Thread: Totally confused - help!!

Default Totally confused - help!!

Ok. So DD is due to start prep in 2010 (QLD). I am totally stuck with the decision of where to send her. Do I send her to a public school in our local area so she can be close to friends that she makes. The public schools in our local area are O.K. but have heard a few grumbles about them & there are better public schools 20min away, but we would have to move house to be in the zone to attend the schools.

Or

Do I send her to private schooling which is 30min away (the most local private school is way too religious for our liking - I don't drive and she'd have to get there by school bus). By doing this I am struggling with the thought she is going to live 'away' from the friends that she makes and that if anything happened, parents and grandparents are 30min+ away. Moving closer is an option but it will change our lifestyle (being further away from beach, family support & friends) and mean getting to work will be triple the time.

I think the friendship thing is important but at the same time don't want to regret not sending her to a private school. I've been told by a number of family, friends and carers that she is highly intelligent for her age, but I've always not taken much notice of their comments because I just didn't see it, but it is becoming more noticeable and because of this a few are saying I should send her to private schooling just for that reason. (sorry, don't want to sound like a big headed mum )

Money is not really an issue but at the same time I think having friends close by is important.

Any comments, advice welcome.

Armymum, are you or hubby still in the forces? Is it likely that you'll get posted? If so, you'd probably be better just going the public route.

Also, the religion thing is a big issue, particularly if you don't practice at home as a lot of those schools base quite a bit of their curriculum on religious education and your child may find that is a disadvantage.

I am a firm believer that clever kids do well at school no matter where they go.

Amygirl - on the idea of sending more intelligent kids to private schools - public schools can be just as good! I went public for primary and high school, and (again not being big-headed!) was pretty much the top of my class the whole time. I don't think that I lacked any opportunities by going public. I went on to uni, got 1st class honours and am now finishing my PhD - so I think if your DD is intelligent she will bloom whatever school she goes to!

Mrs P makes a good point - my DF got tossed out of private school because they couldn't keep up with him (yes, i was quite astounded to hear that) - at least in public school the systems may be a little less structured and she my have more opportunities to move forward.
    I left the private school i was at (grade five) after a term, because they were holding me back, so i guess i'd say public education is just as good. But then again, it's sort of a trial-error situation too.

Amygirl, you're on the Coast aren't you? Where abouts? If it's the northern end then my DS went to a school called Pimpama, it''s really fantastic and I was sorry to take him out when we moved. It's a great public school and you don't have to be in the catchment area to get in

Thanks for your replies everyone. It's such a hard decision isn't it.

Canberramomma - we're not in the forces - not sure where that came from? Just regular 9-5'ers.

RachelM - hi - yep on southern end of Coast. Just wish I had some positive reports like yours on the schools down this way. Doesn't make it inviting when you hear bad things.

I don't have an issue with her going to a public school but it's more the fact that the good public schools are not close by and it would mean moving into the 'zone'....either way I look at it, I really need to move I guess. Seems like such a silly thing to have to do, especially as we love where we are and are close to family, beach etc etc.
    Last edited by ZigZag; January 31st, 2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: extra sentence

Amy - i think there's another member called 'armygirl' or the like, so probably just a mixup
    Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks - yep, no worries. Forces would be a whole different ball-game - glad I don't have that to stress over either.

Thanks.

Where are you hearing that the schools near you aren't very good and who from? Its only ,as a teacher it is interesting to hear parent perceptions of schools cause they are often coloured by one child's experience and the parents' attitude. We have had parents of a bully complain to others about our school because they were in denial of that their child was doing.
    I am very pro- public education and agree with others who say a bright child will be bright anywhere. I am in NSW so know nothing of the GC so can't advise you about schools there, I have a friend who lives in Hollywell (sp?) who sends her child to a local public school and is very happy with it.