Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be induced?

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Should I be induced?

Hi

I have read heaps of things on induction and some really bad horror stories. I will be 40 weeks on Sunday and have my Ob appointment on Monday. I was hoping if our little Bub had not come by then, I might ask Ob to induce me the next day...1st January.

Do you think it's a good idea? I will be full term.

My DP works in emergency services and has someone filling in for him this weekend, to be home just in case I go into labour, then he doesn't return until 4 January. If I haven't had her by then, it's extremely hard for my DP to leave work as he is in charge also. I would rather be induced than him miss out on the birth of our Bub.

Need some advice!

Last edited by ~Belinda~; December 27th, 2007 at 03:20 PM.

In all honesty i think you need to do what you feel is right for you and your circumstance.

With DD1 i was induced 12 days past my EDD and ended up with an emergency CS after 16hrs of labour but i know of girls who where induced and had drug free experiences and had their babies within a matter of hours.

Although my exp was not a pleasent one if needed be i would be induced again.

GL with your decisions

Hi Bindy, I remember asking to be induced when I was full term because I was so over it LOL I was told that there is a "perfect time" to induce, which is around 8 or 9 days past your due date. I was booked in to be induced 9 days past due date but DD came naturally on the 8th day haha. I dont know if its true about the timing or if they just wanted to see if I'd go into labour naturally but thats my experience.

I hope your DH is there for the birth

Good luck for your big day!!!

You know my induction experience.

I just want to say, maybe compromise - get your OB to check and see if your dialating or not. If you are maybe agree on a date with him before your DP goes back to work. If your not then wait a bit longer. Induction can be hard if your not favourable. My OB wont induce unless your favourable (cervix ripe/effacing and/or dialating) whether your overdue or not - atleast until your 10 days over and its time to get things rolling regardless.

I would say no, but that is my personal opinion.

Induced labours can be far more worse than a spontanious labour to start with. With an induced labour contractions hit you full force straight away until then end but with a spontanious labour you ease into it so it's easier to handle. Having had both myself, i totally agree with it too.

Also induced labours can lead to more intervention (epidural, forceps, vacuum, and even somtimes c/s)

Also if you are induced, baby may not be ready to come out. That's why they say baby will come when he/she is ready to.

I know those last few days (and even going over) are SO hard. But it would be better for you both (if there is nothing wrong) to let nature take it's course and wait.

BUT it is totally up you what you deside to do. These are just some facts to help you but you should not feel forced into any descion and you should feel totally comfortable without any doubts. And no matter what you will descide you should be supported (which is why bellybelly is such a great place! heaps of support without judgement).

Try some walking or even walking up and down stairs to see if that gets things moving. You can also drink raspberry leaf tea and take evening primrose tablets. They can both be found at health food shops and i think the EPO can found at local supermarkets.

Goodluck and *hugs*

IMO, if there is no medical reason for bubs to be born early, even if it is your due date, then there is no reason for an induction. Simply being 'over it' doesn't cut it with me. Besides, once you agree to an induction you start sliding down the slippery path of intervention and you will possibly end up with a birth you didn't want.

Sometimes you will have an OB that will induce you if you request it, but any OB worth their salt will refuse to do it unless there is valid reason to do one. But baby knows when she/he is ready to be born and only a very small percentage of babies are born on their due date. Also, if your body isn't ready, it isn't ready and if it isn't then the induction will fail.

All I can say is think very carefully about the type of birth you want - if you want to let nature take its course or if you want a birth full of medical intervention and then decide form that.

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks girls, like I said with my post below, my DP works in emergency services, he may not be there for the birth which is what I would hate for him to miss out on, it's a wonderful experience that your partner should experience with you I think.

It's great to get your opinions but I was willing to leave Bub in there until she is ready for sure! That's what I want to do but feel a bit "trapped" because of DP's work commitments. I think it's safer to wait personally.

I've had a relatively great pregnancy so even though I'm waddling around and feel a bit of pressure downstairs, my feet have not swollen up or anything and I'm not hating this last phase at all, just a little tired and eager to meet our little one, which I'm hoping isn't too far away.

I have heard great induction stories and bad ones, I guess some people have great birth experiences and others not so great. I feel good that you are all able to share them anyway so I get some ideas, fantastic!

I will definately see what Ob says on Monday though if she is not here and see whether my cervix has softened. I do agree if it hasn't softened, then I can totally understand the need for medical interventions in induced labours!

Thanks girls and have a great afternoon

Bindy, it is really hard when we aren't sure what the *right* thing to do is. You really don't want to make things harder than what they have to be as you will enjoy the whole experience so much more. Good luck and hopefully bubs will make their appearance soon.

I wasn't induced, but I think it's better to let nature take its course. Though on the same note, I think it would be extreemly hard to give birth without your partner there, and I can totally understand why you'd want to induce to make sure he's there. I don't know what I'd do if I were you, its such a tough decision.

~Belinda~ Guest

it is tough isn't it! i will see Ob on Monday and see what he says...

Goodluck Bindy,

Hopefully little Madeleine will arrive before Monday and you won't need to worry about which is the right choice to make!!!!

Hi Bindy - thought i'd let you know that i have been induced with all three of my babies.The first two were very close to my due date, but my third - Hannah - was induced at 37 weeks. I was really worried because i thought it was way too early and she wouldn't be ready, and that i'd be in labour forever. It turned out that i was only in labour for 2 hours and was a really wonderful experience.
    I realise that everybody has different experiences, but just wanted to share a positive one with you.
    I hope everything goes the way you want it to. God luck

Claire Guest

I wouldn't be induced again. I was with my first and ended up requesting an epidural which resulted in forced pushing, forceps delivery and 4th degree tear. Maybe I would have got that with spontaneous, who knows?!

I went 10 days over with my first and 5 days over with my second. My natural labour was a lot easier to manage by far, BUT I also understood more about what was happening to my body the second time around.
    Last edited by Claire; December 28th, 2007 at 11:22 PM.

paradise lost Guest

I wouldn't personally be induced without medical cause because i think nature knows better in general, but that's only an opinon.

I have asked both XP (DD's dad) and DP (no-one's dad yet...) and both basically said they'd rather miss a beautiful natural birth than witness their partner having a horrendous induction/forceps/c-section. Have you talked to DP about what he thinks and do you have access to good support if he isn't there?

Bx

~Belinda~ Guest

I do have my Mum and sister that will be there outside labour ward if I need them but I must say I would love my DP to be there for the birth of our little one, it's just what we both want. Having lots of pains today, hopefully she's not too far away and will come naturally

~Belinda~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JaZMum View Post
    Hi Bindy - thought i'd let you know that i have been induced with all three of my babies.The first two were very close to my due date, but my third - Hannah - was induced at 37 weeks. I was really worried because i thought it was way too early and she wouldn't be ready, and that i'd be in labour forever. It turned out that i was only in labour for 2 hours and was a really wonderful experience.
    I realise that everybody has different experiences, but just wanted to share a positive one with you.
    I hope everything goes the way you want it to. God luck
    Thanks for that positive post. It's good to hear that people have positive experiences too! Makes me feel a lot better really as I do believe everybody is different. Thanks though, you made my day...

~Belinda~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Goodluck Bindy,

Hopefully little Madeleine will arrive before Monday and you won't need to worry about which is the right choice to make!!!!
    Hopefully!! Here's hoping!! Thanks for your post

Hey Bindy.....how are you are you still having those pains????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast