Thread: Stretch & Sweep

Default Stretch & Sweep

For those of you who have had a S&S, did it work? What happened?

I had one done yesterday. Today I have lost my plug & had a small amount of bleeding. I was quite crampy too - but it all seems to have stopped this afternoon - just wondering if that's it, or if I can still expect to go into labour?? (they say it usually happens within 48 hours)

Mine worked in about 48 hours.. I was a little clueless though and didn't realize my labour had started till I went in for my induction on the Thursday morning lol.. they told me I had beat them to it

Good Luck! I can't to see if Calvin comes soon

Good to hear that yours worked. I don't really have the crampiness today - so not sure if anything else will happen.

I can understand you not realising that labour had started. Everyone keeps telling me I will "know" when I'm in labour - but I'm not so sure!

Everyone told me that too but I so didn't know.. and even when I had Isaac. i was still uncertain. I had an examination and was told I was in early labour but I didn't know.. My waters broke an hour later and the contrax I got after that were definetly labour. I had a c/s though but I had 3 contrax before..

But in saying that technically I have gone into labour twice and both times I didn't know.

Maybe I was too clueless

That reassures me a bit! I thought that there was something wrong with me for not being able to figure it out!!

I had two S&S done a few days apart - neither got labour going for me and I had to be induced. With the first one though I had a fair bit of blood loss, but it was only red to start with and then went to the old blood colour.

I personally haven't had a S&S but a friend of mine did and she welcomed her bub into the world just over a day later....much to her relief.

Goodluck darl, it won't be too much longer now.

Haydies - How overdue were you when you had the S&S? When did they induce you?

I have booked myself in for a second S&S on Friday - just in case!

Want to beat the gel induction on Sunday

I had my first S&S at 40 weeks, the second one at 10 days over. I was induced at 14 days.

My first S&S I was 2cm dilated and slightly effaced. The second one I was 3 - 4cm dilated, very 'stretchy' and favourable. At the first S&S the midwives said I'd probably go into labour with in 48 hours, the second one and they were predicting that same night. No explanations on why it didn't give me that "jump start".

Give how well Savannah sleeps now though, I reckon she just slept through the alarm clock.

Did they give you any information with your first one on if you're stretchy? Favourable? Effacing etc?

I was only 1cm dilated on Monday - so not very far along . But, I've since lost mucus plug & continued to feel crampy - so I'm hoping that I've progressed since then!

Sound promising! And one thing to remember is things can happen very quickly. First timers are constantly told that the first stage is usually 8+ hours, the next just as long etc. I was 4 hours go to woe. Now yes, I was induced, but I went from 3-4 cm, to holding my daughter in 4 hours.

1cm is a good sign - especially if your cervix is starting to efface, etc. This 2nd S&S might get it all going for you! Just remember to have faith in your body and in yourself and think labour thoughts. Your body is designed to do this and knows best.

Big hugs and labour vibes your way!

Bringing this one up again as I have an extra question...
    I will be 8days over when I go to the GP tomorrow. I dont know if I am dilated at all yet. He wants me to go into hosp for gells at 9days over but I am wanting to know if you can have a S & S done if you are not dilated at all??? I want to avoid the chemical inducements if I can. I have tried alllll the natural methods and nothing is happening!!! Also, did anyone have progress within 24hours of S&S as I will only have that long before going in for gels..... AArrgghhh, It is doing my head in.

9 days?! Can you push it out a bit? I pushed for day 14 before going in - you never know what a couple of extra days might bring.

DoubleK Guest

i had 3.. and not one of them worked!
    i had one @ 40 weeks...
    41 weeks...
    42 weeks.. i was booked in the next day for induction, so i wasnt too worried when it didnt work the third time! i figure she was happy to stay where she was!!

i was 2cm dilated by the third one tho.

Am I glad this thread just came up again, thanks Sass (not that I can answer your questions!) I have just got home from Ob, who did a S+S in his office. I have pregnancy induced hypertension and he wants to get going in case I get toxemic. I was 2cm last thurs, no progression, today still 2 cm but cervix effaced and favoourable and head fully engaged. I am to go into hospital midnight wed for induction of gel. I have my fingers crossed for starting tomorrow naturally.
    Anyway, I wanted to know what physically happened- as I am bleeding a little and not sure whats normal. Reassuring to read some of these side effects!

I just found this thread & realised that I never updated with what happened. The second S&S was successful - went into labour later that day & had my beautiful boy the next day

Thats good

CONGRATULATIONS