Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To wax or to shave that is the question?

for me the most uncomfortable part of getting waxed when pg was getting comfy enough for the waxer to do it. I was waxed a wk b4 due dates with both my girls and i actually found that whilst pg my hair growth slowed so i had no regrowth. I didnt find the actual wax more painful. I did find when pg though i got more ingrown hairs and my beautician said quite often when pg its out of site so out of mind and lots og pg ppl forget to exfoliate to prevent them. This was true in my case cos i couldnt see any ingrowns starting etc i never exfoliated but when not pg i exfoliate almost daily.

ive always shaved so like someone else said, i dont really need to see, just kinda know where im going hehe just planning to be shaved for labour too, prob do it a few days b4 labour so its not all sensitive ect!

WAX!!! I shaved and I regretted it because I was so itchy and *****ly after the birth and having to deal with the lochia I was miserable. I have not stopped shaving since until 2 weeks ago so I can get enough length to get it waxed. I suppose I am ready but now I just need to bite the bullet and get it done

Hi girls, I just tried to wax myself a couple of days back and started to get some stubble where I dont think I pulled it out properly. It has definatly thined out the amount of hair though. I might just shave the litttle bit that grew back . Gee its a stress having to start from scratch when you havent done it for months and months. The little guy inside me jumped when I started. I think hes said to himself,"what the hell is she doing out there?"LOL

I used hair removal cream and had no trouble with ingrowns or 'cutting' important sections down there. I got my stuff from avon...left it on for 10 mins then washed it off in the shower. I could go all the wy around this way too. muchh easier

Hi there,
    Personally, I reckon wax all the way. However, when I last had it done (2 wks ago) the place where I last went virtually freaked out and said "doctors recommend you shouldn't have a bikini wax in the latter stages of pregnancy because hair prevents infection". I made them go ahead with it (I was 31 wks along) and asked my OB at my next appt what she thought. Her response was that yes, it was ok, however, she and "other" OBs prefer you not get it done any closer than 2 weeks before bub's due date/scheduled C-section because there's a chance of the hair follicles getting infected if the hair hasn't grown back a little.
    I figure we ladies do what we want to do (ie/ I'm going back for another brazilian about 3 wks before my due date) ... but just thought I'd mention my recent conversation with the OB.
    Cheers, Andie

Quote Originally Posted by *charmalea* View Post
    wax , or there are fantastic shavers you can get from shaving shops especially for down there , first you trim with a wand type thingy and then go over it with what look like a lint remover .... HONESTLY there is no ingrowns and no regrowth for about 1 week ..
    I was going to ask if anyone had used one of thes because I'm thinking about buying one!

yep sarah , i love mine , its so handy and if i need a touch up i just "shave" above my c/s scar so the doc doesnt see the hair when he uses the doppler ...

i rate it ... at first it seems exe ( 165 i think) but then i have used it so many more times then i would for a wax and where i am a wax is about 45- 60 a pop ... and you can take it any where !!

Which brand did you get?

its called a Seiko Cleancut , i got it in the package with the Femini shaver ( its the wand type thing you use to trim the long hairs) ..

i have had big problems with ingrowns in the past and in my honest words , i have had none since usuing this .... all you do is use a little baby powder on the hair , trim with the wand then go over in a circular motion with the cleancut shaver ....

and voila ... a smooth woo hoo !!

I waxed it was a little more tender than usual but not unbearably though, I get really bad shaving rash so can't shave at all and I didn't think it was fair to present the amazon jungle look to my unsuspecting midwife and OB!! LOL (DD was born in July so I was having a winter break from waxing much to DH's disgust though he never said anything)

I am booking in for my next wax this week.
    Going to do an emergency shave if i go early, but i have found that it has taken longer for the hair to grow back since being pg. Got some ingrown's but nothing too bad.
    Figure that if i need stitches it will be worse with re-growth occurring.
    Each to their own thou... i am a nurse and when being down that end it doesnt matter what you look like as long as it is clean (i have had some horror stories!)

I might leave the last shave to the night b4 the c section. I dont want to have a scar with hair growing through it. It would be harder to keep clean.

Getting pritty close to baby day now.

ooooh sammiejane , im itching to hear the horror stories the more guresome the better !!

i have also heard some shockers from my waxer , some were a little grose

Charmalea - you would not believe the state that people let them selves get into down there and really not care.
    Im not talking about hair growth, general hygiene can go a long way IYKWIM
    i seriously think that there are some women that think that as they cannot see the area, they do not need to clean the area - when AF comes they dont bother showering etc... i will leave it at that as there will be many that came here to read about waxing!!! not to be grossed out!

BTW i had my wax yesterday and i was so suprised, less hair growth than normal and it hurt less too.
    Just hope that bubs doesnt come late otherwise i will have to get another one done for a tidy up!

During this pregnancy I have given up shaving because of regrowth and the fact I can't see over my bump. I get DH to give me a trim down there to keep it tidy, I find it works a treat.

My advice is to do nothing. If you shave or wax you are more prone to infection. Having just the insy winciest amount of infection so close to a deep surgical wound will make you vulnerable to infection. Let the nurses shave you at the time. They will use an antiseptic wash at the time which will prevent germs breeding. If you are worried about appearances then many nurses and doctors i know tend to not look twice at natural hair "down there". Hair actually helps you retain a bit of modesty and it does serve a purpose. If you are wanting to feel clean then ask you DH to do a trim with some blunt scissors to avoid nicking anything. There is a poll about the prevalence of women getting infections in there c/s wounds. I think all the unnecessary shaving and waxing might be contributing to this JMO

Talking

Hi girls, I did wax over a week a go, but since with the small regrowth I though I would leave it. The midwives have given me some special soap to wash myself with.

OMG, the c section is tommorow at 6 am. I will tell you if they bothered to shave the little hairs off or just left it.

Thanks so much for your input. The replys have been fantastic

Take care

Karlie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast