Thread: Lifting heavy stuff

Default Lifting heavy stuff

Hi All,

Hope everyone had a great holiday!!!

I am currently 27 weeks and 6 days pregnant. I tend to lift heavy things such as when i go shopping, bowling balls etc.

Just wondering what effects it has on the baby and does it cause baby any harm and what is a reasonable weight we can lift?

Thanks all in advanced!

Hi Phoenixml,

I believe lifting heavy weights doesn't effect the baby, but rather your body. Because of all the relaxin hormones produced by a pregnant womans body, your joints become more supple, and in some people, weak. By lifting heavy weights (often incorrectly due to your tummy being in the way) you are placing a strain on your body that it may not be able to cope with. This can result in lose joints, cracking joints, and even muscular and ligament tears.

As your tummy grows, your abdominal muscles also lengthen and seperate, and lifting heavy weights can escalate this.

I would suggest you avoid lifting anything heavier then the baby. My physio even told me not to push the shopping trolley due to the stress it places on your joints.

It's not long to go now, be sure to look after yourself!

I think like Farmgirl said that the concern is more form mum than bub at this stage, early in pregnancy it can be a problem, but at this stage I think it's more about the relaxin in your joints. Think about it this way though... If you have another young child, you'd be picking him/her up so your body has to be able to deal with an amount of weight. My son was weighed on Wednesday at 15kg and I still pick him up most days, it's never for long, mostly to put him in his car seat etc and my Dr has no issues with me doing it.

Farmgirl's right I reckon - with all that relaxin in your body, the risk is that you'll injure yourself.

You're much more likely to pull a tummy muscle - I did in early pregnancy this time (my relaxin got a bit excited, I've been very loose this pregnancy!) just by lifting a wet washing basket! And while it sounds like nothing, every time I sneeze, yawn or breathe too deeply I get a twinge. And the muscles struggle to repair themselves, since they're being stretched. Totally not worth it.

Some people say don't lift hardly anything, for me, who usually ignores those things cos I'm 'tough' - I'd say don't try to be tough, be very sensible. Keep a check on yourself, and if it's something that requires your tummy muscles, perhaps give it a miss. I've learned to lift my toddler using my arms and legs, but to be honest, even they don't support me like they used to.

Basically the moral of my rambly story is - if you can get someone else to lift it for you - then do that! (and don't feel like you're being precious - you'll be much more precious with a pulled muscle!)
    Otherwise, just be cautious and sensible, be aware that your joints will give out on you MUCH more easily these days.

Hi,

Thought i would throw my two cents in (but i think that they are actually worth it as i am a Manual Handling Coordinator)

Other than what the other girls have mentioned, you need to be aware of the fact that your centre of gravity has also changed now and this means that doing tasks in the usual fashion will place stress and strain on areas that it should not - or never use to.
    * Pulling things should be avoided - try pushing instead
    * Lifting weight above shoulder height should also be avoided.
    * If you are lifting something make sure that your stance is wider than usual to make up for the change in COG
    * Try to avoid arkward positions
    * Exert force as close to your body as possible (ie do not hold the items that you are carrying away from you

Think about what you are doing - no body will think that you are weak for not doing something. do you really need to move it? Can it be done another way?

As the others have said - the health of you and your bubs is w2ay more important than any loss of face or pride that u may suffer from asking for someone else to do it.

Listen to your body - if it is difficult - dont do it!

Hope this helps

Thanks guys!!

Sometimes it feels like I can just lift it without needing help. But I better start thinking twice about what I am lifting.

Thanks all!!