Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some good labour snacks to pack?

Default What are some good labour snacks to pack?

Just want to know what are good snacks/drinks to pack in my labour bag? What have you found helpful to get you through without being too heavy?

Thanks

Good idea to get organised Rae!

i packed :
    Sultanas & dried apricots.. good to nibble on
    museli bars
    Poppa Drinks / apple & Blackcurrent
    rice cracker biscuits

but i didnt get to eat any of them! My labours were to short.. i did enjoy them once i was in hospy for snack thou

I had Hungry Jacks while in labour with DD2! DS it was too quick and with DD1 you weren't allowed to eat while you were in labour.

I ate lollies!! like those jelly snake things.

I also liked the jelly kind of lollies - and jellybeans were good to. I bought hard ones with me, but really didn't want them during labour.

That and prima's were good cos i could suck on the straw and hold it without worrying about spilling it like i would have with a glass & straw.

HTH

i also found my Pump water bottle the BEST!

Oh good idea about the poppas Yael - hadn't thought about the spilling factor - which i'm sure will occur if i'm in the middle of a contraction.

tiggy Guest

I always suggest lollipops. Easy to take in and out when you are contracting, light but full of sugar to keep your BSL up! That and lots of water or cordial/flavoured water to keep you hydrated.
    Two of the main things that can slow labour are low sugar levels (not enough energy) and dehydration. They'll both send contractions off. Good Luck Rae, am thinking of you!!

I couldn't eat a thing from the first contraction until DD was boen 32 hours later! They gave me an anti nauseous injection towards the end cause i was even throwing up water. After that I could suck on ice cubes and that was it.

Great thread Rae!! Thanks for the tips ladies!!

Rae, when I went in with my SIL recently, we took in some powdered gatorade and made it up in one of their jugs. She sipped on this during her labour, which was pretty long. Found this helped great.

Also another great and energetic snack is banana's. Light and easy to eat, and soft if you do end up spewing it back up

The midwife gave me a lemonade icypole which I had in the shower. I wasn't even thinking of food once I got to hospital but anything I ate while at home I spewed back up.

Babushka Doll Guest

hmm, ive packed some barley sugar lollies, but now thinking about the chocking factor (no stick), I might let DH eat them! haha

Great thread, will def be packing some poppa's... love the prima orange ones!

The hospital brought around lunch for me while I was in labour... and I LOOOVED the jelly! It was so easy to eat, sweet, and kinda quenched my thirst a bit too. So I recommend some Jelly!

kiki Guest

I ate cheese sandwiches one after the other during my first labour! my DH was ready to do anything it took to get me through but never imagined he'd have to make catering amounts of cheese sarny's!!!! In my second labour I didn't even think about food cos it was all to fast but I was starving when it was all over!!!!

i wasn't prepared at all last time - so i didn't have anything, but that wasn't a problem as i was only in hospital a total of two hours before jelly was born. afterwards (when i was sleeping) DH went and got me KFC and some fruit and lollies and bikkies for me (the woman at the darrell lea store also gave him some yummy chocolates to give me - it's a bit sad when the owner of the candy store knows you that well, but i was in there everyday for the last month of my pregnancy).

this time i may have to prepare beforehand...

Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    (the woman at the darrell lea store also gave him some yummy chocolates to give me - it's a bit sad when the owner of the candy store knows you that well, but i was in there everyday for the last month of my pregnancy).
    LOL, misty, that's fantastic!!!
    Tiggy made me eat lollies and drink water . (I never thought I'd be reluctant to eat lollies ) Peppermints were good for nausea.
    I also recommend telling your support person to HASSLE you to eat and drink! You may not find it too important at the time. All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    (the woman at the darrell lea store also gave him some yummy chocolates to give me - it's a bit sad when the owner of the candy store knows you that well, but i was in there everyday for the last month of my pregnancy).

How funny

But, good thread, will be taking note.
    On another thread, IK suggested Mizone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast