Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 week late, no OB...

Default 1 week late, no OB...

I have just had the worst night of my life, and its taken me 3 hours to stop crying uncontrollably.

My Dr, who I've been seeing throughout my pg is on leave (bereavement), and since I'm at 41 weeks, the midwives I'm seeing sent me to see the OB who's filling in for him.

So I go for my appt.

First, he does a stretch & sweep without asking me or any prior warning.

Then he says he's booking me in to be induced tomorrow, which when I questioned it he tells me I'm going to kill my baby cos I'm past 41 weeks.

The he goes on to say 'I'm not into any of that airy fairy [email protected]#$t! You'll deliver on the bed, on your back. I'm not a vet.'

So I said I was planning an active birth, (which is what my Dr prefers)
    and he says I'll have to see someone else and good luck getting in to see anyone else at this stage of the game.

So now I have no obstetrician, no doctor and I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm seriously thinkg about fronting up tomorrow at the Royal Womens to see if I can have my baby there instead of the hospital I'm booked in at - can they turn you away if its a public hospital?

mysterygirl Guest

oh Rach- how terrible - that is the last thing that you need right now - honey i hope it all works out soona nd you get to have your active birth...

Rachel hope you are able to sort something out.

Good luck with y our active labour.

Oh no Rachel, I hope things get sorted out quicksmart.

snowflake Guest

I wouldn't think so. Is he right?? That is terrible. I wish I could help you out here, but unfortunately I don't have the knowledge.

Do you feel any better after having slept on it? Doubt it. Surely it can't hurt to ring and find out from the Women's and explain your position, take it from there?
    Maybe ring or go into your own hospital (then they can't fob you off) and have them organise something alternative? I take it you are private and are paying top dollar

I'm sorry I am unable to assist you further - I really hope you get this sorted asap - you shouldn't have to worry about all this at 41weeks!!!

Good Luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your birth announcement - you will be fine, it WILL work out

OMG Rachael! What a horrible dr!! I'd be ringing anyone and everyone to see if they could take you, whether its your hospital or another OB or anything!

Can you talk to the midwives about it? I hope you can get in soon and have your baby your way.

Thinking of you. *hugs*

Melinda Guest

That is absolutely disgusting. I can't believe someone would say that to you!!!

This man needs to be complained about - how incredibly awful. I can only imagine how upset you must be..........

OMG Rach what an A-hole?

I'd front up and explain the situation, cry if you can, SYMPATHY, though after the way you've been treated Im sure you wouldn't need to pretend, they won't turn you away hun, not at all. That DR shouldn't be aloud to practise with a bedside manner like that?

Either that or you could demand another DR, or OB, tell how rude and most of all uncomfortable he makes you.

Good luck hun, oh Id like to punch him 4 you. :evil:

That is disgusting behaviour from him! I'm not sure, but I'd say if you go to the public hospital they would have to help you out. Thinking of you, just try and relax if you can, you will meet your bubba very soon.

Rachel, that is so awful for you. That OB is a vile man, imagine doing this to you now at the last minute, as if you need the stress. I am thinking of you and I hope things work out and you get the help you need and deserve.

Oh No, Rachel, what a horrible thing to happen..

Don't worry the public hosptial WILL help you - you have no issues there. Just go to casualty, they'll get the O&G Reg to see you, and take it from there. Just explain to them what has happened to you, and I am sure they will be as taken aback by that behaviour as we all are.

Best of luck, and I hope bubby makes their appearance very soon.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

OMG I can't believe that he said that to you, argh I just want to slap him. If you are worried about just fronting up to the hospital maybe you could ring them now and explain the whole situation to them and see what they say. But I doubt that they would turn you away anyway.

And don't worry about what he said he's just an a$$hole like the other girls said. And maybe after buba has arrived and your other Ob is back you can ring or write him a letter about the other ob's behaviour because that is just unacceptable.

TELL HIM TO GET STUFFED.

There are plenty of alternatives, PM Kelly, she should have some ideas too.

It is not too late, this is STILL in your hands.

WHAT AN *******!

Have a lovely birth my dear, this is only a small spanner in the works, but what we have been fighting for for too long.

He is unbelieveable!!! How dare he say stuff like that. When you have bubs I would complain to the medical board. Try not to worry and concentrate on delivering a healthy baby. I would think that they can't turn you away, what are they going to do? Let you deliver in the car park, I don't think so.

Good luck Rachel, I hope you sort things out.

Custardtart Guest

I agree with the other girls - how DARE he talk to you like that?
    It is not his decision as to how and when you should give birth - it is NEVER his decision, and he has no right to determine what position you should be in for HIS convenience!

When you have had the baby and feel up to it, DO file a complaint - this man should not be practicing with an attitude like that.

Kerrie

Blue Sky Guest

Rachel - So sorry you had to endure that! I hope you have something sorted out now and that the birth goes to plan and is stress free!!

I recommend that you complain to the Health Services Commissioner about him. They have a website - I can PM you the link if you like. You can ring them and they will listen to your complaint and advise what actions they can take against him. I am absolutely appalled by the way he spoke to you and doing a procedure/test (sorry, am not sure what the stretch & sweep is) without your consent is just not on.

H

Thanks to everyone for all of your support, I'm only just getting time to update this now. Much more relaxed now too.

I called the hospital (I'm going to a public hospital) this morning after spending most of the night unable to relax enough to get any sleep, and spoke to one of the midwives.

She told me not to worry about it, asked about the kind of birth I wanted & osaid she'd organise it, and called me back within 20 minutes to let me know she's arranged another OB for me to see instead.

It means being induced earlier than I would have liked (although I'm starting to notice a lot more, and more noticable BH today), but at least he's supportive of the overall birth I'd like ideally.

The midwife said if all goes well after they put the gel on, or I go into labour naturally beforehand, that I probably won't see him at all unless theres a need for forceps or other intervention. Fingers crossed - I know this is more likely after an induction, but at least he's respectful of/open to the kind of birth I want.

That's good to hear they found you an OB willing to let you do your own thing.

I would be reporting that other OB to someone as that is just plain rudeness!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast