Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your recommended books?

Question Your recommended books?

Hi everyone,

Well, I've neglected my recreational reading lately... it's been mostly textbooks and journal articles for the last 18 months (last book I read was Harry Potter, aside from the pregnancy/birth books) and I'd like to get back into reading some novels again.

In 2005/2006 I was reading my way through the Angus and Robertson Top 100 list, and I read quite a lot... But it missed a lot of classics I thought... classics I had heard about but the names escape me right now

So I'd love to know what you recommend. I don't actaully have a favourite genre, I love everything as long as it has a good storyline, so tell me your favourites and must read books!

ETA: Also, with the A&R list, is the updated (2007) any better in the classics section?
    Last edited by Indadhanu; May 5th, 2008 at 10:19 AM.

Anything by Jane Austen
    The Count of Monte Christo
    Vanity Fair
    Most of Philipa Gregory's books
    The Devil Wears Prada
    19 Minutes or My Sister's Keeper both Jpdi Piccoult (but keep some tissues nearby)

They're the ones that spring to mind today but tomorrow I'd probably write you a totally differant list lol.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (not a pleasant story line but pioneered a new genre of journalism combined with fiction) based on the murder of the Clutter family in America, finding of the killers and how the author got to know them.

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry - not one I would have ordinarily read but 'had to' for my book club. Amazing book, set in India. Good kick in the bum when we feel sorry for ourselves.

Just finished The Gathering by Ann Enright - think it won this year's Booker Prize. Easy-to-read but good.

Currently reading Middlemarch by George Eliot - good so far.

I tend to read a lot of biographies rather than fiction. A fave would be one about Katherine Graham - American 'society' figure who had to take over as editor/publisher (can't remember which) of the New York Times and how she did so successfully despite being very shy and being thrust into a man's position in the 60s.

Also just finished Misconceptions by Naomi Wolf - about modern-day pregnancy, childbirth and childrearing. Interesting read.

And when I just want an easy, chick lit read, Marian Keyes never fails to make me laugh.

Happy reading!

Hi Leash,

I read a lot of books in the literature section rather than the fiction - a lot of the ones I can recommend are on the A&R list, and on the Dymocks Top 100 to read before you die...

Shantaram (Gregory David Roberts) - I think you'll either love it or hate it, I LOVED it, don't be put off by the size though - almost 1000 pgs

We Need To Talk About Kevin (Lionel Shriver)

Running With Scissors (Augusten Burrows) - This one definately is an aquired taste, but the sarcasm was brilliant - and its a bio, not that you'll believe some of the things that happened to him!

The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold) - Have your tissues handy

My Sisters Keeper (Jodi Piccoult)

The Green Mile (Stephen King)

Hmmm - Will check out the lists and let you know what other ones I've read that are great - there's a few on the lists that makes me wonder how they got there!

WOW - reading. Sigh. I remember the days. Once upon a time, I enjoyed Ian McEwan books - Amsterdam, Atonement, Saturday & Enduring Love. And Iris Murdoch's The Word Child. I was given One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson a couple of years ago, which is a crime fiction, not what I'd normally choose, but I found it really drew me in & I couldn't put it down. Also, for light reading the Alexander McCall Smith books can be a bit of fun.

But, (and I know this is completely off the point) I'm really really good at kids books - Where is the Green Sheep (Mem Fox) is a must read in our house, Liam loves it. Every night. And for older kids/toddlers, there's a book called All Afloat on Noah's boat by Tony Mitton, Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae (but both illustrated by Guy Parker-Rees) These are gorgeous to read aloud and beautifully illustrated. Also, my newest fav is a brand new book called Cork on the Ocean, by Mark Somerset - again, gorgeous to read aloud and a beautiful happy story. Sorry, I get really excited about books, but these days I don't get much grown-up reading done, but I love to share the good kids books that I've come across.

I second The Lovely Bones and My sisters keeper. Couldn't put them down!

I tried to get through Crime and Punishment before DS came, but I ran out of time.....

i'll second 'we need to talk about kevin' by lionel shriver. it's brilliant.

Am reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak at the moment. A bit of a different writing style but am really enjoying it... am only half-way through though so can't 100% recommend it yet
    Last edited by Amie; May 5th, 2008 at 09:48 PM.

morgan78 Guest

The Family - Mario Puzo (author of The Godfather)
    Classics - Great Expectations, Little Women, Emma, Jane Eyre
    I love Fantasy and am currently reading Ian Irvine's Geomancer series (last book not out yet )
    Though must say dont have a lot of time to read these days between the kids & BB

Thanks everyone, am off to the library today

I would definately second these books (The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold) and My Sisters Keeper (Jodi Piccoult)). I loved them so much (after I'd finished crying ) I actually just bought them both for a friends birthday, and she loves them too!

A few off the top of my head not already mentioned- all great stories.

The Kite Runner
    The house of sand and fog
    The timetravellers wife
    The bronze horseman
    Wild Swans
    Lord of the Rings
    The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

I can recommend The Book Thief on your behalf SJH
    It is a little different, but I thought it was great

I can also recommend "People Of The Book" by Geraldine Brooks - its her new one - has a bit of everything, history, religion, etc - and very cleverly put together

Quote Originally Posted by Hollybolly View Post
    I can recommend The Book Thief on your behalf SJH
    It is a little different, but I thought it was great
    Excellent, thanks for that. Am finding it difficult to put down!

I can also recommend "People Of The Book" by Geraldine Brooks - its her new one - has a bit of everything, history, religion, etc - and very cleverly put together
    Ooh I've heard of that one too. Sounds like our bookshelves might be related!

Marley & Me by John Grogan. I hardly ever read but I just couldn't put this one down. Brilliant.

I loved 'The Memory keepers Daughter" (can't recall author name though). It was a tear jerker though...

And any of the Jodi Piccoult books - 19 Minutes was brilliant, so was Salem Falls, Keeping Faith, The Pact, My Sisters Keeper... A friend of mine has all her books and I've borrowed the ones I haven't read... I can't get enough of her books!

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I loved 'The Memory keepers Daughter" (can't recall author name though). It was a tear jerker though...
    Kim Edwards

I didn't mind this one, though I was a little disappointed in the ending

A Town like Alice (Neville Shute) is an all time favourite - haven't read it in years though, I wonder if I'd be disappointed.

Plus the best one I've read recently is the Timetraveller's Wife.

I love anything by Jodie Piccoult too.

Oh, and anything by Ann Tyler. I love her but her books are hard to get. Good book shops have some in the literature section. If you've never read Ann Tyler, give it a try. Digging to America is a recentish one of hers that I enjoyed.

Highly recommend:

Tully - Paullina Simmons &
    Chill Factor - Sandra Brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast