Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading at the moment?

I loved the 4th Dexter BG. The 3rd was a total let-down. I really didn't get into it but Dexter By Design is right back on track. It's really funny.

ETA -
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    the books are good if you like the series - though the second and third are soooo much more graphic than the tv show could ever be!
    I think one of the reasons that I like the show is that it's derivative but it has totally different plots - if it just tried to stick to the books I think it would be awful.

Im reading "Storms". It's an auto biography by Carol Ann who was the girlfriend of Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac. It's about the 8 years she spent with him and the whole band. I love, love, love Fleetwood Mac and especially Stevie Nicks so im loving it!

Just resurrecting this thread...it's been a while and I bet there are some really interesting books being read, post-Christmas and all.

I'm reading The 19th Wife (by David Ebershoff). It's a murder mystery, where the 19th wife of a modern utah polygamist is accused of his murder, and her son sets out to find out the truth...this is juxtaposed with exercepts from the real-life memoir of one of Brigham Young's wives who was involved with the early mormons (and founded Salt Lake City). I'm only into Chapter 2 and it's riveting.

A friend of mine read that MD & he raved about it too... It does sound very interesting - I think I might have to read that one!

I'm reading "commitment" by Elizabeth Gilbert - she also wrote Eat, Pray, Love... I loved EPL - I travelled vicariously through her! I am finding commitment interesting also. It's been a long while since I have read a novel as Ihave been immersed in self help/healing books... So, thought these holidays I would read a novel - thus my choice!

I've just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife. I really enjoyed it and want to see the movie now.

Tossing up whether to read one of the Jodi Picoult books I got for Christmas or the new Dan Brown book...

Inanna, I saw "Commitment" on the shelves at BigW - made a mental note to read it once i get my copy of Eat Pray Love back from my sis and get to read it That'll serve me right for lending a book before I've finished with it.

Eluned, I noted with interest that Nieffenegger will be at Adelaide Writer's Week - another mental note to read that one quick! I've never read Dan Brown so I reckon go for Jodi Picoult

I'm reading the house of night series at the moment, waiting for the next sookie stackhouse and the vampire academy books to come out.. I don't have a thing for vampires but I like a good story.

I'm just filling in space with YA gene books.

I've just finished Halting State by Charles Straub (which is I guess what you could describe as post-cyberpunk in the vein of William Gibson), Transition by Iain Banks, and just started Anathem by Neil Stephenson. Now Anathem has reached a critical mass of interestingness, I may not even finish this sentence to go hop into bed with it.

For those who are interested - Neil Stephenson first wrote I guess what would be called erudite cyberpunk (Snow Crash - which anticipated VR worlds and tied Sumerian mythology with mnemonic viruses) and activist fiction (Zodiac), then started writing historical fiction with a technological/scientific basis. The Baroque Cycle (3 books) centred on Natural Philosophy and the precursors to information theory in the 17th & 18th centuries (Isaac Newton is featured as a character, among other notable historical figures), whereas Cryptonomicon (which is oddly enough a sequel to The Baroque Cycle and features Alan Turing and General Douglas Macarthur as its main 'guest stars') is set in both the Second World War and the early 1990s and focuses on cryptology and digital information management. They're quite heavy going reading but the pay-offs are worth it, and he's got a sense of humour that makes it a lot less dull than it sounds. It does help though having a bit of background knowledge about the topics, because there's a lot of in-jokes.

His latest book follows many of the same themes but is set in a completely fictional world that parallels with human civilisation. I'm liking it so far.

I'm eating my way through every true crime book I can find in second hand book shops! Just read one on the Manson family and now one on Australian true crime.

Looking to get one recommended by Oorki Galoorki on Ted Bundy...

Suse I've got to admit - you have completely lost me on teh whole cyberpunk thaing...I take it they're novels?

I'm guessing you've read In Cold Blood (Truman Capote) then Nettie? If you haven't - get ye to a bookstore now, it's pretty much mandatory reading for anyone interested in crime reportage. Norman Mailer's biography of Lee Harvey Oswald is quite interesting too. I normally want to belt Norman Mailer over the head a few times after reading any of his work but this wasn't too bad.

LOL MD - yep, they are.

It's a genre - William Gibson is probably the most well known author who writes in it - which is a sub-genre of science fiction that focuses more specifically on technology; particularly computer tech (including VR and immersive technologies) and information tech. There's a few other elements that usually loosely define the genre - often the protagonists subscribe to some form of anarchist/activist/counter-political/alternative culture, and they are usually a cautionary tale about the potential for authoritarian misuse of such technologies. Sometimes George Orwell's Big Brother is described as a precursor to the cyberpunk movement.

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    the books are good if you like the series - though the second and third are soooo much more graphic than the tv show could ever be!
    I just laugh out loud any time i even think the phrase "yodelling potato" LMAO, but it's just an awful thought too!

About 3/4 through the 4th one. It's worth re reading them, he does pepper the books with interesting phrases that only make sense if you know what's coming. In the first one he refers to being like the Ice Truck killers "annoying younger brother" which made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    I'm guessing you've read In Cold Blood (Truman Capote) then Nettie?
    Nope. It's now on my 'must have' list. I've ordered another one of Ann Rule's books through my library - so will have at least a week to find :yeahthat: before that comes in!

And I'll have a look at the other book you mentioned too... when I find a pen and write them down...

Just re subscribing to this thread as it was a while ago when I used to read/post in it!

At the moment I'm reading The Girl Who Played With Fire (2nd in the Millennium series after Thr Girl With The Dragon Tattoo).

I read the first one & really enjoyed it - but I'm in 3 book groups, so I tend to usually have time to only read the books we're currently doing (which makes it 3 books per month... and then one of my own choice if the others aren't huge & depending on how much time I have ).
    As we have a break over Christmas holidays, I got a chance to read whatever I liked... and the last 2 of that series have been gathering dust on my bookshelf, so it was time!
    About halfway through - although my bookgroups start again as of next week, so I'll be back to reading whatever is on our lists until I go on maternity leave in April! (So probably won't finish book 3 til then).

I've also picked up Love In The Time Of Cholera for the bellybelly bookgroup thats just started up this month (if anyone is interested http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...-bookclub.html) - so will definately get through that before discussions start in Feb.

Im reading "Well Adjusted Babies"

Quote Originally Posted by Ammaki View Post
    Im reading "Well Adjusted Babies"
    I was briefly flipping through this at that at my Chiropractor earlier this week. Is it good?

At the moment I'm laughing my way through Up The Duff. I don't know how many times I've burst out laughing while reading this book. DH keeps asking what I'm laughing at LOL.

I'm also reading the Richard Bachman books - Just finished The Long Walk and starting on Roadwork, and I've started reading Portrait of a Lady by Henry James again.

MsKara it was a gift from my Chiro haha! I've only read through her birth stories and a little bit further at the moment, but im enjoying it

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast