Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some good labour snacks to pack?

clare076 Guest

I took ribena drinks in those tetra packs so I could sip them while in the spa. I think I took peppermints but never opened the packet. Don't forget to pack something for your partners as well. It could be a long labour and you may not be happy with him "popping" out to get something to eat.

Clare - i shall NOT be happy with him popping out for something to eat! Am also going to pack ford mags for him! Thankfully, my DH is easy to pack snacks for - Mars Bars and Pascall Columbines

I couldn't eat a thing during my labour (which was 72 hours!!) but on the third day when we were at the hospital I was drinking red powerade - it just seemed to appear before me and i just kept guzzling it because the gas dried out the back of my throat.

I found out later it was DH who was going out to get it for me! LOL.

The midwives did tell me to try to eat and drink during my labour to keep myself hydrated and for the energy I would need (we went to the hospital twice before I actually stayed in and delivered DD) but I just couldn't. I was in too much pain.

Kiki, are you making the cheese sandwiches next time hun Not huge on cheese though, it tends to block up hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Also another great and energetic snack is banana's. Light and easy to eat, and soft if you do end up spewing it back up
    lol...delightful!!

I took choc chip cookies and poppers and I think jellybeans?? Didn't matter cos it was too quick and didn't have time for anything!! I did want a drink after Oskar was born and then DH said...oh I left them in the car...PMSL...so it was a good thing that labour was too fast and I didn't need them!!

I've packed jelly beans, snakes and starburst chews. I like the Mizone idea though.

When I did the Oxfam 100km walk, my g/friend (who's my 2nd support person here) was forcing peanut paste down my throat, making me suck it. So she's packed that again :0

Might pick up some BBQ shapes for DF and also some mini mars bars

At our prenatal classes it was suggested that we pack some mints as they are refreshing and may help if you are feeling a bit nauseous!

The hard lollies i bought were mint cos i ate it all through my pregnancy when i felt sick - but when i was in labour i just didn't want anything hard in my mouth.

Maybe a softish mint lollie would be good also?

I also want to bring some icy-poles that are in like a long cylinder plastic tube that you break in half - cos that way they are in plastic if i need to hand it to somebody during a contraction - but i found sucking on cold things were really good when i felt sick also (i ate a lot of slurpees!)

we have packed a box of arnotts shapes, a packet of allens snakes, and some poppers.

Sweet _Pea Guest

Frosty Fruits!

DH bought them from the hospital lunch bar.

Thanks so much everyone - these suggestions are great!!!

I think i'll go out this week and buy:
    ~poppas (apple juice - it always helped my nausea when i had m/s)
    ~some allens chewy lollies - like snakes
    ~spearmint leaves - cause they're minty but chewy too
    ~Arnotts shapes
    ~and take a few sachets of the hydralyte powder we still have from our bout of gastro cause they may help keep me hydrated
    ~ might try to keep fresh grapes on hand too to grab cause they might be good to eat?? (and easy on the tummy if i can't keep them down)

Love the iceblock suggestions too - so will have to remind my supports to duck out and get me some if i feel like them.

I can see me not eating anything but at least they'll be there for me or my supports to snack on (or for afterwards in the ward if i'm up late feeding/expressing).

Thanks again

Wow eating was the last thing on my mind! lol!!!

Hmmmmm - now I need to think about the snacks ......... and I still haven't even packed my baby or hospital bag!!!!!!!!

check with your hospital if they provide a meal when you are in labour.. We were there for Breaky and lunch, and although i didnt eat it, DH certainly liked it!.. i just drank the apple juice!

I kept buying jelly beans to pack in my bag then kept eating them LOL
    We had to stop on the way to the hospital ( i was induced so was not in labour) to stock up AGAIN LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
    Hmmmmm - now I need to think about the snacks ......... and I still haven't even packed my baby or hospital bag!!!!!!!!
    I don't think I packed my bag until around 4 weeks before EDD...lol. Even then it was just what I could think of and then I would add things as I read about it or thought of it and then I had a list of last minute things to throw in. My snacks were all in the fridge so they were on the last minute list...in the end DH forgot to get them out of the car anyway!! Lucky for him labour was VERY short and I didn't even think about anything like that until I was thirsty after having bubs.

Smile

Well i've put bags of fruit, big bottle of lucozade, bag of chewy sweets (haribo) and dry choc biscuits all ready and prepared in my labour bag... been told thats all ok!

Good luck to you all!!

Laura xXx

Laura, just check and make sure the fruit isn't sqiushy when you go in. Just incase you go over hun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast