Thread: Low Lying Placenta

Unhappy Low Lying Placenta

At my 18 week scan it was noted that my placenta was low lying and that I would need to have another scan at 32 weeks to check the position again. Well, I had that scan this morning and it is still borderline low

I'm 32 weeks today and the doc at the ultrasound suggested that there is still time for it to move a bit more and that unless I'm booked in to have a c-section for other reasons (I'm not), then I should have another scan at 37 weeks to see if it's moved up some more.

What are the chances of my placenta moving (or more specifically my uterus stretching) in the next 5 weeks? It's currently just under 2cm (~1.88cm) away from the internal OS.

Will I be allowed to go into labour naturally and see what happens?

At what point do they say no you must have a c-section? My placenta is not covering my cervix even partially but I guess with dilation in labour that could change.

Everything else is going well, almost textbook. I really want to avoid a
    caesarean.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I have a client at the moment going through this (cant you tell LOL) but she has a low placenta 6-7mm from the os! So you have a better chance!!!

Placenta Praevia and Low-Lying Placenta: UK Midwifery Archives

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...acenta-praevia

http://www.jkeates.freeserve.co.uk/Placenta.pdf (pages 9-10)

Attachment and Implantation

http://egret.psychol.cam.ac.uk/physi...physiology.pdf

Also from the web:

Grade 1 (minor) is when the placenta is mainly in the upper part of the uterus, but some of it extends into the lower part. If you have a grade 1 or 2 Placenta Praevia, a vaginal delivery may sometimes be possible. However, with grades 3 and 4, a Caesarean section is necessary. The Caesarean section will be planned for a time when the baby is mature, usually at about 38 weeks, hopefully before you go into labour.

Figure 1. Low lying placenta, Grade 1.

The only certain way to prevent this inevitable haemorrhage in labour is by antenatal diagnosis and elective delivery by Caesarean section. However, minor grades of placenta praevia can often safely have a vaginal delivery.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Laranna, my placenta was low lying at my 18 week scan. I was lucky that it did move up so I didn't have to worry, but prior to having the scan to check it, my ob mentioned that if it was more than 1 1/2 cms away I would be ok. I am sure not all obs have the same "cut off", but hopefully for you it is high enough. Best of luck.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

My placenta is low lying so i am having repeat scan at 34 weeks.

fingers crossed for you and I

My SIL is going through this at the moment. It was low lying at 18 weeks and again at 32 weeks. She had an ultrasound at 36 weeks and all is good. She has been told that she can deliver naturally.

Thanks for all that info Kelly, it gave me lots to think about. They were all excellent articles and I have learnt a few more things!

It's good to hear that you guys have had positive outcomes so that's promising for me. It's frustrating in that all the books and some articles I've read said that only like 0.5% or something of women still have a low lying placenta in the 3rd tri. I just think great, just my luck I'm in the minority but at the end of the day I know there is nothing I can do about it and I just have to wait and see. The scary thing was being warned about bleeding. I thought the sonographers and doctors were being overly cautious about bleeding but then I didn't understand the implications of it until I read about haemorrhaging etc. Can it really be that serious?

I see my ob in 2 weeks time so hopefully she will think it is all ok. After my 18 week scan I was told they like it to be at least 2cm from the os so I don't have very far to go. But I am also starting to psych myself up for having a c-section just in case.

I had a massive bleed at 20 weeks that was so scary,(with my 1st) and that is how i found I had a low lying placenta. Was low at 32 weeks, and all good by 37!!! Had a great vag delivery, so i wish you all the best hon!!!