Thread: 3rd Stage Labour Advice

Default 3rd Stage Labour Advice

Hi everybody!
    Was just looking at pulling a Birth Plan together and came across a question regarding the 3rd stage of labour and am now wondering whether to go with assisted or 'au-naturale'! What are your experiences?
    Sara F

I wanted au-naturale but as I had the syntocin they wouldn't let me.

When you write your plan, remember to be flexible, and go where you have to for your safety and the baby - you can always start with less intervention and then evaluate - get your partner / support person to stick up for you.

Am definitely very flexible and will do whatever is best for bub.....just like to have a plan to start with and know a bit about the options!

I put down that I'd like to have a managed third stage, which turned out to be very handy as I needed a looooot of stitches and the longer it took for the placenta to come out, the longer the delay for my stitches and the pain killers to stop it hurting.

The only thing I strongly enforced was that the cord had stopped pulsating before it was clamped and anything was injected to get the placenta out.

What are the benefits of waiting until the cord stops pulsating prior to clamping?

From my reading, I believe it's to ensure the baby gets the last of the iron rich blood that's in the cord. Someone with more medical knowledge might be able to help though. I just remember reading that it was beneficial to the baby to allow it stop pulsating before cutting.

*Edit* Oooh here ya go: Cord Blood - Why Delaying Cord Clamping Benefits Your Baby

Sara, you can plan to have the placenta expel naturally and if it doesn't then use the oxytocin (?). Placentas always expel within half an hour unless there is a major problem. If the Ob/dr/midwife sees that it hasn't happened, they can just give you a quick needle and away you go. Needles are routinely given in some places as it is time effective and convenient for the hospital and staff as they have to move on to the next patient. If you can wait, I would personally recommend that you do so and go through unassisted. I figure the less drugs you have the better your recovery.

I heard that having the injection reduces the risk of post partum bleeding after expelling the placenta. I only bled for a week after having James and I was given the injection prior to expelling the placenta.

I believe the injection helps the immediate bleeding by aiding the body to clot/close where it separates. I had the injection, bled heavily for 2 - 3 weeks and still have to wear a liner during the day at 5.5 weeks.

Eeeeuwww, you poor thing Haydies...I must've been plain lucky! I've heard the same thing from a lady I work with...she bled for about 6 weeks.

Hey Sara

from a purely academic view point

a managed 3rd stage...where you have the syntocinon injection in your upper thigh, with the delivery of the baby...will result in the completion of the 3rd stage withing 5-15minutes. Most hospitals do prefer you have a managed 3rd stage, as it reduces the risk of PPH...of course if you have no predisposing risk factors for PPH (such as twins, previous PPH, bleeding during pregnancy, abnormal placental placement, blood disorders etc) you do not have to have the injection...you must give consent

a physiological 3rd stage...where the uterus contracts from the body's own level of oxytocin...will result in a 3rd stage lasting up to about an hour. This process can be naturally encouraged by simply putting your baby to the breast (which stimulates the release of oxytocin)

hope this helps

xx yogababy

I had read up on this and decided I didn't want the injection and wanted the placenta to be delivered naturally - but when it came down to it, I couldn't care less. I had my baby in my arms and I just wanted to get the 3rd stage over with so that I could get up on the bed and get more comfy and snuggle my baby. So I agreed to the injection.
    There are advantages and disadvantages to both options. You can google some great articles that will help you make your decision.

You know.......... they stuck the injection so fast in to my leg I barely remember it happening.... just like everything with my birth. (I'm convinced I started labour in the second stage).

The third stage was the worst for me. Sitting there while the doctor did the stitches.... didn't enjoy that much. But the whole labour/birth thing was so fast, the stitches were the longest part. Just sucked on the gas. I was thinking "just do the bloody stitches.... what's taking so long????" I only just remember the placenta coming out. After giving birth to a baby the placenta was a bit of an after thought.

I just remember my husband (holding my newborn while I'm lying there is a very compromising position, not looking my best from either end) and the doctor discussing the intracacies of the placenta while the doctor checked it over.

I'm like "HELLOOOOO, over heeeeere!!" Oh what funny vision. I've never had a normal life. I think I'm living in a comedy............even my birth story is funny.

Haydies the article that you linked to says that if you plan to have the syntometrine injection you cannot delay cord clamping.
    Surely the injection can wait until after the cord is clamped. isn't it only a couple of minutes?????

Anyone....?!?

It can wait. I had the injection and made sure they waited until after the cord had stopped pulsating.

Thank you

Haydies, the MW at the hossie told me that they give the injection with the birthing of the baby's shoulder so the clamping has to be done straight away...? What you did sounds like the perfect option... why would they not always do that??