Thread: When do you know bubs has engaged?

Default When do you know bubs has engaged?

Hi
    People keep coming and asking me when bubs is due and when I say 'end of Jan' they say "Oh. but you have dropped already." I thought my bump was always pretty low but I am getting worried now, is this normal?

I am still getting aches in my groin area but not pressure (I don't think) - more like bruising!

Will I know when bubs has engaged? And how long before labour do they engage?

Sorry for all the questions.
    Cheers, T.

Hi Tess!
    Just saw your post and wanted to let you know that I found my belly dropped at around 34 weeks, but as far as being engaged goes that is when they feel bubs head and say whether they are 2/5 or 1/5 or 4/5 engaged - meaning bubs head is low in your pelvis and ready for action. I dont think your belly dropping and being engaged is the same thing - well it wasn't for me.

Izzy dropped early but never properly engaged - even when I was in labour and about 9cms dilated from induction she was still only 2/5 engaged, so it varies with each baby hun. I don't think you can tell -although alot of people mention that they feel ALOT of pressure in their pelvic area and have a sensation like bub will fall out though - I have heard that a bit! I think too that some babies engage right at the last minute so I wouldn't be too worried about it - amazing how lots of well-meaning friends and family turn into expert midwives and obs when you are pregnant!

Anyway I hope this helps hun and enjoy the last few weeks of your journey! I'm so happy for you and I can't wait to hear your news!

Hi Tess

Well, I havent noticed my tummy dropping (and no one else has mentioned it) but my Ob said that my baby FULLY engaged 3 weeks ago (at 35 weeks) so I agree with Tanstar, I'm not sure if it has much bearing on the way your tummy looks. Maybe your baby has just reached a certain weight which has caused your tummy to become heavier and drop a little??? I wouldnt take any notice of what other people say (it has taken me 38 weeks to learn that as everyone says something different). Concentrate on how you feel and if you feel something is wrong or different then mention it to your doctor/midwife.

Once my baby engaged, I noticed a lot more toilet trips (both number 1 and number 2) as there was obviously more pressure/weight on the bladder and bowel. Sometimes I (TMI ....) do number 2's 4-5 times a day. I also believe (and as Tanstar said) that first babies usually engage 2-4 weeks before your EDD but they can also in some cases engage as late as during labour but this is usually second and subsequent babies. Sorry I cant be much more help to you. I've also heard that when bubs has engaged, it feels like you are carrying a grapefruit between your legs but I havent noticed this feeling .....

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy .... not long to go now!!!
    Last edited by Deltadawn; December 10th, 2007 at 01:40 PM.

Tess
    My belly never dropped and i always carried low.

Dont worry top much about other people - for some reason when you are pregnant everyone thinks they have the right to make what ever comments they like at you!

You dr can usually tell you by feel if but is engaged but he can slip in and out right up to birth,

DD was head down from 20 weeks and never moved other spun (breakdanced) from side to side on her head but 3 days b4 she was born the dr said i was only 1 /5 (least amount) engaged! so it happened pretty quickly

good luck with the birth

hugs

I'm 2/5ths engaged...or rather, Ramlet is....I'm 35 + 5 today. I was hoping he/she was further down. Oh and as for the constant trips to the little girls' room, I'm over them...O-V-A-H.

Thanks ladies - I feel like such a panic woman at the moment. I am making everything into a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Thanks for reassuring me that all is good and normal.
    Good luck to your all. Txx

Hi there gorgeous. You are far from making everything into a digger deal than it needs to be. You are just asking questions. Livvy engaged about 35 weeks but she was head down from about 30 weeks. I carried low the whole time so I didn't drop but I did get a heavy feeling from about 36 weeks onward. Best of luck for your last 6 weeks. I just can't wait until the day you annouce floss's safe arrival. I'm already teary. Look after yourself petal.

Thanks for your post Nurse Dan - it is good to hear that others had head down from 30wks etc. Olivia looks gorgeous by the way.

Hope you are doing okay - and I am hoping these next 6wks fly by (only 2 and half until full term - yay).
    xx