!

I woke up on my back nearly every night up til about 35 weeks, after that if i slept on my back my legs would lose blood and it hurt so i stayed on my side. I agree with the others, your body knows whats best for you and bub, just relax, and enjoy your sleep while you can get it!

~Belinda~ Guest

I have heard it's rather bad for you sleeping on your back when preggers. My Ob tells me that it's your left side which is safest but seriously, I roll from left to right all the time!

I have tried to sleep on my side from about 20 weeks onwards. When I was smaller, I found that I needed to use the body pillow between my legs & under my belly to keep me from rolling over. Now that I'm bigger, I don't just roll onto my back - I actually have to wake up to roll over . It is better for both you & baby to be on your side - the more time you spend lying on your back, the more you are encouraging bubs into a posterior position (yuck!).

I was told by a number of nurses at my check-ups that supposely when you sleep on your back you can stop the blood flow from a large vain located on your back to your baby.

KidsHealth > Parents > Pregnancy & Newborns > Pregnancy & Childbirth > Sleeping During Pregnancy

Early in your pregnancy, try to get into the habit of sleeping on your side. Lying on your side with your knees bent is likely to be the most comfortable position as your pregnancy progresses. It also makes your heart's job easier because it keeps the baby's weight from applying pressure to the large vein (called the inferior vena cava) that carries blood back to the heart from your feet and legs.

Some doctors specifically recommend that pregnant women sleep on the left side. Because your liver is on the right side of your abdomen, lying on your left side helps keep the uterus off that large organ. Sleeping on the left side also improves circulation to the heart and allows for the best blood flow to the fetus, uterus, and kidneys. Ask what your doctor recommends — in most cases, lying on either side should do the trick and help take some pressure off your back.

But don't drive yourself crazy worrying that you might roll over onto your back during the night. Shifting positions is a natural part of sleeping that you can't control. Most likely, during the third trimester of your pregnancy, your body won't shift into the back-sleeping position anyway because it will be too uncomfortable.

If you do shift onto your back and the baby's weight presses on your inferior vena cava, the discomfort will probably wake you up. See what your doctor recommends about this; he or she may suggest that you use a pillow to keep yourself propped up on one side.
    I used to sleep on my side with a pillow under my belly & I used to have a pillow behinnd my back so if I did try and roll on my back at night I would only get in a half side/half back position IYKWIM

Now that I'm bigger, I don't just roll onto my back - I actually have to wake up to roll over
    Yep pretty much the same here, id sit right up to roll over..used to drive DH crazy!
    Last edited by Zee; December 3rd, 2007 at 09:38 PM.

i thought it was becasue the weight of the baby puts pressure on your main artery and that can cause your blood pressure to drop too low... does it really reduce blood to baby? sounds extreme.

it keeps the baby's weight from applying pressure to the large vein (called the inferior vena cava) that carries blood back to the heart from your feet and legs.
    Well I guess it would make your blood pressure drop low.. most of the time it would be so uncomfortable that you would wake yourself up anyway.

Thank you guys!

Yup, i read and heard sleeping our back causes less blood flow. My ob said its okay now but when i get bigger i shouldnt sleep on my back.

I got paranoid because my natural position is sleeping on my back.

Thank you all for reassuring me!

Cheers!

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem!
    I have such a hard time sleeping on my side, and I was really starting to stress about it! I keep waking up on my back.

LisyLee - Wait til you get bigger, it gets much easier to stay on your side!

Yep i agree, the sec you flip onto your back you wake,lol

A physio visited our antenatal classes for a backcare session & she said lying on your back is at its most dangerous when you are on a hard, flat surface. Something like a bed is generally soft enough to be ok, but most women probably won't feel comfortable on their back the bigger they get.

I am normally a back sleeper but when pg try to sleep on my side. I have a pillow that helps me to stay on my side. However my ob told me that sleeping on my back will effect me before it effects bubs. You only need to be supported slightly under your butt and back so you are not flat on your back.

~Belinda~ Guest

It's so funny, I wake up sometimes on my back and realise I have to be on my side (preferably left is what my Ob said). I freak out and roll over! I get so uncomfy now during the night now I am getting closer to my due date!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast