Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Food

Mandi Guest

Default Christmas Food

I thought this might help those who are trying to watch what they eat, make a lovely Christmas Cake for the coming season!

Points Per Serve - 4
    Total Points - 146
    Serves 36 Slices
    240 Calories per slice

Christmas Cake

Ingredients

1kg mixed dried fruit (raisins, sultanas and currants)
    100g glace cherries - halved
    150ml brandy or dark rum
    175g polyunsaturated margarine
    175g unrefined light or dark muscovado sugar
    4 eggs - beaten
    finely grated zest and juice of 1 small orange
    300g plain flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 heaped tsp ground mixed spice

For the Almond Paste
    225g ground almonds
    50g golden caster sugar
    50g golden icing sugar
    1 large egg white - lightly beaten
    2-3 drops lemon juice
    2 tsp apricot jam or honey

For the Royal Icing
    1 egg white
    225g icing sugar

Method

Put the mixed dried fruit and cherries into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes, then drain really well. Add the brandy or rum, stir well and cover. Leave for three days, or overnight at least.

Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin with double thickness greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius.

In a very large bowl, beat together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then add the orange zest and juice.

Sift the flour, salt and spice together. Fold into the creamed mixute and using a metal spoon, then stire in the soaked dried fruit with any remaining brandy or rum, mixing thoroughly. Turn into the prepared tin and level the surface, making a slight depression in the middle.

Bake for approximately 2 1/2 hours. Check after 2 hours, covering the surface with double-thickness brown paper to prevent it from getting too brown. To test if cooked, pierce with a fine skewer. If it does not come out clean, cook for a little longer. Cool in the tin. Wrap in greaseproof paper, then store in an airtight tin.

To make the almond paste, mix together the almonds, caster sugar and all but 2 tsps of the icing sugar. Bind together with egg white and lemon juice.

Dust a worktop with icing sugar, then roll out the paste to a 20cm square. Brush the surface of the cake with jam or honey and cover with the almond paste.

Lightly beat the egg white, then gradually sift in the sugar using a nylon sieve, beating until the icing is smooth and glossy. Use to decorate the top of the cake.

Note - freezing is not recommended for this cake.

Hi,

I am in cooking mode as we speak: I have just done the ham and made mice pies, so I am feeling very Christmassy!

1 leg of ham (approx 7kg)
    1 large orange
    2 cups water
    6 whole cloves
    1 1/4 cups soft brown sugar
    1 tblspn English mustard powder
    1 cup of runny honey

~ Pre-heat the oven to 180`c
    ~ Hard bit first: remove the rind from the leg of ham with a sharp knife.
    ~ Squeeze the juice from the orange and set aside for later
    ~ Cut the orange ring into thin strips
    ~ Place the bald ham on a roasting rack in a deep baking dish
    ~ Add the water and cover with foil
    ~ Bake for 2 hours

~After 2 hours remove the meat from the baking dish
    ~Score the fat of the ham with deep cuts in a diamond pattern
    ~Combine the sugar, mustard and honey in a bowl into a paste, and reserve about 2 tablespoons of this paste for later
    ~Spread the remaining paste over the ham
    ~Return the ham to a clean baking dish and cook uncovered for approx 30 mins
    ~Take the left over paste & mix it with the orange juice to make a glaze
    ~Remove the ham from the oven and brush the glaze all over the ham
    ~ Insert cloves into each diamond on the ham
    ~ Roast for another hour, glazing every 15 mins
    ~ Once done, don't try to carve it for at least 1 hour

Good luck!

Sounds yummy, have to try that, Thanks Lucy. (only 56 days to go till you meet your little one, congrats.

I saw this Ham recipe on Nigella yesterday, its actually an old episode but I remember thinking the first time it looked pretty good...pretty unhealthy lol but hey you don't have cooked ham every day of the week...right?

So here you go...here's Nigellas Trashy Ham in Coke Recipe...

Trashy: Ham in Coca-Cola

4 1/4-4 1/2 pound bone-in fresh ham
    1 onion, peeled and cut in half
    2-liter bottle of Coca-Cola

For the glaze:
    Handful of cloves
    1 heaping tablespoon of molasses
    2 teaspoons of English mustard powder
    2 tablespoons of granulated brown sugar

One thing before you start: Don't even consider using Diet Coke--it's full of sugar. If you know that you're dealing with a salty ham, put it in a pan covered with cold water, bring to the boil and then tip into a colander in the sink and start from here; otherwise, put the ham in a pan (skin-side down, if it fits like that), add the onion and then pour over the Coke. Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on (though not tightly) and cook for just under two-and-a-half hours. If your joint is larger or smaller, work out timing by reckoning on an hour for every two pounds, remembering that it's going to get a quick blast in the oven later. But do take into account that if the ham's been in the refrigerator right up to the moment you cook it, you will have to give it a good 15 minutes or so extra, so that the interior is properly cooked.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 500 F. When the ham's had its time, take it out of the pan (but do not throw away the cooking liquid) and let cool a little for ease of handling. (Indeed, you can let it cool completely and then finish off the cooking at some later stage if you want.) Then remove the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat. Score the fat with a sharp knife to make fairly large diamond shapes and stud each diamond with a clove. Then carefully spread the molasses over the bark-budded skin, taking care not to dislodge the cloves. Gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat. Cook in a foil-lined roasting pan for approximately 10 minutes or until the glaze is burnished and bubbly. Should you want to do the braising stage in advance and then let the ham cool, clove and glaze it and give it 30-40 minutes, from room temperature, at 350 F, turning up the heat towards the end if you think it needs it.

Serves eight people.

Hey Lucy

How were the MICE pies?

Did Perry help you catch the mice??

LOL!!

....sorry!! You already know I'm a bugger but now I'm a hot, fat, uncomfortable pregnant one!

....just couldn't resist your typo!!

Seeya

LOL Kelli, you're a crack up.........I hadn't noticed my revolting typo. I wouldn't mind, but I am so totally phobic about mice........just the though sends me into a sweat!

The MINCE pies were delish........eaten within the day, so I had to make more for Boxing day!

carmen Guest

Default Christmas Cake recipe

Hello

Does anyone have a good Christmas cake recipe - I have decided that since I will be at home this year I am going to treat myself and make a traditional Christmas cake and I know that you are supposed to make them a couple of months in advance.

I am not much of a cook so the easier the better.

Thanks

Hi Carmen,

You are organised!

Here is an eay one that I use every year. The only problem with this is I am not sure how long you can store it for? I guess wrapped up an foil in an airtight tin it would last maybe 3 months?

Easy Christmas Cake

3 eggs
    400g fruit mince (out of the jar)
    170g caster sugar
    375g mixed dried fruit
    125g chopped walnuts
    310g plain flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 cup brandy

~ Preheat oven to 150`c
    ~ Grease a 23cm cake tin and line the sides and the base of the tin with 3 layers of baking paper
    ~ In a large bowl, beat together the eggs & milk
    ~ Then add the fruit mince, the sugar, the mixed fruit and the walnuts, and stir well until combined
    ~ Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix well
    ~ Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and bake for approx 2 hours 15 mins (test with a skewer...if the skewer comes out clean, then it is cooked)
    ~ Remove from oven and pour the brandy over the top of the warm cake
    ~ Leave to cool/allow the brandy to fully soak in whilst the cake is still in the tin
    ~ Wrap a few layers of tin foil and store

A few days before Christmas (optional)

~ Heat 2 tablespoons apricot jam and 2 tabslespoons of water together in a small pan, stirring until melted and combined
    ~ Strain through a fine sieve and brush the glaze over the cake.
    ~ After an hour or so, the cake is ready to ice with firstly a layer of marzipan and then a layer of royal icing.

carmen Guest

Thank Olivia

I am collecting the recipes but when I actually get around to doing anything is likely to be a completely different story!!!

kirsty Guest

Default Christmas Food

How do you do yours if you have one???

Preferably hot versions would be great.

Thanx

*TamaraP* Guest

we dont have it served hot...

We just slice it finely and put it on a bed of

lettuce
    thinly sliced tomatoes
    cuccumber

any other sort of vegie...

Or if you want.
    slow bake it in the oven but fill it with a mustard sauce recipe so when you cut it open it drizzles out...

Ham off the bone is the one type of ham you can have safely when PG. So long as it is kept cold its fine. I remember researching this last year for all the pg girls LOL!

There is a FANTASTIC hot version in the SFI's for Xmas, I can post the recipe if you like, but next time you are in coles/safeway check it out it looks sooooooo good!

I've always wanted to try Nigella's Ham & Coke

*hugs*
    Cailin

Righto guys here goes.... it seems like alot of work... but it really isnt... believe me....

&it is soooo yummy... DH normally has half it eaten before he even gets it all cut up LMAO...

Hope you enjoy it guys... we always do

Baked Virginian Ham

Cover ham in big pot with water, boil ham hard for 1-1 1/5 hours.

Leave overnight in pot with towels to keep heat in.

Next Day
    Remove skin only, leaving fat behind, score fat with sharp knife. Pop one clove (i use the dry whole cloves in the packet)in each square.

Mix together
    ½ cup brown sugar
    2 table spoons breadcrumbs
    1 teaspoon (dry) mustard

Spread over ham.

Then mix
    ½ cup pineapple juice
    ½ cup orange juice

Place ham in roasting dish, pour juice over ham.
    Bake ½ hour – 45 mins or till (350F/175-200C)
    Baste with juices every 15 mins or so.

Let cool down & Enjoy.

Default Non-Alcoholic Punch

Does anyone have a good recipe of a non-alcoholic punch?

kirsty Guest

Mine is a really easy one.

I buy the Paradise Punch juice by Just Juice, then add a splash of ginger ale, then top it up with lemonade.

Then if you like you can add fruit to it like, strawberries etc.

Mine is so similar!!

I buy those 3 litre tins of paradise punch by Berry, pour in a 1.5 litre bottle of ginger ale, toss in some strawberries which I've chopped up and a packet of frozen berries and ice and then top up with lemonaide.

mine is very similar - and a must at our christmas relly bash

Golden Circle Sunshine Punch
    Lemonade
    Ginger ale
    mint
    strawberries

Delicious!

Bel

and I add some cold tea to mine.... tasted fabulous. You can even add some of the fruit infusions tea (YUMMY)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast