Thread: Dizziness?

Question Dizziness?

Is it always a sign of low BP or could it be something else? I have my 30wk appointment tomorrow so will check with the Dr, but I'm finding that I am getting dizzy quite a bit in the last few days. It's not even consistent, most times it's when I stand up, but at others (like just now) I get it when I'm sitting down too.

Hi Sarah,

Low BP is usually why you would be getting dizzy, especially if it occurs when you go from sitting/lying to standing (called postural hypotension), however inner ear infections can also make you dizzy.

there are possibly other reasons that are pg related that i am unaware of, but these are the two main ones that spring to my mind as a nurse (but not a midwife)

Good thing that you have an appoint tomorrow as you can ask then, but most likly pg hormones relaxing and vasodilating the vessels causing lower BP.

HTH

Hey Sarah - sorry to hear you are feeling a bit blah. I had dizziness just like you explained with my first pregnancy and it was always when my BP was a bit low. I never had a really really low BP but obviously it was low enough to make me dizzy.

Seems like it is good timing for you to be visiting your Dr so have it checked out.

Whenever I felt dizzy or just a bit blah I would go to my local chemist who would do a quick BP test and it would always put my mind at rest and let me now what my BP was sitting at and if I was worried I would then call my ob who reassured me that things were OK.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Take care
    Jem

Enchanted Guest

OMG I can't believe you are 30 weeks already! That seems to have flown!

I used to get dizzy a fair bit and my BP was always fine but I found that it happened on days when I hadn't drank or eaten enough.

Funny you should mention this, I was just sitting on the lounge, and all of a sudden got extremely dizzy, where the room went around in circles, and I almost fainted.
    I'll be interested to hear what your dr says. I've always suffered low bp, it's even worse in pregnancy, but not usually while I'm sitting down.

hmm, i would put it down to low BP too. But what also came to mind was your blood sugar level could be down too. Anyway, best to check with the doc like you are doing. Goodluck, i hope it is nothing serious.

The reason i asked if it could be something else was that last time my BP was ever so slightly elevated from normal, so low BP probably isn't the case. Hmmmm. Will see this afternoon & let you guys know.

mrs baj Guest

Not sure if you'll get this before your dc appt but thought I'd say that it could also be from low iron levels or dehydration. They are the two main reasons that I get little dizzy spells (though thankfully my irons fine ttr). But if it is low bp then I spose it could definately be worse coz that in itself should be fine you'll just have to be careful not to faint

My appointment had to be cancelled as my Dr was called out to an emergency, work tomorrow so it's now on Monday. Just going to take it easy over the next few days & see how I go.

Mrs Baj I do have low iron, so it could be that too...